Old 04-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #121
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250bultaco View Post
Here's mine.
1967 Model 23 Metralla Mk2
My brother bought in the early '70's from a friend of his who was the original owner. And I got it from my brother a few years later. Was restored about 25 years ago by the mechanic who worked at Mathias Cycle Sales, Dover, OH when it was originally sold in '69. New paint, chrome & cad plating. Seat was re-covered before my brother bought it. Front fender signed by Jim Pomeroy and Oriol Bulto.
Years past I had a 1980 350 Sherpa T (blue framed torque monster) and a Mercurio that I sold to a friend. The Mercurio was later restored by the same guy that did my Metralla and came out really nice. My brother still has his '66 Sherpa T.

BTW
It's for sale, if anyone's interested. $5700 obo.
I'm not a collector and don't ride it enough to justify keeping it. So I'd like to pass it on to someone who'll enjoy it. It's not perfect, but still a great bike that wouldn't take too much to make it perfect.
If I get ambitious, maybe next week I'll list it in the flea market.

Hmmmmmmm......no interest in creative trades for this Bul?
That thing is too sweet to sit.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #122
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
A recent photo to keep the thread going

Old 05-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #123
German Trick OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
Since your observer isn't showing any fingers I'll take it your section is dab-free so far!
German Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #124
JoeTrib
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thumb Great footage

Awesome pics! Thank you for the photographic data! !

I am starting to like classic models! their gradual development along the time seems priceless!
JoeTrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #125
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,925
Check these out, guys.
http://www.restaurabultaco.com/galeria-modelos.html
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #126
Matador107
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thumb 400 Bultaco.

hI I'm new,didn't know about this section of the forum so I posted in the two smokers section. "what's a metralla worth',my tragic story is there if you are interested.
About 2 years ago there was a 400 Bultaco Pursang offered on Australian ebay and it went for $10,000 and back to Europe. It had the right foot push forward kick start so was a legitimate model.

I own a number of Bultacos and have restored two right down to cases apart,swapping cranks,new bearings and seals,complete rewires, designed my own cad wiring diagram if anyone is interested in a copy. The factory ones are too confusing even for a sparky like me it was easier to start again.

It's refreshing to see that others know about primary gear drive Bandidos and Montadero's. They are difficult to kick over because of high compression and if a compression release is fitted into the head it can crack. Thinking of fitting a small chainsaw type to my Montadero

Just so you know Australia was a big market for Bultaco back in the day,we saw all the models here. From what I have learned the Pursang was designated either Euro or America just before the Astro became a model in itself. When the Pursang Americe won first up at the ASTRODOME there was an instant name change ASTRO.

My question ifor you guys in the USA is,have or do you know about the FRONTERA GM, or gold medal. They were unsold Pursangs maybe model 11 sent back to the factory in Spain and retro fitted with lights and sold as competition standard enduro bikes. They were painted gold and I think were about it for Bultaco by then,they are extremely rare.

The original stamped frame numbers were hammered over and a alloy sticker with a new number stuck on,that's how to tell if it's a factory retro fit.

I must figure out how to post some pictures soon. Thanks.
Matador107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:32 AM   #127
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador107 View Post
hI I'm new,didn't know about this section of the forum so I posted in the two smokers section. "what's a metralla worth',my tragic story is there if you are interested.
About 2 years ago there was a 400 Bultaco Pursang offered on Australian ebay and it went for $10,000 and back to Europe. It had the right foot push forward kick start so was a legitimate model.

I own a number of Bultacos and have restored two right down to cases apart,swapping cranks,new bearings and seals,complete rewires, designed my own cad wiring diagram if anyone is interested in a copy. The factory ones are too confusing even for a sparky like me it was easier to start again.

It's refreshing to see that others know about primary gear drive Bandidos and Montadero's. They are difficult to kick over because of high compression and if a compression release is fitted into the head it can crack. Thinking of fitting a small chainsaw type to my Montadero

Just so you know Australia was a big market for Bultaco back in the day,we saw all the models here. From what I have learned the Pursang was designated either Euro or America just before the Astro became a model in itself. When the Pursang Americe won first up at the ASTRODOME there was an instant name change ASTRO.

My question ifor you guys in the USA is,have or do you know about the FRONTERA GM, or gold medal. They were unsold Pursangs maybe model 11 sent back to the factory in Spain and retro fitted with lights and sold as competition standard enduro bikes. They were painted gold and I think were about it for Bultaco by then,they are extremely rare.

The original stamped frame numbers were hammered over and a alloy sticker with a new number stuck on,that's how to tell if it's a factory retro fit.

