ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
stinkyrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Slate mountain mine

SLATE MOUNTAIN MINE DUALSPORT RIDE
If you’ve been looking for a dual sport adventure with an opportunity to explore a remote gold mine, then look no further this is the adventure you’ve been looking for.

Slate Mountain Mine Dual Sport Adventure Ride; begins in the historic gold rush town of Placerville and explores wagon roads, twisty single-lane paved roads and remote dirt roads in search of a remote abandon gold mine. This dual sport adventure ride leaves Placerville behind as it travels on fun back roads to the American River Canyon to the historic gold discovery site where it all began.

Gold Discovery; on January 24, 1848, an event occurred in Coloma that would radically impact the history of California and the Nation. James W. Marshall was building a sawmill for Captain John Sutter, using water from the South Fork of the American River, James Marshall suddenly noticed several flakes of metal in the tailrace and recognized the flakes to be “gold”.

Although he tried to keep it a secret, the word spread quickly, and triggered the California Gold Rush of 1849. Riders will have the opportunity to travel through the historic gold discovery site in Coloma Valley and view the historic gold discovery site before crossing the American River. After the river crossing this dual sport adventure ride quickly leaves civilization behind as it travels up and out of the canyon on a narrow wagon road to a nearby mining camp where the famous James Marshall died. Continuing on, riders will find themselves exploring into the woods on twisty single-lane forest service roads and eventually exploring deeper into the woods on remote dirt roads in search of the historic Slate Mountain Mine. You will have a unique opportunity to explore a historic gold mine and view the iron rails that once carried the precious ore from deep inside Slate Mountain.

James Marshall and Gold discovery; On the morning of January 24, 1848 Marshall was examining the channel below the mill when he noticed some shiny flakes in the channel bed.* As later recounted by Marshall: I picked up one or two pieces and examined them attentively; and having some general knowledge of minerals, I could not call to mind more than two which in any way resembled this, very bright and brittle; and gold, bright, yet malleable.

* I then tried it between two rocks, and found that it could be beaten into a different shape, but not broken.* I then collected four or five pieces and went up to Mr. Scott (who was working at the carpenters bench making the mill wheel) with the pieces in my hand and said, “I have found it.”* “What is it?” inquired Scott.* “Gold,” I answered. “Oh! No,” replied Scott, “That can’t be.” I said,– “I know it to be nothing else.”

The metal was confirmed to be gold after members of Marshall’s crew performed tests on the metal—boiling it in a lye solution and hammering it to test its malleability. Marshall, still primarily concerned with the completion of the sawmill, permitted his crew to search for gold during their free time. By the time Marshall returned to Sutter’s Fort, four days later, the war had ended and California was about to become an American possession. Marshall shared his discovery with Sutter, who performed further tests on the gold and told Marshall that it was “of the finest quality, of at least 23 carats [96%].”

News of the discovery soon reached around the world. The immediate impact for Marshall was negative. His sawmill failed when the all able-bodied men in the area abandoned everything to search for gold. Before long, arriving hordes of prospectors forced him off his land. Marshall soon left the area. Marshall returned to Coloma in 1857 and found some success in the 1860s with a vineyard he started. That venture ended in failure towards the end of the decade, due mostly to higher taxes and increased competition. He returned to prospecting in the hopes of finding success. He became a partner in a gold mine near Kelsey, California but the mine yielded nothing and left Marshall practically bankrupt. The California State Legislature awarded him a two-year pension in 1872 in recognition of his role in an important era in California history. It was renewed in 1874 and 1876 but lapsed in 1878. Marshall, penniless, eventually ended up living in a small cabin and died in Kelsey on August 10, 1885.

Slate Mountain Mine – Dual Sport Adventure
*This dual sport adventure ride is perfect for medium to large dual sport bikes.
*Off-road terrain is rated “mild to moderate” with lots of gold rush history & adventure.
*Ride distance: 150+ miles round trip (75 miles dirt roads)
*One gas stop (at half way point)
*Bring water & food (Don’t forget your camera)
Date: Saturday November 3, 2012
Meeting Time: 9:30 a.m. (return approx. 5:00 p.m.)

Pre-register – contact: markg@SierraNevadaAdventures.com

Questions?

stinkyrider screwed with this post 04-15-2014 at 11:37 AM
stinkyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyrider View Post
Questions?
How much does it cost to participate?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
stinkyrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I believe it's $20 bucks if you pre-register, and $30 if you don't. Be sure and check out sierranevadaadventures.com for more details on past and present rides.
We usually do allot of riding through a complex route that Mark will map out, and i'm always amazed at the history and terrain we cover.

stinkyrider screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 10:13 AM
Old 10-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Subscribed to thread. Know this area well, been in mine, can't wait to see your RR.
St.Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Well...?

At least a quickie verbal report. My curiosity is piqued, going to head out there this weekend.
St.Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
stinkyrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Slate mountain mine follow up

The ride was excellent with about 9 riders showing up, and the usual mix of KTM's, Beemers, and the "good old reliable, made in japan" models, that I love so dearly, but mostly because they're always in my price range! and I love it when the groups are a little smaller because the pace is always a little smoother and quicker. I however, was not so smooth and quick as I had forgot my camera and thus the lack of pictures. So everybody will have to suffer through Mark's blurry nikon photos at http://www.facebook.com/SNAmark or http://www.facebook.com/pages/SierraNevadaAdventurescom
Now, I don't know if you have been out with Sierra Nevada Adventures before, but if you haven't, your in for a surprise, because as usual, it was a blur of what seemed to be every perfect single lane road and dirt road that winded it's way towards the Placerville area until we finally arrived at the slate mountain mine. I'm sure there was a shorter way there, but this route was definitely the best. I tried hard to figure out where I was half of the day, but Mark just keeps bouncing from backroad to backroad, like one long continuous roller coaster. It was literally a blur. And the selection of roads couldn't have been any better. Even though it had rained a day earlier, the mud wasn't too bad, just a couple of tough stretch's here and there, just enough to keep you on your toes, but not enough to instal scared lizard mode. There were one or two naps being taken by various bikes, but as always, every one gets together and helps they're fallen brethren. What a great bunch of guys and what a great day. Thanks again Mark.