ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2014, 06:18 AM   #1
Ge-Mini-gun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Swimming holes

Posted this in a different section and another member recommended I post it here.

Looking for some information. I’ve looked all over the net with no luck so here I am. We have a chocolate lab and are looking for place to take him swimming…we’ve been to the following places, Trout Pond (Wardensville, WV), Lake Frederick (Stephens City, VA), boat landing (Strasburg, VA), various places along the Shenandoah River route 7 and route 50 and Front Royal, VA boat landing. While these are nice places they can get busy at times which hinders the reason we’re there…to wear him out. He’s 7 months old and is “leashed” the entire time (75’ of ski rope) as he’ll run to anybody and go home with same…EXTREMELY friendly to the point of annoyance and easily distracted. We would like to stay within 2 hours drive of Winchester, VA, needless to say he needs to be allowed to swim and retrieve his decoy…which is also tethered (see easily distracted).So with all that said where to go?Thanks!

Switching to DirectTV - use this 52824519
Ge-Mini-gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,056
Head north on US-522, just north of Cross Junction go west on SR-127(Bloomery Pike). A few miles west of Bloomery, WV. is a Sportsmans Public Access(39.403123,-78.417494) on the Capon River.

Usually nobody there in the summer. The water is plenty deep enough around and downstream of the bridge for a dog to swim, even in the summer.
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
5punksdad
Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer: 2,547
if that doesn't work I have a place in front royal on the Shenandoah..... water is plenty deep enough and 400'of shoreline.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,429
There is also Warden Lake. It's stocked and the only time you see crowds is right after they stock it. Moores Run Rd., off of 259, just north of the junction with Rt 48/55. Coming from 55, it's a left turn just after you cross the bridge.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote