Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #16
maigashi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
700km or 430 miles between realistic/reliable fuel stops all on harsh gravel and northern road. I will be bringing and extra fuel can just wondering if it will be 3 or 5 gallon. Leaning at the 5 since I want to do the dempster in 2 years
maigashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #17
montanaman
Traveler

Oddometer: 171
My GS seems to just sip fuel. I get 200 plus on a tank and when I stop to get gas there is always a gallon left in there. Even tho my "average MPG gauge" always shows "49" I have to think I am getting 55- 60 MPH in mixed riding. I am amazed at the efficiency of this bike. 9000 miles in and it seems to get better every tank..
Old 11-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #18
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,278
I did several thousand miles on gravel last year in South America. Generally I was going 50 mph or less vs. 65 - 70 mph on pavement. Gas mileage was thus better on the Gravel. Grin factor was higher too. Dave
Old 11-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #19
ricohman
Marinoni man

Oddometer: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by maigashi View Post
Only in 'Merica. Lol. Reason I ask is because of the increased on off on the throttle and increased drag from the gravel
Thanks
You live in Saskatchewan and you are asking a question like this? Over 80% of our roads are gravel.
No difference in fuel economy. If anything it will be better as you will be lighter on the throttle. Now head out of the city next year and ride on some gravel.
ricohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #20
maigashi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Ridden quite a lot on gravel but the GS is new to me and the ride we are planning is for early in the spring. I won't have much time to get a baseline for the mileage. And for the record, i don't do a lot of miles on grid, i tend to play a little more in the bush where my throttle wrist gets a better workout. Doctor says its good for the arthritis.
maigashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #21
Wyodrill
Deer Slayer 800

Oddometer: 35
Off the beaten path...

I have gotten as good as 62 mpg. Average 57. I have Ramus header system so performance and mileage is better. Traveling fully loaded figure 52 to be safe.

I always get better mileage off the slab. Don't worry about the drag and poor traction. You know what kind of mileage you get now. Your milage will be better but it usually is a longer walk to a gas station if you push it too far.
Wyodrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #22
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by maigashi View Post
700km or 430 miles between realistic/reliable fuel stops all on harsh gravel and northern road. I will be bringing and extra fuel can just wondering if it will be 3 or 5 gallon. Leaning at the 5 since I want to do the dempster in 2 years

Best I've gotten from a tank was just around 500kms, and I was being very conservative. If you really need to cover 700kms and want to do it at 100KPH you're going to need the equivalent of 2 tanks of fuel. Don't see any way of geting around that besides slowing down to 60 or 70.
I'd be hoping for a strong tail wind
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #23
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
Best I've gotten from a tank was just around 500kms, and I was being very conservative. If you really need to cover 700kms and want to do it at 100KPH you're going to need the equivalent of 2 tanks of fuel. Don't see any way of geting around that besides slowing down to 60 or 70.
I'd be hoping for a strong tail wind
500KM omfg how slow were you riding? (not in a bad meaning!)
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #24
Strawdog
Strawdog

Oddometer: 101
F800gs

When I did the Dempter was pushing lots wet mud. Started with a full tank at 340 KM in had to add a litre to make it to Eagle Plains.

Around Manitoba gravels roads and bush when dry made it to 370 KM on full tank but in some cases thats at 50 KM/Hr.

I have 2012 F800GS
Strawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #25
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
I get slightly lower mileage on gravel than I do on pavement. Probably because I like to horse around more in the woods. If I reduce speed on gravel it burns about the same. Keeping it under 80KPH will return the best range between fuel stops.
I'll agree with that and as Bayner says keeping it below 80 street/dirt makes a huge difference if you need to optimize distance. And really Bayner 500kms?? Wow!
Try to keep the weight down as much as possible too of course.
I'm sure you've already gotten your answer though particularly with the first hand info above!

Dave
Old 11-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #26
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
Yep, 500.
Putzing up the hills doing around 50KPH with a low throttle opening and coasting down them when possible, not in a hurry to get anywhere: and it gets amazing mileage. I had extra fuel, I just wanted to see how far it could go if I had to on that particular trip.
That was also on stock tires, not the knobbie bastards I run nowadays. Which I think will make a difference.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #27
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,614
Here's from my trip report.

On the way to Deadhorse I only needed an extra gallon 5 different times. I don't see why you'd need 5 gallons for the Dempster. Low fuel mileage was on pavement when I was at or exceeding 80 mph.

Mountains, Moose, and Miles

Good luck. - David

Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #28
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 319
Fully loaded on the Dempster

We ran the Dempster this past summer in harsh weather. We run the bikes loaded and I made it to eagle plains on the 800 without having to add fuel. With the muddy conditions on the way in I thought the mileage would get killed but we had the same results in the dry coming out from Inuvik five days later. We carry an extra gallon of fuel with us at all times but for us it wasn't need on the Dempster.

BcDano screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 03:09 PM
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote