Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
pipersupercub OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
ABS Module Failure - Repair

Hey Guys,
Well I got the dreaded "brake failure" warning light on my 2007 GS Adventure R1200. The dealer diagnosed it and said the code read "could not maintain pressure", and of course quoted an insane price. After searching various forums and posts I see that a couple of companies offer to rebuild/fix the module for a fraction of the cost of a new one so I'm leaning towards giving it a try. A few question come to mind however.

1. Has anyone had this code and what caused it? Stuck valves? Blocked orifices? Bad motor brushes?

2. Any suggestions on which shop to use? So far I know of ModuleMasters and AutoECU.

3. How hard is the module to remove and replace?

4. How difficult is it to bleed the system once it's back on?

5. Do I need a diagnostic tool like GS-911 or BMW's diagnostic computer to clear the code and/or perform any part of the work?

Thanks,
Kris
pipersupercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
VancouverBob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
I have a friend from Ohio that stores his bike at our house on the West Coast. It's and 1150, but I would imagine you could do the same thing. His failed and was diagnosed by the local BMW dealer. They wanted $2,200 for a new module. What we did is take his bike to a local independent dealer, which removed the module and then he shipped it to a place he found on EBay for repair. Cost for the rebuild.....$350!

I'll see if I can find the name of the place, but I'm sure you can find it with a search.
VancouverBob is offline   Reply With Quote