User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #31
Thunderhart8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Wicked what time??

What time are you leaving in the morning ?? post up with some pics !!!!!
Thunderhart8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #32
marbee40
Some Fear is Good

Oddometer: 1,081
God Speed, brother. Cheers to those with well planned dreams.

Heed Alcan's wise words and know when to call it. Your wife will greatly appreciate your being present in your current life-like form.

1/2 a 5-hour energy every 3 hours of riding. High calorie count (Cold weather MRE's are GREAT!).

If your XRL is NOT new, replace the chain and sprockets before leaving. Check the chain guide on the swingarm. Bring a small can of ether. It may be the ONLY way that pig starts if it gets 0 or colder. Always park on a hill. A spoonful of HEET in each tank will keep any moisture from freezing up. LED headlamp glued to helmet. LED aftermarket light pod (Vision-X) draws VERY low power.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #33
babarnette OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner2 View Post
Crap, don't know if is a good idea to ride this late in the season, but I do have a couch that you can borrow for the nite, Sunday Nov. 4th. You can pm me, or my cell # is 867-335-1003.
I have to work Monday AM, so I will be up early. You can sleep in till it is light out. Noon or so LOL.
Thanks for the offer, if I can't get a hold of Bostjan when I get to Whitehorse I'll give you a call. I'm all set to leave in the morning.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #34
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Ride safe my friend

And keep in touch when you can.Say hi to bostian for me.

Bob

Blog: alaskapeeks.blogspot.com

Retired and Riding

Alaskahack screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 11:39 PM Reason: Forgot to add something
Alaskahack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #35
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,509
Good luck and have fun. Can't wait to hear about it.

And it looks like the weather might be cooperating too.

Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:46 AM   #36
Thunderhart8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Waiting for you
Thunderhart8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #37
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,851
Weather in Glennallen at 07:30: Temp -15F, clear, no precip, highway bare, predicted high 18, 20% chance of precip
Mile 117, Glenn Hwy: Temp 7, overcast, trace of snow on highway, predicted high 18F, 40% chance of precip
Slana: Temp 5, clear, highway bare, predicted high 19, 30% chance or precip
Tok: 6F, mostly cloudy, predicted high 10F
Border: 4F, light snowpack

Conditions look favorable all the way to Tok & beyond. Let's get this show on the road.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #38
babarnette OP
Studly Adventurer

Ok, I had to come back to Palmer. The bike was overloaded and it wasn't safe to ride. I'm either going to have to reduce the amount of gear I am carrying or figure something else out. If I ship the bike to Seattle I can reduce my gear by half but I would prefer to ride. Any ideas? I'm not going to head out with insufficient gear so I may have to postpone this ride. My rear shock was bottomed out and I didn't have much control. I made it to the Matanuska Glacier before I decided to turn around. I would probably be fine if I were staying on smooth paved roads the whole way but that's not going to happen on the Alcan.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #39
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,851
Quoted from the "Alaska Primer" that some halfwit posted a while back: "...that will haul you and about half the gear you think you will need for the trip (because what you think you'll need is twice what you really need), that will carry sufficient fuel in its tank for at least 150 miles, ..."

The only survival gear you really need for a trip like this is sufficient warm clothing. Windproof clothing. Dressed properly for the windchill of riding, any time you stop moving, you will be too warm. A couple of candy bars, some liquid packed next to your body to stay thawed, and you're good to go. Despite its reputation, along your route you're never that far from help and/or shelter. In a worst case scenario, you can sleep just off the road in a shelter of trees. Ten to one you've overpacked.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #40
babarnette OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
Quoted from the "Alaska Primer" that some halfwit posted a while back: "...that will haul you and about half the gear you think you will need for the trip (because what you think you'll need is twice what you really need), that will carry sufficient fuel in its tank for at least 150 miles, ..."

The only survival gear you really need for a trip like this is sufficient warm clothing. Windproof clothing. Dressed properly for the windchill of riding, any time you stop moving, you will be too warm. A couple of candy bars, some liquid packed next to your body to stay thawed, and you're good to go. Despite its reputation, along your route you're never that far from help and/or shelter. In a worst case scenario, you can sleep just off the road in a shelter of trees. Ten to one you've overpacked.
Probably. I'm in the process of thinning out equipment right now. I have an oversized fuel tank but there is only one petcock so I have fuel that gets trapped on the right hand side of the tank. I was planning on carrying 4 extra gallons of fuel but maybe I can get away with one 2 gallon can. I have tools that I need to do a tire change plus make any other minor repairs and extra front and rear tubes. I've reduce the extra clothing I was going to carry as well. Any other suggestions? I can still leave in the morning if I can reduce the weight enough.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #41
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Have you thought about bumping that four season tent and sleeping bag? Pick up some plumbers candles. I don't think your going to be able to do much camping. Go to Tok, Destruction Bay and find a motal.

If your driving a bike with the wind chill like Alcan Rider said you already have on what you need to survive.

Keep us all appraised.

You said that your rear shock was bottomed out? Can you get a better shock?

Bob

Retired and Riding
Old 11-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #42
babarnette OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskahack View Post
Have you thought about bumping that four season tent and sleeping bag? Pick up some plumbers candles. I don't think your going to be able to do much camping. Go to Tok, Destruction Bay and find a motal.

If your driving a bike with the wind chill like Alcan Rider said you already have on what you need to survive.

Keep us all appraised.

You said that your rear shock was bottomed out? Can you get a better shock?

Bob
Gotta replace rear shock regardless. It looks like I damaged it this morning. Even with the bike unloaded the shock is nearly bottomed out now. When I sit on the bike it just drops all the way down. I weighed all my gear after I unloaded it and it came out to 142lbs and I weigh 200lbs. I reduced what I was going to carry by about half like alcan rider said but I can't ride on the bike like it is. If I can get it fixed Monday or Tuesday I may make another attempt but it looks like I'm going to be shipping the bike back and fixing it at home. I'll have to try again when I come back up in the spring. I really need to be in Vancouver by Thursday, so I'm probably going to fly down there, work my gigs, and fly home.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #43
Alaskahack
Adventurer

That makes the most sense. Your wife will be glad to see you. It was great talking and meeting up with you. You had a great experience so far.

Are you going to be riding the bike up here next year?

I'll let you know how Bastian is doing on his quest

See you next year
Bob.

Retired and Riding
Old 11-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #44
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,659
Good call. Even in summer the weather in Alaska can be iffy. This time of year, it could be deadly. You are doing the right thing. Live to ride another day.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #45
babarnette OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskahack View Post
That makes the most sense. Your wife will be glad to see you. It was great talking and meeting up with you. You had a great experience so far.

Are you going to be riding the bike up here next year?

I'll let you know how Bastian is doing on his quest

See you next year
Bob.
It was great meeting you too. I'm hoping to buy an F800GS or Tiger XC this winter and maybe ride that up in the spring depending on road conditions. I'm getting a Trailtail or similar trailer regardless of what I do b/c I have to be able to haul my photography equipment.