Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2008, 03:02 PM   #76
Marvin the Martian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bee
Of course, it could be an earlier Goose like the V65TT, more akin to the R80G/S than an Adventure, of course...

This is a terrific bike...you should buy it.

BillB
First one I've seen, cool.
Marvin the Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:06 PM   #77
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC950
way back in this thread I wrote about building a better Quota. Well, I'm getting serious about it. I am parting out my old Le Mans roadrace bike to get the cash to do it. I've located a fine set of forks and will go from there. I'll keep you posted, but don't expect much till I accumulate all the parts.
Dying to see the outcome. Do keep us posted.
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:50 AM   #78
Rozzkoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Rozzkoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:39 AM   #79
Rozzkoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
hello all, 2nd posting ever.. thought i'd kick it up a notch and actually write something..
not much to say, except.. "guzzi adventure bike??" RIGHT ON!!!
yes indeed, after 5 years spent tracking one down in Europe (me being in Canada), and importing it into North America via an Italian/Canadian friend, I do have my 1989 NTX650 sitting downstairs.. in pieces, of course,.. (replacing all bolts with stainless versions, etc), but it'll be out and about in a month or two.. The NTX series are brilliant; not too tall (but just about.. i'm 6'1") and heavy like its big-block brother the Quota. NTX=170kgs= 370?? lbs) 650 cc = perfect size (IMHO) (100 mph top speed). Incredible Guzzi torque and sound, shaft drive, lots of ground clearance, manageable weight, Guzzi simplicity (every nut and bolt is accesable and Easy to understand), accessibility (except for the air filter) and reliability, lots of parts avail. (except for original Acerbis plastic gastank) as these PG engines were used on different small-block 650 setups. The lario 4 valve 650 may have been used in the Australian Wynn's Baja racer that has already been posted.. maybe. I think that was the story on that bike... but in the normal NTX, they used the normal, indestructible 2 valve per head PG 650 engine. NTX frame is not like road Guzzis. Different and unique, I believe, although still a Tonti-style frame.. it is certainly not the same frame as my 81 V50 II. 350 and 650 NTX (and TT?) has 40mm marzocchi shocks up front (not sure about 750), dual mx580 marzocchi shocks on the rear.. yes the cops in Italy and other places used the 750 PA (Public Administration) versions , with larger alternators?? , cop wiring , sirens, etc.. and small hard saddlebags.. 750 bodywork is different than the 350 and 650 ntx's (which are identical except for air cleaners).. There were about 4 ? different paint schemes, .. mine is the white and blue with red pinstriping .. theres a photo of one a few pages back, only in that photo, the guy has put on a custom exhaust.. (normally 2 into 1 on the right side) kinda white paint scheme, unless you're into the colour white, and very 80's.. Beggar's cant be chosers! One day I may paint it black.. or purple.. or mauve....
Small-Block Guzzi's from the 80's (750cc's and less) rock! Thanks, Allesandro de Tomaso, for having Guzzi make them! Thanks, Tonti, for designing the small-blocks!
yes, Quota's are super-cool looking, but hey.. if you're planning on actually throwing around a Guzzi in the dirt.. go with a small-block TT or NTX. The TT to me is more of an Enduro/Dirt bike Style.. small tank, no fairing. The NTX? Adventure Riding. BIG tank (32litres), fairing, .. good to go..
Now, some may say, "well, 750 must be better than 650?" No, I dont agree. For starters, the bodywork on the 750 is uglier than on the 350/650 ntx. And, the 750 apparently does not increase the horsepower over the 650.. just kinda makes it more torquey for longer?? not sure, just a rumour, i will investigate this further.. i'm an NTX addict, so spend far too much time trying to find links to this bike. They made maybe a couple thousand NTX's over 6?? years.. very low production, like all Guzzi's. And someday, that will pay off, when people realize just how low the production figures really were! In '94, it was like 3,500?? total Guzzi production out of the factory apparently! Love it!!! Guzzi's are totally undervalued. Someday people will wake up and realize they are Infinately Rare, collectible and valuable!
I'll send a photo when I get my baby back together for the Spring..
ps. the NTX350's and TT350's are REALLY neat.. very light!! not good for touring ? at only 350cc (unless yer hardcore), but perfect for bashing through the trails! If you ever find one, grab it! (2-3 grand $US, if you can find one! 650's and 750's go for about 2,500-5,000) They were never imported into North America. Nearly, but then not. they didn't want to have to rejet the carbs for USA emissions spec's.. something like that..
Poor Guzzi. Just don't get any respect..
Rozzkoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:32 AM   #80
apeirce
So I was following Andrew

Oddometer: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal
Did somebody mention Cagiva? It's pretty clear that Suzuki copied the Gran Canyon, too bad something was lost in the translation!!

Attachment 129706
Yeah, high price, excessive maintenance, expensive and hard to find parts.

(Coming from a KTM rider)
Old 03-04-2009, 08:34 AM   #81
baldwithglasses
Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjib

Let us know how your project goes....I had a Scura and fell in love with that Guzzy motor.
Jimjib, I think you need to start up a thread on this bike. It looks awesome, and I'd like to know more.
baldwithglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:45 AM   #82
jegrmajstr
thumper tourer

Oddometer: 135
V65 TT - yes or no?

So the dilemma (not really ):

1984 Guzzi V65 TT, mint condition, 4k miles, under 2k US - yes or no?

All that's keeping me from lunging for the bike right this minute is the reliability and parts availability How reliable is the small-block 650 actually?

I'm asking this because I've heard conflicting accounts on valves giving up and so on Also being such a rare creature parts can be scarce no?

'85 Moto Guzzi V65 TT (never heard of it?)

'93 Yamaha XT 350 Touroduro (sold & missed)
jegrmajstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #83
jegrmajstr
thumper tourer

Nevermind, bought it anyway Cant wait to get 'er home

Old 09-18-2010, 10:44 AM   #84
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,145
Well done, good choice, but you already know that...

Hell, the motor's still in production, what's not to like !

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:29 AM   #85
Desertpistons
80s dakar

Oddometer: 254
engine

Good Job,

The engine is solid. Bullshit to the ones that tell you otherwise- they may be mistaking for the 4 valves which originally was grinding cams before Guzzi came out with the fix....
I have a little bit of everything so I am not bias at all. The weak link is the back final drive. The frame is also not as rigid as other bikes of that time but it is fine. Enjoy it...
Desertpistons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #86
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,985
Time for another showing of my Guzzi NTX 650....one of believed to be only 3 in the UK.

For those who are interested and may have missed it first time around,here is a link to my trials and tribulations from buying the NTX as a non-registered non-runner to getting it sorted and running..and finally registered and on the road.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=ntx650

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:15 PM   #87
Desertpistons
80s dakar

Nice NTX!

Good job fella!!!

I missed the thread otherwise I would have help you with parts (I have few at home) and advices. I have the same bike in the US- and in the rare yellow color. I guess I am the only one that I know that has one here as the NTX was never officially imported.

Regarding "il registro storico Guzzi"; what a bunch of "stronzi -which literally translates in chunks of s**t " . I have written several times asking for help to identify how many Bajas were built and so on and the answer (and the reason is because I wrote in Italian) was that they didnt take note of the production so there is no historical proof that they ever made them. Ridiculous......

well good job... and nice bike
Old 09-28-2010, 06:36 PM   #88
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,985
Like in my own NTX Thread,thank you Frankenbeemer.

It`s great owning such a rarity,isn`t it ?

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:47 PM   #89
Desertpistons
80s dakar

you are right

Yes , I cant complain off course

Believe me if I tell that i got that bike just by being curious and being able to recognize it among other used bikes. The French seller didn't have a clue of what he had in his hands and i dint tell him, Probably the best bike deal of my life!
regarding the baja......I always struggle with the fact that i cannot (i shouldn't) ride it hard as it is supposed to be offroad. After the restoration, I just looked at it and turn it on at least once a year.... This is the reason I am building my kind of v65TT with bits and pieces...I can then talk intelligently with the G/S guys and compare...and more important abuse it.....i can get the spares to fix it up
Old 09-30-2010, 03:20 PM   #90
jegrmajstr
thumper tourer

Also agree

What I also like about these bikes is their rarity. My V65 is the only one in my country, on which I'm proud. I like beeing distinguished from other, or else I would be riding a Fazer or a V-strom Not that they're bad bikes, there's just too many of them on the road

For now, after 2 days of wrenching on the V65 (oil, plugs, filters, brakes, replacing turn signals, carb cleaning and LOTS of rotted lines and rubber) I learned to hate the italian design. Sure it's compact as it can be, but inaccessible, crammed and downright bizzare setup of things is what is ticking me off

Also, I think the bike isn't running as it should... There a 'hole' in the acceleration, but after that it pull through the rpm. I'm suspecting an air leak somewhere in the sistem, that POS that's called an airbox doesn't seal. I think i'll dump the thing and go with dual aftermarket filters

And one last question... The fuel line was leaking and since I couldn't find an X connecting piece for the lines, I just linked carbs and petcocks with two separate lines - one on each side. Is that a bad idea or can I leave it?