Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #106
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
Well, the Bandido and the El Montadero.

Was the Montijuich (sic) the same design motor as well?
Rare endurance racing bike I believe.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #107
Tanshanomi
Your Favorite Uncle

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Was the Montijuich (sic) the same design motor as well?
Rare endurance racing bike I believe.
The first prototype Montijuich engine was basically a de-tuned version of the air-cooled 360 TSS roadracer that won the 24 Horas de Montjuic (which was the source of the name). And yes, that engine used the same basic gear-primary architecture as the production gear-drive 360s. But later on they went to a totally new, experimental 400cc motor (shown below) that, sad to say, never saw the light of day.

Since the Montjuic never actually went into production, it's sort of a moot question.

Tanshanomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #108
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
The first prototype Montijuich engine was basically a de-tuned version of the air-cooled 360 TSS roadracer that won the 24 Horas de Montjuic (which was the source of the name). And yes, that engine used the same basic gear-primary architecture as the production gear-drive 360s. But later on they went to a totally new, experimental 400cc motor (shown below) that, sad to say, never saw the light of day.

Since the Montjuic never actually went into production, it's sort of a moot question.

But a neat bike nonetheless,Id love to have a street going Bultaco of some sort.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #109
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
That Bultaco looks like a street going Bultaco with a homemade copy of an Astro paintjob.
Thats what I did on my 72 200 Sherpa S back in the day,I wanted an Astro so bad I found an Astro seat,then painted my tank to match the seat and Voilah! I had a 200 Astro.

Im always interested in Bultaco stuff,I'll check out those books.

The coolest thing Ive found recently is a 1976 Montesa 250 Enduro,it runs great and is 90% restored needing only paint on the tank and the proper seat cover,It was a deal and I had to move fast to snag it.
I don't know if the bike shown in the picture is a real Astro or not, as I have seen in pictures the first Astro in 1971 360cc came out with front brakes, the later Atros came out without brakes as you don't need them when used for flat track. But in Europe nobody did and does flat track we do Speedway and Ice Speedway. Speedway machines are much different to flat trackers.

So what other purpuse could a Astro in Europe be used then riding on the road ... ? Anyway, the very few bikes sold in Spain in 1976 where fitted with a front brake but as mentioned the bike did not sell, so pictures even back then should be rare how easy will it be to find some nowadays ...

In fact the Pursangs and Sherpa T models are much more "famos" for the brand itself as they where frequently winners in word cup competitions, the Sherpa T is btw. still the bike with the most winning titels in trials.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #110
Toyanvil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,654
Me on my 1972 125.

My first 250

My last Bultaco
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved. Hell, some of the places I’ve been there weren’t even roads!
Toyanvil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #111
Foot dragger
singletracker

I remember wanting a new Pomeroy Replica SO bad!

My dad was buying the racebikes at the time so we got a 74 250 Elsinore...

That poor ill handling thing blew it's engine to tiny bits right off the bat,then we bought a new crate engine and it scattered it's trans,then I broke the swingarm in half,then bent the frame and bent both wheels in a 5th gear stuck throttle loop out off a jump.
I won some races on it but never trusted it.

Still want a Pomeroy replica.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #112
jcf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Yesterday FINALLY got a chance to get a ride in on the Metralla.
The weather has been HORRIBLE here in the N.E.

Tightened up all the nuts and bolts, reattached the cleaned out, re packed pipe, checked the oil levels and tire pressure...

There was some gas in the tank and I was just going to ride around the block a couple times so just splashed in a drop more fresh....

Fired up on the first kick.

Off I went - what a difference with the cleaned pipe !

Next thing I knew I was miles away and then blub, blub, blub ...
Barely made it back on the reserve....

What a sweet siren of a bike she is.
jcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #113
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,406
Nice toy box!

Not my collection unfortunately!

roadholder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #114
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,073
Bandido

Cleaning up nicely. Got the carb looking good...lotsa, lotsa varnish. Gas tank cleaned up nice. Cleaned the petcocks...lotsa baked on grease/dirt. Degreased and power washed the engine/chassis. 30 years of backed on grease. Will take a lot of detail cleaning to complete the job. Engine is free. Can't say the same for the clutch. Reinstalled the carb and fed some gas/mix temp. Did fire a couple of times, but I need to get a manual before I start tinkering with ignition etc. 'Tis a beast to turn over, lots of compression. I also want to do a full leak test before I go too much further (seal exhaust, build a test gauge/pressure valve for the intake to test seals etc.)

11;00 UPDATE: We have sustained fire. Won't idle. Need the manual (Ebay - shipped today), but proves out the ignition/spark. Clutch plates freed up. Ran just enough to blow out the spark arrester and fiberglass. Needed cleaning anyway. And upset my wife & her favorite 10-11 show plus the horses across the way.

Lesson for the day. Put on your MX boots before kicking this beast over.

Update 4/9/12 Received a rebuild kit for the Amal 392 that I was waiting for. Pulled the carb back off and as I suspected, the Pilot jet was clogged which was why no idle. Notmuch to the rebuild kit, Just a bowl gasket, banjo bolt gasket and two orings for the idle and idle mix screws. BUT now it runs, starts easy, idles, and the idle mixture screw works as designed! Just the temp fuel feed so I did run it under power on the driveaway before the temp fuel source gave out. I will have to remount the tank, air cleaner, seat to give it a better go then set up to do a crankcase air leak-down test to see how the crankcase seals are and move this to its own thread under 2-smokes.

Wansfel screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 11:51 AM
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #115
BAKERMAN
The Real BAKERMAN

Oddometer: 197
mines Ready to ride through Spain
Old 04-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #116
German Trick OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKERMAN View Post
mines Ready to ride through Spain
How awesome would that be! I rode through Spain about 10 years ago and all I kept thinking was "How bitchin would this be on a Bul?".
German Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #117
BAKERMAN
The Real BAKERMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Trick View Post
How awesome would that be! I rode through Spain about 10 years ago and all I kept thinking was "How bitchin would this be on a Bul?".
ferry booked, flight home booked 10 days later leave 19th April
Old 04-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #118
250bultaco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Here's mine.
1967 Model 23 Metralla Mk2
My brother bought in the early '70's from a friend of his who was the original owner. And I got it from my brother a few years later. Was restored about 25 years ago by the mechanic who worked at Mathias Cycle Sales, Dover, OH when it was originally sold in '69. New paint, chrome & cad plating. Seat was re-covered before my brother bought it. Front fender signed by Jim Pomeroy and Oriol Bulto.
Years past I had a 1980 350 Sherpa T (blue framed torque monster) and a Mercurio that I sold to a friend. The Mercurio was later restored by the same guy that did my Metralla and came out really nice. My brother still has his '66 Sherpa T.

BTW
It's for sale, if anyone's interested. $5700 obo.
I'm not a collector and don't ride it enough to justify keeping it. So I'd like to pass it on to someone who'll enjoy it. It's not perfect, but still a great bike that wouldn't take too much to make it perfect.
If I get ambitious, maybe next week I'll list it in the flea market.

250bultaco screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 05:30 AM
250bultaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #119
BAKERMAN
The Real BAKERMAN

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333953

Please dont think I am lasy but I am not that hot on a PC and have to pass you on to another site if you wishh to read my progress

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...F8AbWLnOQ5ODNJ

My route so far is above
Old 04-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #120
jcf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
jcf is offline   Reply With Quote