User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
uraberg OP
whosaberg?

Oddometer: 689
racing trikes?

Let's say that one developed an interest in thinking about maybe building something lke this:

One could start pretty much with a motorcycle sans forks. How far would you be able to modify this frame so that it would in the eyes of the DMV no longer be that motorcycle, and had to be titled as something else altogether?

uraberg screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 08:12 PM
uraberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
It really depends on your DMV, but most would require it meets all the same regulations a car would, plus the frame would likely need to be halved as you cannot have two vin#.

And depending on your state getting it titled may or may not be possible, usually your state police will have to inspect it along with receipts for most materials and major components, as wells as a certified welding inspection of the frame before they will proceed to stamp out a vin plate for it, at least here in louisiana thats how it usually works.

But your best bet would be to check with your nearest dmv headquarters, usually regular dmv offices do not know jack about such things.

I actually know one guy here who has a shifter kart and F-1 car plated here lol, the shifter kart was the hardest because machines with a solid live axle are an automatic no when it comes to titling here.
RedRaptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,464
3 wheels = motorcycle in the majority of states.
That means no seat belts, air bags, windsheild wipers , etc are required.
It doesn't mean it will be easy , either.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,698
Here, you would pretty much just register it as a motorcycle, and it would just stay that way unless you add a fourth wheel. No inspections here, really.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
In Kalifornia, You would have to keep the frame numbers in a reasonable place or get a "Frame Change".

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #6
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,617
If you had the original motorcycles vin # and plates you could just keep buying tags for it and put them on the build. You would just need a bit of frame with vin#.
The biggest hurdle would be an inspection on the street, for sure you will get stopped. I guess if you had registration and tags and all the safety equipment worked you should be fine.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
uraberg OP
whosaberg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
If you had the original motorcycles vin # and plates you could just keep buying tags for it and put them on the build. You would just need a bit of frame with vin#.
The biggest hurdle would be an inspection on the street, for sure you will get stopped. I guess if you had registration and tags and all the safety equipment worked you should be fine.
See, that's what I want to hear. :)
Old 11-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
grisezd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
I've considered doing this forever. Sketched it up a few times, drew it out on the garage floor. One day...

In my part of Ohio you can get away with anything, but apparently there is an issue with using ATV parts in the front end. Unfortnately that was part of my plan! If I just fly under the radar it's easy, and if I want to get all fancy (apply for a VIN, etc) I'll have to prove I bought everything, show lights and safety equipment, and hope I get the right inspector!!! So under the radar (still legal, but will still have to explain it if I get pulled over) it is.

One thing I will do to keep the VIN in a reasonable spot is to reuse the headtube as the steering column, right behind a steering wheel. Handy, and funny.
grisezd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
Pugsley/Hobbfather
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Always go for funny!

I usually use the explanation for doing certain things that "...and it was funnier for me that way..."
Pugsley/Hobbfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grisezd View Post
I've considered doing this forever. Sketched it up a few times, drew it out on the garage floor. One day...

In my part of Ohio you can get away with anything, but apparently there is an issue with using ATV parts in the front end. Unfortnately that was part of my plan! If I just fly under the radar it's easy, and if I want to get all fancy (apply for a VIN, etc) I'll have to prove I bought everything, show lights and safety equipment, and hope I get the right inspector!!! So under the radar (still legal, but will still have to explain it if I get pulled over) it is.

One thing I will do to keep the VIN in a reasonable spot is to reuse the headtube as the steering column, right behind a steering wheel. Handy, and funny.
I was thinking the same thing about the head tube/steering column as I was getting caught up on the thread lol! just make it so that the vin is plainly visible through the windscreen lol.

In a way doing it that would almost make it just as much of a recumbent as it is a trike, there are kits out there that require no frame mods at all though, just bolt the tub and front end to the frame of the bike and have the steering head right at your back, but I think that way produces kind of a silly wheelbase for something intended to be fast and maneuverable.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #11
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

I think anything in the GS or GSF family would make a great donor being that almost all of them have easily modified steel frames and more bottom end grunt than their racy counterparts.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
redprimo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
The spirit of your build kind of reminds me of this guy. http://www.ronpatrickstuff.com/ in the way that it pushes the limits of what is a legal modification.
redprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #13
uraberg OP
whosaberg?

This is not mine. It is an "indycycle"
Old 11-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #14
Tanshanomi
Your Favorite Uncle

Oddometer: 607
Tread cautiously!

It's not always that simple. In some states (including my home of Missouri), a VIN is only legal as long as the vehicle remains "substantially and recognizably" the same as manufactured. In other words, if it's a Suzuki 600 motorcycle, a cop better look at it and say, "Yea, that looks like a Suzuki 600 to me." Once you modify it to the point where it is no longer recognizable as the vehicle you started with (and changing the number of wheels is pretty much a sure dinger on that one), you may be required by law to get a Special Construction title, even if the original VIN is still present on the frame.

Be forewarned you might be required to provide a copy of the bike's original title (front and back!) for not just the frame and motor, but EVERY non-new part on the bike! For new parts, you must have an itemized receipt proving you bought it new. At least that's how it is in Missouri.

And the worse case scenario is, no matter what state you live in, if it looks like you incorporated the head stock into the frame specifically to maintain the VIN stamp; then you can get hauled in for VIN tampering, which is a FEDERAL felony.
Tanshanomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #15
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,198
My cousin lives in NC, and he's seen V8 sand rails with plates, so it's most likely possible.

From the NC DOT: http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/title/vehicles/

Additional Requirements

Inspection
Antique and custom-built vehicles presented for first-time titling and registration in North Carolina must be examined and photographed by a local NC Division of Motor Vehicles inspector.
The report confirms the vehicle is equipped for road use and meets all DOT safety standards.
What is an Antique Vehicle?
  • A motor vehicle at least 35 years old (measured from the date of manufacture)
What is a Custom-Built Vehicle?
  • A motor vehicle that is completely reconstructed or assembled from new or used parts
  • Will be branded as "specially contructed vehicle"
  • Year of vehicle will be year of assembly.
What is a Replica Vehicle?
  • A motor vehicle which is a replica manufactured from a kit and sold unassembled
  • Titled as the make and year model intended to be replicated
  • Model listed on title is "replica"
  • Will be branded as "specially contructed vehicle"
  • Motorcycles are not titled as replicas.
It's got to be easier than CT, but you need to talk to someone who's done it before in YOUR state.
Figure out who to deal with and where. Around here, it seems like everybody in DMV makes up their own rules as they see fit that particular day.

It looks like a neat project, I'd seen it a few years back. It's one of many projects I've considered building, but figured it would take me too long and I'd lose momentum before I would finish it.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote