User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
DiasDePlaya OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
DynaBeads

After reading so many good testimonials about DynaBeads am convinced that work.

But if the idea is to add a mass that can move freely inside the tire, and reading that truckers use to golf balls, it would be better still add a liquid? Water? Oil?

Your comments please.

"Ya veras como quieren en Chile al amigo cuando es forastero"
Traditional song
DiasDePlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Rex Nemo
horizon calling

Oddometer: 298
When I was a new rider I tried 'em--total nightmare. The ceramic beads flew out and got stuck in the tire valve almost every time I tried to the tires air up or down, resulting in a couple of flats in the middle of nowhere. Couldn't wait to get rid of them.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya View Post
After reading so many good testimonials about DynaBeads am convinced that work.

But if the idea is to add a mass that can move freely inside the tire, and reading that truckers use to golf balls, it would be better still add a liquid? Water? Oil?

Your comments please.
Why don't you add liquid to your tires and let us know how it worked out.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:33 AM   #4
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
I'd imagine liquids would maintain too much inertia as the tire changes speeds, though how much that would affect handling at such small weights I wouldn't really know. Slosh around some water in a cup and see how long it takes to come to a rest. Then do the same with some small BB's or such.

On a similar vein, you have to take into account fluid viscosity. A thicker fluid would take longer to redistribute itself, compounding intertial issues.

Another issue with liquids is potential for evaporation. Even if you could assume your tube/tire had a 100% gas seal, you'd still lose vapor with every check or change in air pressure. Imagine having to top off your "tire fluids" when you air up your tire. Or letting air out of your tire and getting sprayed in the face. Fluids also tend to expand more with heat than solids, and remember that the next matter state beyond fluid is gas. Internal tire temps can get *hot*, so something like water would boil in your tires (though the tire pressure would probably prevent that -- same concept as a pressure cooker).

Then there's also the issue with possible degredation of the tire carcass or tube. A whole bunch of fluids would eat away/weaken/degrade the tire with constant months to years of exposure.

I'm sure there's a way to solve the above issues -- perhaps a dedicated, 100% gas tight "fluid balancing channel" that combos with a safe ultra low viscoscity fluid and runs in a dedicated channel inside the tire. Of course by this point you've kidna overcomplicated the tire to the point you might as well use something like dynabeads.
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:44 AM   #5
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
I'm currently trying them, I'm still out on my judgement on them. They seem to work.

My friend has them, and would rather use ride-on. He has a slow leak in his tire and with ride-on, he claims it balances the tire dynamically, but also seals punctures. That may be a liquid solution that you are looking for.

Another friend, says that they have helped add life to his tires, as they wear better (more evenly).

Another friend says he won't use them as he believes they create extra unncessary heat build up in the tire.

Discussion on dynabeads is almost like a discussion on what type of oil to use....
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:51 AM   #6
langloisandy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Dyna Beads

So should I go with the Synthetic Dyna Beads or Dino-Dyna-Beads???

;)

Andy
Guzzi Breva 750 and more...
langloisandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,125
Hate to horn in and try to make a sale that belongs in FM - but if any one is looking to buy, I have a kit I would sell (PM me if interested). I run all tube tires and "bash away" never balance them, if they need it I will use weights. I ran the beads one time in the girl friends bike but thats gone and shes riding dual sport with spokes so they are just sitting here. I had no bad experience with the beads like some people have, but did find mounting the tire was a little more of a pain. Personally I would not use liquid with them, I think they should be left to run dry.
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,705
I have been using them for ~ 10yrs & will continue to use them. I have a largish bag that I got on a group buy here on ADV.
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,403
I have been using Dyna Beads for about 8 months now. In one front tire. They work. I had a problem with a tire valve I got from them, they said it was better to run these longer valves, for some reason, so I got them and had to take the valve out and put a standard size one in. No problem with the standard size valve. The longer one would not hold more than 10 pounds pressure for two days.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya View Post
Your comments please.
A quick search of motorcycle consumer news and dyna beads will keep you amused for hours

here is a starter thread

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46366
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Nemo View Post
When I was a new rider I tried 'em--total nightmare. The ceramic beads flew out and got stuck in the tire valve almost every time I tried to the tires air up or down, resulting in a couple of flats in the middle of nowhere. Couldn't wait to get rid of them.
having heard about losing air more than once ... no thanks to dyna beads. too easy to balance wheel with weights... it's a solution looking for a problem.

some tires take almost no weight to balance. mounted a K-60 front required no weight on R80G/S. used a No Mar balance stand which shows very small variations.

blindly putting in dyna beads could add unnecessary weight to your wheel.

most concerning is reading about Dunlop waranty and Dynabeads does anyone know if this is true?

_cy_ screwed with this post 11-01-2012 at 09:45 PM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #12
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,136
I've been using Dyna Beads for about the last 30,000 miles. I've been sold ever since. I've had a glass smooth ride every time...

However, a curious thing happened a couple weeks ago. I got a nail in my rear tire. The tires were nearly shot anyhow, so I decided to change both front and rear. I was in a hurry because I was running late due to the unexpected tire changes. In my rush, I forgot to put Dyna Beads in the front tire. Guess what? Glass smooth ride. It's been over 2,000 miles since forgetting to put the beads in... and it's still a glass smooth ride. Now, I have kept the original wheel weights in place in both of my bikes that I've used the Dyna Beads in.

I'm beginning to wonder if I've been using snake oil all along...

I think from now on I'm not going to balance the tires or use the Dyna Beads. If it's a smooth ride, great! If it's not, I'll try adding Dyna Beads. If that smooths out the ride, than I'll be reasonably certain that Dyna Beads work. If it fails to work, I'll be reasonably certain that Dyna Beads are snake oil.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #13
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post

I think from now on I'm not going to balance the tires or use the Dyna Beads. If it's a smooth ride, great! If it's not, I'll try adding Dyna Beads. If that smooths out the ride, than I'll be reasonably certain that Dyna Beads work. If it fails to work, I'll be reasonably certain that Dyna Beads are snake oil.
That's what I did a long time ago. They work fine.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #14
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,664
I had this happen to me once on my track bike- at the time I was riding a motard on hand cut tires. The rear went flat in a hurry and spun on the rim, tearing the valve stem clean off of the tube. It got my attention.

I have a habit of checking tire pressures with the stem in the 6-9 o'clock position- which can allow a Dynabead to sneak into the schrader if you have to let a little air out. The solution when using Dynabeads is to make sure you always check your pressures with the tire somewhere between 9 and 3- not so easy to do on some machines.

I have a balancer and use tape weights on most of my bikes- but I do run the beads in a bike I keep out of state. I think they work well, but you have to remember they are there when checking pressure or swapping tires.

[/QUOTE]

Back in the bad old days (the 70's) my Dad used some sort of liquid balancer in the tires of his BMW. I don't recall what the brand was (he called it "Tire snot") but it did seem to work and he never had any issues with it. I don't remember him having to fix a puncture with the snot inside the tire, bit I imagine it would have made a horrible mess.

I have used "slime" tire sealant in some tubed garden tractor tires with good results- and I suspect it would balance a tire in the same manner that the Dynabeads do.... anyone try this stuff as a balancing agent? .
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #15
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,664
OK- I'm looking at the above pic again and it strikes me that if I had had the Dynabeads stick in the valve when checking the tire pressure (which is what I had always assumed had been the case) I probably would have noticed all of the air wooshing out before I replaced the cap. The only other plausible explanation I can come up with has to do with track speeds. It's possible for the Schrader to be flung slightly open at really high speeds- which is why one is supposed to use metal valve cover caps with a gasket inside of them when fooling about on the track- or have those cool valves that exit the rim at a 90 degree angle. Perhaps a combination of high speed and perfectly timed bumps along with a synchronous positioning of the Dynabeads is a more accurate explanation for this happening- and may explain why it has occurred to some of us but not to others. How fast have you gone with Dynabeads in your tires? My failure happened at a venue that allowed a top speed of about 120MPH (for my machine- thats about all a thumper can be expected to do) on a really bumpy track.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote