Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2005, 06:59 AM   #16
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,246
Actually the Albanian police ride a plue version of a bike that looks like this also. Didn't Guzzi actually make an Adv bike that was more like a GS as opposed to this one which maybe does meet the requirements about like the original 800 BMW Paris Dakar but doesn't look like the models of today, is what I meant.

OK
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 08:57 AM   #17
billy bee
AAdventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by westnash
Didn't Guzzi actually make an Adv bike that was more like a GS as opposed to this one which maybe does meet the requirements about like the original 800 BMW Paris Dakar but doesn't look like the models of today, is what I meant.
I still don't know what you mean, but the V65TT and NTX were Moto Guzzis answer to the R80G/S.

BillB
working a little,
playing a little,
and surrounded by friends.

--Ishi: In Two Worlds

billy bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 09:39 AM   #18
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

I am sure you are right but didn't Guzzi make some type of ADV bike that was larger and had more of a GS look to it than these...,these may well like the 800 BMW'sbut that is a long way from the bulked up looks of the 1150 versions. I though Guzzi did the same but maybe they didn't come to the USA.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:33 AM   #19
JoeKher
Third world or bust!

Oddometer: 162
The Quota.

It is the large ADV. bike Guzzi produced and did sell in the US (I have three friends with them!)

Nice Bike!
JoeKher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:56 AM   #20
billy bee
AAdventurer

There may be something in additoin to the Quota the Guzzi did not import. Been meaning to have a look at Guzziology to see what you might be thinking about.

BillB
working a little,
playing a little,

Old 06-20-2005, 12:10 PM   #21
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Check it out there IS or WAS one out there. The Quota might be ok but it is the difference between the 800 PD and the 1150 GS/ADV.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:47 PM   #22
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Still no answer on finding the True Guzzi Adventure Bike?
Old 06-23-2005, 06:02 PM   #23
billy bee
AAdventurer

I haven't broken out my copy of Guzziology yet. If Guzzi made it, it is in there. There were other bikes. Like the NTX, but that was only 650cc's, too.

BillB

Quote:
Originally Posted by westnash
Still no answer on finding the True Guzzi Adventure Bike?
working a little,
playing a little,

Old 06-23-2005, 06:14 PM   #24
jimjib
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,649

jimjib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:01 PM   #25
billy bee
AAdventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjib

OK, here's the Cliff notes on what Richardson says in Guzziology: MG made 3 different dual sports, Quota (and Quota ES1100), TT, and the NTX. The TT came in 350cc and 650cc variations. The NTX in 650 and 750cc variations.

One of these pictured bikes is an NTX, obviously, but I cannot tell if it is a 650 or 750. Not sure what the other bike is, but I would guess it is some modified 750cc NTX. If they are both NTXs, both have been modified as the NTX came with a low front fender, according to Richardson.

I would guess somebody has an NTX in PHX. There is a shop in AZ the fiddles with unusual bikes; Encore Performance and Fabrication. At one point in time they owned (and crashed) my bike. Called them to see if they had any parts. Ended up getting parts from Italy.

Hope this solves the mystery...

bb
working a little,
playing a little,

Old 06-23-2005, 08:10 PM   #26
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

In a 30 second search I found a MG Quota 1100 ES that is the true MG Adventure bike. Good looking and with a GS sized motor. Maybe some of you can post a picture!
Old 06-23-2005, 08:50 PM   #27
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,769
there are two more possibilities.

In the 1980s Guzzi made a V65TT Baja. According to Mick Walker, this was a special order, hand built works racer. It was for Dakar and other rallies. Last year in the Racing Forum someone (Spanish Bob?) posted a pic of one at a Dakar museum in Spain. Obviously, these are incredibly rare. The only two pictures I have ever seen make me dream about them.

The other possibility is the original Quota 1000. It was never imported to the US. It is even taller than the 1100 Quota and is supposedly more dirt capable. It looks similar. It has a very tall seat height, like 38 inches.

There are times when I wish I had a Quota, but I bought a KTM 640 and an Guzzi SPII instead. But, money and time permitting, I am no kidding going to make a Quota far more dirt worthy or build a Tonti framed dirt Guzzi. Neither one makes any sense, but if a modified Tonti frame will work I'll take that route. If it won't, I'll start with a Quota and work on the suspension and see what else I can do to make it work better in the dirt. There is a nutter in Australia that was working on a Tonti framed one. I don't know how far he got but I'm trying to find out.

Why would I do such a thing? Simple. I love Guzzis and want one I can ride where GS's can't go.

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 10:04 AM   #28
jimjib
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,649
asdf

"Neither one makes any sense,"

That never stoped me...my buddys still think I am nuts

Let us know how your project goes....I had a Scura and fell in love with that Guzzy motor.
jimjib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:16 AM   #29
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

somehow I don't think this is a Guzzi. The picture of the Quota 1100 ES is pretty sharp. If it was reliable and priced right it should have given the GS some competition.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:44 AM   #30
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjib
"Neither one makes any sense,"

That never stoped me...my buddys still think I am nuts

Let us know how your project goes....I had a Scura and fell in love with that Guzzy motor.
We need to talk. Seriously.

I have my old 1988 883/1200 racebike gathering dust in my garage. It's my first bike and I'll never sell it, but its currently used as a shelf. I rode it stock for a while, put highway pegs, fringed saddle bags, and a windshield on it, then turned it into a roadracer for two seasons. That old bike is in my soul.

About 15 years ago I saw write up of anoher DS Sporty, but it was nothing like this! Doing one was always in the back of my mind, but I pretty much decidded I was going to put a sidecar on it. But now? If your's rides half as good as it looks, I'm sold.

Maybe I'll make it a DS sidecar rig. Ah the insanity!

Please PM me or email me DC950@excite.com.

thx

DC

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote