User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #91
Desertpistons
80s dakar

Oddometer: 247
x lines

The cross X function is only to even the load of fuel between the sides of the tank so that the bike is balanced weight wise. You can buy BMW T links (2 units) and connect them before the line goes into the carb or you can buy the split nipples from dellorto and install it on you carbs. They all do the same functions.
Desertpistons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #92
jegrmajstr
thumper tourer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenbeemer

The cross X function is only to even the load of fuel between the sides of the tank so that the bike is balanced weight wise. You can buy BMW T links (2 units) and connect them before the line goes into the carb or you can buy the split nipples from dellorto and install it on you carbs. They all do the same functions.
Yeah, kinda figured that out, two T links did the trick
Also fixed the running-like-crap symptoms, new carb intake sleeves were all that was needed, since old ones were rotten and not even the same

Registered the bike and took it for a spin today, now I'm satisfied with it (as long as my tinker habit hasn't kicked in ), still forgot to take some pics though

'85 Moto Guzzi V65 TT (never heard of it?)

'93 Yamaha XT 350 Touroduro (sold & missed)
jegrmajstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #93
jegrmajstr
thumper tourer

carb setup

Guys, I need some help...

The new intake rubbers were shredded after less then 1000km (and almost leaving me stranded, thanks god for duct tape ) I decided to order along some other bits and pieces to replace all over the bike. So, the carbs are getting rebuilt, since the brass bits inside were well coroded and worn.

Now, does anyone have some advice on optimum carb settings (needle position, air and mixture screws, jets etc...) for a stock mill, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel as I go along...

And I doubt that the bike was set up well to begin with (left cylinder little lean, right cylinder little rich), I just want to be sure I'm getting it right when I put everything back together.

Can't wait to fire the oldie up again, it's been sitting in the garage for 2 months now due to my chronic lack of time

Old 06-16-2011, 02:52 AM   #94
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe View Post
The Goootsy NTX is a nice looking bike....

I briefly owned that bike - not one like it - THAT bike; nice concept - but it's the ONLY bike (of about 80 I've owned) that I sold in pieces. I had a gutsful of it falling to bits - and I've owned at least one Guzzi every single day since 1977.
Within 50 metres of coming off the trailer on Day One, its electronic ignition failed. In getting that fixed, the rotted exhaust literally fell apart, so a bike sparky fixed the ignition and a stainless replica of the original pipe was made. The gearbox was leaking so a rebuild with new seals & gaskets was done and all the induction rubbers were rotted so they were replaced and a hard life meant that various supports, plastic tabs, panels etc were bent or broken so a complete set of bodywork was imported from Italy, and the frame was rusty, so the bike was stripped entirely, ready for recoating.
All this took about two years and upwards of $2500, over and above the purchase price. With the sniff of a Caponord becoming available, when someone expressed interest with only about a $1500 loss, I helped the new owner load it up.
I never actually rode it. In contrast, my Caponord needed a few details - wheel bearings, brake rotors, a chain - and has proved dead-stone reliable for 18 months and over 20,000km of commuting, touring, dirt-road hauling and even pick-up duties.
In contrast my wife has a red V65TT - yep, the girl's bike - and she does like it as a counterpoint to her V50 Monza; the TT's downsides are the lower gearing for on-road use, the small tank and the truly appalling brakes.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #95
jegrmajstr
thumper tourer

Anyone tried to front double-disc a TT or an NTX? Rim has holes to mount the second disc, but making a bracket for the right caliper would be tricky... Also, would the front master cylinder provide enough pressure?

Cheers, Tomaz

Old 07-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #96
jegrmajstr
thumper tourer

Finally managed to take some pics of the bike

Now I have (again) some problems... After replacing most of the rubber in the intake area and basically rebuilding the carbs the bike again runs like crap. Right cylinder is running very, very rich above 1/3 throttle, but starts and idles just fine. Carbs are synched, choke working ok, no air leaks, but still it won't run as it should...

Any ideas?

Regards, Tomaz

Old 07-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #97
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Tomasz
Nice bike; no, I don't think the master cylinder is nearly string enough for an extra disc brake; I think you might need a master cylinder from a small-disc Ducati - like a 500 Pantah.
Did you lift the heads and check the valves? Not the gaps, but the actual valves - I have seen small-block Guzzis that have had exhaust valves that seem to have been eaten or burned away.
Good luck!
Old 07-06-2011, 05:57 AM   #98
jegrmajstr
thumper tourer

Thanks, as far as I know smallblock with valve problems were mainly 4 valvers - Lario was notorious for eating valves until the issue was resolved with different springs...

The only problems I'm facing with it is carb-related... Right side keeps running rich no matter what I do, I'll have to tear into it and rebuild the damn thing again...

Old 07-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #99
Desertpistons
80s dakar

Oddometer: 247
running rich

I guess the only choice is to take the carb apart and making sure everything is fine...
That said ensure it doenst leak from the rubber connection or the manifold..
Desertpistons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:13 AM   #100
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegrmajstr View Post
Thanks, as far as I know smallblock with valve problems were mainly 4 valvers - Lario was notorious for eating valves until the issue was resolved with different springs...

The only problems I'm facing with it is carb-related... Right side keeps running rich no matter what I do, I'll have to tear into it and rebuild the damn thing again...
The 4-valves suffered catastrophic failure - the "pennies" dropped off the "sticks". No, the two-valvers had soft faces and they burned away easily - and if you have any ethanol in your fuel, it gets worse.

Is your choke-plunger sticking up, or do you have some muck stuck in the carb's various passages? Might be worth soaking it in carb-cleaner, or putting the whole thing in an ultrasonic bath.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #101
jegrmajstr
thumper tourer

Thanks Precis, I'll keep my eye on the valves when I pull the whole thing apart this winter... Although the bike has relatively low mileage (just over 20k), and we don't have any of the ethanol blend crap of fuel here so fortunately no worries there

Pulled the right-side carb apart again today and soaked in cleaner etc... The pilot (starting) jet was clogged and there was quite a lot of crap in the carb, even though I cleaned it not so long ago...

Couldn't try the bike out though, flat battery

Old 07-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #102
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Do you have inline fuel filters fitted?
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #103
jegrmajstr
thumper tourer

Yes I do have inline filters + carbs have their own filter screens on on fuel inlets... I guess there was still enough crap inside to clog it up after sitting for some time. Nevermind, I'll see tomorrow if the issue is solved, I'm really looking forward for some quality riding now that most of the college exams are through :)

Old 10-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #104
ScuRoo
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Skipped in Saharan sand & shat all over R1200GS

Complete under the radar genius big distance adventure offroader.
Attached Images

ScuRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #105
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

http://guzzi.com.au/index2.html
Go to Gallery & Reviews
Click on "My dirt bikes"