Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2005, 11:10 AM   #46
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjib
ktm rear wheel, wp shock, showa fork, klr fairing, ATK plastic, c&J racing frame,
Your inspiration for doing this? How does she handle? Exceed your expectations?
Looks great. Thanks for showing us.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:26 AM   #47
Pete Rock
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
I´ve always heard Quotas have terrible gas mileage, is it true?

Pete Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:43 PM   #48
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,244
That 1000 Quota with the alum bags looks great. maybe this bike could have been the reliable GS that would have sold well today and at a lot cheaper price.

The 650 shown was exactly the type as the police bikes I saw all over Albania.

As for the Sportster scrambler....good luck!
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 01:55 PM   #49
jimjib
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
snuffy

In this order....

1. Great low end torque in a narrow package.

2. Good fuel econemy (I have heard of guys getting in the high 50s if your are mellow with the throttle.

3. The sporster motor is realiable (made them forever), simple and easy to
work on.

4. Parts can be had anywhere (in the US)

5. Tons of hop up stuff if you want to go that direction.

6. My bike weighs 454 lbs...ready to roll with 1/2 tank of gas. This is 100 lbs
lighter than my GS was.

7. It sounds wonderful.

8. Nobody looks at the $60,000 choppers when I pull up

The first test ride told me that it was worth spending more time on..to get the suspension and frame geometry dial in. The bike has since had 2 more degrees of rake put in and the front down tubes changed to get clearance for the 21 in wheel. I am hoping everything will be back togeather in a month or so. The "Bajaharley" will kill a telelever gs in the rough stuff. There is just no substitute for 11.5 inches of travel. I think the Quota would be a wonderful machine to do the same treatment too.
jimjib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 03:16 PM   #50
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,244
Idont think the Quota needs it.......If you can make the d/s sportster work and be reliable and not be just a basket of parts not meant to work with each other it would be truly unique.

A few years ago when they couldnt give Harleys away there was a $3995 sportster offered. You may remember it. That bike is probably still worth as much as new or maybe more and there are plenty of parts. Still a lot of questions in my mind but it will have the best known sound in the world on start up.
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 03:40 PM   #51
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjib
ktm rear wheel, wp shock, showa fork, klr fairing, ATK plastic, c&J racing frame,
Jimjib, nice work man! I can't get over how "factory" your bike looks. Obviously a lot of attention to detail went into that baby.

I have an older Heritage Softail and I don't ride it much 'cause I'm more into touring, especially the kind that involves dirt roads and easy trails. But when I do ride it, it never ceases to amaze me how enjoyable the easy, rumbling cadence and smooth torque of those two big, narrowly spaced pistons can be. Truly there's nothing like it. I've often thought how great it would be in the frame of my Airhead GSPD.

Oh, oh, now the wheels are turning. Do you happen to know the weight of the Sportster motor?
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:11 PM   #52
jimjib
Beastly Adventurer

asd

I can't remember what the weight of the engine ...but I know when I first picked it up I was surprised at how heavy it was.

Like all factory big trailies....the suspension on the quota is marginal and really holds it back. For me, suspenion is everything and is the key to enjoying a bike or not. Many times you need to attack an obstical..and its just not possible with wimpy short travel forks.

I will match the sporster realiability with the guzzi any day. I had a v11 scura...and had it in the shop for warentee work many times. That isnt to say guzzi guys dont pile up tons of miles...but I think the sporster motor will be better...we shall see.

From everything I have gleened of the sportster and buell sites, problems with the sporster motor occur when people really lean on the motor for more hP. Mine was a stock 883 (now a 1200)... and when left in a mild state of tune its pretty much a stone axe they say. I have only about 3000 miles on mine so far but its never missed a lick yet.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:36 PM   #53
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
Jimjib, I can't stop thinking about your Bajaharley. Do you have a website or Webshot/Smugmug type place with more photos/info.?

Not trying to copy your idea, I've just been thinking about a Harley powered adventure touring bike for awhile and you've really done it beautifully. Since I don't bash around hard off-road and since long distance comfort with the ability to go for miles off-road, (logging roads, light trails), is more important, mine would be more BMW GSPD style, but yours' offers mucho inspiration.

Anyone else with any ideas about this type of project, please feel free to wax philosophic.
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:28 PM   #54
jimjib
Beastly Adventurer

Feel free to gleen what you want...it would be nice to have another one around. I dont have any really detailed pictures..but as soon as the bike is up and running again...I will post anything you want to see.

My bike is really tall...and even at 6'2" i am on my tippy toes. Which is fine because my short friends dont ask to ride it It really would be better setting a bit lower...but it just looks to damn cool like it is. I have to head out right now but will pass on more info later.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:52 PM   #55
Desertpistons
80s dakar

Oddometer: 247
Wink guzzi quotas and bajas

Hi folks. joined recently the forum. This is my first posting.

I own a Guzzi Baja 85, which after being restored, it would make it across the pond in the next few months.

Guzzi has produced only 17 Bajas, built on the v65 tt model, just for the dakar race. Such bikes were never offcially registered for the road and are acutually called "prototypes" .What is very interesting is that these bikes were mostly manufactured for the French Guzzi importer that wanted such Guzzis to partecipate. In fact, only three of them are currently in Italy. I own one of them. Of these 17 bikes, only 2 bikes have the 4 valves engine.

I took me 6 months to find out all the information required to restore such an unusual vehicle. All the people at Guzzi that built these bikes are gone and there are almost no spare parts available for it. Theses bikes have only a kick starter that folds under the frame. The v65 tt instead has only an electric starter.The most interesting part of the bike is the tank which is made by alluminium and it was welded with a torch and it took 3 days to be hand made at the factory. I actually met the guy who made them and he is still in business and repaired mine that was dented. The bike is very different form the v65 tt with which it shares the engine and the frame.

The only problem of the bike is its engine, whose among the guzzis is one of the most unreliable. The small block was previously designed for a smaller engine displacement and then bored to 650cc. Everyone that owns guzzis knows this fact. The 4 valves 650 is even more unreliable, that is the reason why the 4 valves was never raced at the dakar.

To be precise, only the 650 baja raced the dakar. Keep in mind that Guzzis in the 80s had serious financial problems, actually it always had such problems and couldn't support its racing bikes at the races as the BMW and Cagivas did. I use to live 100 miles from the factory and lived its ups and downs. ... If Guzzis would have pumped enough money as the Castiglioni brothers did with their Cagivas, they would definetely have done better at the dakar.

The quota is defintely a more modern and better engine bike, a well built dual purpose bike, but as you know, it was never utilized by the factory in the dakar races.

Frankenbeemer
Desertpistons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 06:58 PM   #56
Inniswhe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
How does the Quota compare

Can anyone comment how does the quota compare to other bikes in the same price range like the 1990-1995 R100GS.
The Quota is heavy so I assume it must be difficult off road but I wonder where it falls compared to other so called dual purpose machines.
Also does anyone know what the ride height/peg location is like for taller riders. I am 6'3" and searching for an adventure bike for $5000 or less and the Quotas I see advertised for sale look like good value compared to the older BMW's.

Thanks for any comments
Inniswhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 09:30 PM   #57
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniswhe
Can anyone comment how does the quota compare to other bikes in the same price range like the 1990-1995 R100GS.
The Quota is heavy so I assume it must be difficult off road but I wonder where it falls compared to other so called dual purpose machines.
Also does anyone know what the ride height/peg location is like for taller riders. I am 6'3" and searching for an adventure bike for $5000 or less and the Quotas I see advertised for sale look like good value compared to the older BMW's.

Thanks for any comments
Quota weighs about 540 lbs, so it is around 100 lbs heavier than the old R100GS. Quota is probably more comparable to a late model R1150GS in size and weight.

Ground clearance can be a bit of an issue on a Quota if the going gets real rough. Use Conti TKC80 tires if you plan on much gravel/dirt.

Seat height is listed at 32.8-inches.

Remember that Less than 200 Quotas are in the USA. Most everything interchanges with other Guzzis, but bodywork can be tough to find if you tear something up in a big crash. Of course, they are so cheap, you could just almost justify buying a second Quota as a donor bike/2-wheeled parts supply.

Here's a spec sheet for you:
http://www.epfguzzi.com/models/y2quota.html

A Quota can take you places!
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:04 PM   #58
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,001
Wicked

Here's one of those Quotas on ebay, pretty reasonable as well....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...QQcmdZViewItem

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 12:59 AM   #59
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin
Here's one of those Quotas on ebay, pretty reasonable as well....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...QQcmdZViewItem
That one is at a BMW/Triumph dealership that I pass everyday. I'd love to pick that one up, but it ain't in the cards right now...
Old 11-23-2005, 09:29 AM   #60
Inniswhe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Krusty and Rocker 59

Thanks for the info.

Krusty have you had a close look at that bike , do you know what kind of condition it is in up close? Are these engines good for higher mileage ?

Anyone else have any comments on how the Quota compares the other dual purpose bikes. I want something in the $3000-5000 range and older BMW GS's seem pricy for the age but parts are readily available. I have also been looking at the older Transalp'sw which are lighter for off road use and can be serviced by local Honda mechanics. There is no BMW or Moto Guzzi dealers anywhere close to where I am in Canada but I think with the right manuals , the internet, and help from local bike mechanics and can probably keep an older BMW going or even a Quota if they are not too complicated.

The price,looks, and V-twin style of the Quota is calling. ( I had a Honda CX650E about 10 years ago that was a copy of the MG configuration)
Inniswhe is offline   Reply With Quote