I must figure out how to post some pictures soon. Thanks.
You might ask Orlando Colander in Switzerland, he was the General Importer of Bultacos in Europe (main land not UK) as I know. He is still in business. You should call him up e-mail doesn't work as first communication, he admit the old fashioned way. He speaks Spanish, Italian, French and German I don't know if he speaks English. He is also publisher of some translations of books over Bultaco, so there you might get the information you need.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #128
Old Queenslander
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Bultacos

I would love to add a Frontera to the collection.
Old Queenslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #129
BultacoMX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I owned a Lobito, and raced Pursangs both in Europe and the USA through the 70s. These two photos are from my first trophy in a German MX. Those were the days!
I now own the '67 Metralla pictured above that was for sale. Tom

BultacoMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #130
jcf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
That bike looks so tiny in that pic - ha

Awesome

and congrats on the new buy
jcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #131
BultacoMX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
That bike looks so tiny in that pic - ha
..yeah, I'm 6'5", but luckily still ~ 200lbs, so the Metralla can get me up hills!

...thanks, Tom
BultacoMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #132
bigzack
6'6" of awesome

Oddometer: 54
New Bultaco

Just picked up this new addition to the garage. 1976 Bultaco Alpina. Been looking for one for awhile now finally found one in great condition and mostly original, with a fresh motor. Runs and rides beautifully, lots of fun.
bigzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #133
boomshakalaka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
What have I gotten myself into...

I finally got everything but CB350's and one SL175 out of my garage. I was consolidating. It's so easy working on bikes when you have tons of random bits in bins, that bolt right u,p to pilfer through. Then came VMD. A combination of day drinking, swap meet fever, and bringing more cash than I should've, and now I own a Bultaco. I have no clue about these bikes. I've only owned one two stroke before, and all I did was put gas and oil in, and beat the hell out of it.

It's an Alpina 250 model 85 from what I gather. I thought the one piece tank/seat was awesome. I heard it run after the seller bypassed the clogged petcock (probably not a good sign for a glass tank...), and I shelled out some money.

Here she is:

Now some questions:

Parts seem hard to come by and insanely expensive compared to the 70's Honda prices I'm used to. Did I buy a huge money pit?

After looking up pictures of the Alpina 250 85 when I got home, I noticed the seat/tank combo seems like it should have number plates attached. The glass seems fairly smooth, doesn't seem hacked up. Is the body work from another bike, or did they just do a decent job of cutting?

What gas:oil ratio should I be going with? I had no clue, went with 32:1 because I seem to have remembered that number :shrug:. Can't get bike to fire now. Is there some sort of magical starting ritual I'm not privvy to, being a lowly Honda enthusiast?

Lastly, I'm not sure what I even want to do with this bike. I know they came with lights from the factory-- but are they actually streetable?

Thanks for any help, and sorry for the mouthful, just excited/scared being a first time taco rider (ha.)

boomshakalaka screwed with this post 07-30-2013 at 06:52 PM
boomshakalaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:50 AM   #134
GarageRat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Good start for an Alpina project! The bodywork looks to be off a later model, possibly an M116 or M138. Points ignition-so there may be the best place to begin on your staring problem. Do you have spark? The Alpinas were streetable when new, but depending upon what state you live in, it may or may not be licensable. In NY, where I live, without the paperwork, there is very little hope. Alpinas are excellent trail bikes and possibly a vintage trials bike. Good find!
GarageRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:09 AM   #135
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshakalaka View Post
Now some questions:

Parts seem hard to come by and insanely expensive compared to the 70's Honda prices I'm used to. Did I buy a huge money pit?

After looking up pictures of the Alpina 250 85 when I got home, I noticed the seat/tank combo seems like it should have number plates attached. The glass seems fairly smooth, doesn't seem hacked up. Is the body work from another bike, or did they just do a decent job of cutting?

What gas:oil ratio should I be going with? I had no clue, went with 32:1 because I seem to have remembered that number :shrug:. Can't get bike to fire now. Is there some sort of magical starting ritual I'm not privvy to, being a lowly Honda enthusiast?

Lastly, I'm not sure what I even want to do with this bike. I know they came with lights from the factory-- but are they actually streetable?

Thanks for any help, and sorry for the mouthful, just excited/scared being a first time taco rider (ha.)
1. There are a ton of M85 parts on fleaBay on a regular basis. And the great thing about a Bul, parts from other models can frequently be made to fit quite easily. Now buying new parts can be a bit more expensive, there are a limited amount of sources for new parts. But they do exist.

Bul's are also easy to work on and find some common bits. Ball bearings are standard size bearings easily found at bearing distributors. Pretty much the same on seals.

2, For starting, since you are a "H*nda" guy () , you do know you have to tickle the carb? Hold the tickler down (LH side of carbie towards flange end) until gas spurts out. Not a lot, just a little, then try starting. Kicking a Bul effectively is also an acquired skill.

3. The tank does look too large in the picture for an M85, but correct glass is on fleaBay pretty regular.

4. Bul had a strange lighting circuit, it worked, but was unique. An Alpina is only going to go just so fast on the road, but they can be fun in the woods. If you are anywhere that has a vintage enduro, it is possible to use the Alpina. Not ideal, but it will work. And some people do ride them in vintage trials.

5. The air cleaner is missing. I might have one that fits.

Good luck with it. I have 4 Buls awaiting love (M68 Pursang X 2, 1 M106 Champion Astro, and 1 mongrel Astro 146 Frame, 207 engine).....too many projects