User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
willemdamen OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Anakees in Mexico?

On my way from Chicago to Argentina. Now in Palm Springs. Wondering if I should replace my tires here. There is at least another 3,000 miles of life in them. Does anyone know where Michelin Anakees are available in Mexico Baja or Matzalan area? Thanks
willemdamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 7,804
Do what you want but I personally would never start out a trip like that if I had doubts about my tires. This advice is given without even getting into the debate about the 3,000 miles figure. If you have doubts, replace them now. Tires and batteries strand more viajeros than any other issue.

Even thinking about where south of the border you can source new rubber indicates you're kicking an inevitable can down the road. Its a pain in the ass to delay a trip and search for tires, take care of this issue now with all your other pre-trip maintenance.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,001
I go down to Cabo 1 or 2 times a year and have visited the local motorcycle shops.They dont stock much.At this point in your trip I would be thinking about putting on a set of heidenau k60's or mefo explorers.If the current set of tires has more than %50 left you could ups or fed ex them home for later use.The engine on your bike should have some protection around it.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
willemdamen OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Tire replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
do what you want but i personally would never start out a trip like that if i had doubts about my tires. This advice is given without even getting into the debate about the 3,000 miles figure. If you have doubts, replace them now. Tires and batteries strand more viajeros than any other issue.

Even thinking about where south of the border you can source new rubber indicates you're kicking an inevitable can down the road. Its a pain in the ass to delay a trip and search for tires, take care of this issue now with all your other pre-trip maintenance.
your point driven home. Thanks
willemdamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,123
.... getting the specific tire you desire will always be in doubt. If you are really intent on getting every possible bit of use out of your tires you could consider buying the replacements now when you are at a known source point , then tie them on the back of your VStrom and ride off into the unknown. A bit bulky and klutzy for a while ,but possible certainly if you are doing the more paved route. Replace them when the tires eventually do wear out,There will be shops that can do that for you in the cities of south Baja and the mainland even when they do not stock your tire type. That way you get the satisfaction of frugality and peace of mind .Are BOTH tires going to wear out at the same time? ...
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
.... getting the specific tire you desire will always be in doubt. If you are really intent on getting every possible bit of use out of your tires you could consider buying the replacements now when you are at a known source point , then tie them on the back of your VStrom and ride off into the unknown. A bit bulky and klutzy for a while ,but possible certainly if you are doing the more paved route. Replace them when the tires eventually do wear out,There will be shops that can do that for you in the cities of south Baja and the mainland even when they do not stock your tire type. That way you get the satisfaction of frugality and peace of mind .Are BOTH tires going to wear out at the same time? ...
Good post.
TP also made a good post.

I've hauled tires on several trips. The key to doing this successfully is packing/strarpping them down in a safe and secure manner, so they are not an added problem - no worries loading and unloading each day. Spending extra time on perfecting your packing method can pay off bigtime many days down the road.

If I had 3k or so miles left on some road-type tires, and planned to stay on the roads, I'd want to get close to their 3k miles out of them. 3k, via road, takes you from the US border to Panama.

Dirt/DS tires, on heavy bikes, need to be replaced much more often. This (tire wear) is an important part of your overall planning.

I hate throwing away good rubber. :)
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
jimmex
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
Good post.
TP also made a good post.

I've hauled tires on several trips. The key to doing this successfully is packing/strarpping them down in a safe and secure manner, so they are not an added problem - no worries loading and unloading each day. Spending extra time on perfecting your packing method can pay off bigtime many days down the road.

If I had 3k or so miles left on some road-type tires, and planned to stay on the roads, I'd want to get close to their 3k miles out of them. 3k, via road, takes you from the US border to Panama.

Dirt/DS tires, on heavy bikes, need to be replaced much more often. This (tire wear) is an important part of your overall planning.

I hate throwing away good rubber. :)
Having tire problems on the road in L.A. is worse.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
Lone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Having tire problems on the road in L.A. is worse.
Worse than what?
Old 11-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
jimmex
Wanderer

Quote:
Worse than what?
Worse than leaving a little rubber on a worn out tire.

jimmex screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 08:24 PM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
Lone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Worse than leaving a little rubber on a worn out tire.
That's the beauty of having your choice of tire at hand. Total control the what and when.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
That's the beauty of having your choice of tire at hand. Total control the what and when.
You can ship them to me if you like and put them on here. That's take a few more miles of tread off your current tires.

I have no idea about tire availability as I haven't had to replace mine yet. There is a local Suzuki dealer and about a million road-side tire repair places to choose from.

Depending on your route, I'm sure we could find a few volunteers down here to hold them for you.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
Lone Rider

Dang, the Mexico guys are always stepping up and ready to help.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #13
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 994
We do what we can do encourage folks to come down here. I suspect there are a lot more mex-curious than you'd think.

It's a great place to visit. Ignore (most) of the media spew. I'm still alive!
Old 11-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
Habibi Rocks
Banned

Oddometer: 58
For the long hauls its good to have a machine that uses the same front and rear tyres. If space allows then a spare can be carried. Its a balance ...... speed , long distance , vs tyre and parts sources. My style would be a spezial front wheel
to match the rear. But, thats my style......... Tires and parts sources / logistics / communication are better than they were 20 years ago. In places like beautiful Mexico its nice to ride slow and smell the aromas , see the sights, smile and wave at the people. A rider cannot always carry everything .......
here's an example. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838471

Habibi Rocks screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 05:57 PM
Habibi Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #15
jimmex
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habibi Rocks View Post
For the long hauls its good to have a machine that uses the same front and rear tyres. If space allows then a spare can be carried. Its a balance ...... speed , long distance , vs tyre and parts sources. My style would be a spezial front wheel
to match the rear. But, thats my style......... Tires and parts sources / logistics / communication are better than they were 20 years ago. In places like beautiful Mexico its nice to ride slow and smell the aromas , see the sights, smile and wave at the people. A rider cannot always carry everything .......
here's an example. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838471
Rokon, por ejemplo.