Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #16
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,842
I May Have Missed It...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf View Post
So--yesterday I take my 2007 Adventure (36k miles) into the dealer for a couple of recalls and alternator belt replacement. As I pull into the parking lot the "Brake Failure" light comes on. A couple of hours later the dealer calls and says the ABS module has failed---$2200 repair. In my research here it looks like Module Masters in Moscow, Idaho can rebuild these. This the non-servo Teeves version that first came out in 2007. Has anyone had this version rebuilt and can someone point me to instructions for removing the unit. Thank you.
What was the cost of the module? I assume $2,200 included labor. Although I thought I had kept up, I have not heard of frequent failures of the non-servo ABS modules. I like Jim's idea of cleaning out the system, adjusting to specs and giving it a go. Simple way to check if ABS is working...use it on dirt.
Wallowa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #17
dwf OP
2007 R1200GS Adventure

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
What was the cost of the module? I assume $2,200 included labor. Although I thought I had kept up, I have not heard of frequent failures of the non-servo ABS modules. I like Jim's idea of cleaning out the system, adjusting to specs and giving it a go. Simple way to check if ABS is working...use it on dirt.
$2,200 did include the labor. The fault codes indicate an electronic failure. I have talked to Module Masters and they immediately responded that they know what the issue is and they can fix it for $250.
dwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #18
Twilight Error
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,264
Quote:
$2,200 did include the labor. The fault codes indicate an electronic failure. I have talked to Module Masters and they immediately responded that they know what the issue is and they can fix it for $250.
Then go for it. The lines should unscrew from the unit easily enough. They'll drip in the pan where the unit was, so I'd ziptie a finger off a nitrile glove onto each (not too close to the fitting, you want room for fluid collection) and be ready to bleed the system when the module gets back. The harness connector may take a moment to figure out, the connector on my 1150 and 1100 required a screwdriver to lift a latch, which simultaneously pulled the connector off the module. Bag and ziptie that, too.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #19
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,842
Got That..But What Did Module Cost?

Quote:
OK...although now a moot point, since Module Masters say they can 'repair' it [what exactly do they say the repair entails?],...But what is the cost of a new BMW ABS Module? Just buying the module and not including labor.

Personally I would try the flush and fill, check connectors first and then send in the module for repair.
Wallowa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #20
JStancampiano
PhotoJoe

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Module Masters fixed ours and did a great job. The brushes on the motor get stuck in the holder and fail to make contact. They replace the brushes and holders with new parts.
This failure will show up as two faults on the abs pump. There is a post here somewhere explaining the whole thing

Joe
Old 11-03-2012, 07:14 AM   #21
EdCG
Just Some Guy

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
I have the same failure on my 2007 GSA. For the time being I'm simply riding without ABS.... no additional harm will come to any systems riding without the functionality (assuming that this rider doesn't do something silly). I plan to send my unit in to Module Masters as well.... When I initially talked to them about 6 weeks ago they quoted me $350 to service mine... It sounds like they may have dropped their price.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #22
the-oz-slider
The Oz Slider

Oddometer: 42
Pissed ABS Failure

I have been down this road [hahaha] for 18 months now, exacerbated by the last dealer who worked on the bike [in Pennsylvania] doing some work on corroded wiring into the ABS module, leaving me with both ABS malfunctions and poorly repaired wiring....
I have been riding the bike without ABS for that time and it has been fine...in some respects I prefer it without ABS but a spin on my sons 1100S quickly convinces me I should get it fixed....so its off to Modulemaster this week.

Our GS911 said that the fault was "motor voltage insufficient" or something like that.....

To remove the ABS unit is quite simple, as follows.
1. Remove tank and all the bits and pieces associated with that.
2. Find the big electrical plug on the left hand side, lift the anchor clip to free the plug and slowly ease the plug back. Move it out of the way.
3. Undo the brake lines from the abs module and have a piece of hose available which is suitable to jam over the brake line ends and hook two lines up to each other to stop fluid leaking. Bend the lines slightly and carefully to the right to get them out of the way.
4. Undo the bolts that hold the module bracket onto the bike, one located down each side of the module.These use those stupid star headed bolts. Replace them with stainless socket screws when you replace the unit.
5. Remove the little round gadget on the left hand side that is clipped into a bracket on the abs bracket [dont know what it is....].
6. Carefully lift the entire unit up and awaaaayyyy.......
8. If you are concerned about oil leaking out the brake lines then place a container under them but I left the two pieces of hose in place and wrapped them with a big rag, and then added a container later for good measure....
7. Dont send Modulemaster the bracket, just the complete unit.

I actually dismantled my unit and the motor indeed would not rotate smoothly, which is exactly what the problem is apparently, with the brushes in the motor breaking down.

I have been a BMW rider/owner/racer for more years than I care to count, and this poor product [the ABS] and the substandard wiring quality [the wire diameter is miniscule and easily damaged] almost caused me to dump this bike and never ride a BMW again. Im still not happy with the ABS problems, and its made worse by the fact that BMW knows there is a problem [Modulemaster has made a very good business out of fixing ABS units] just like the rear end failures [there I go again...I promised myself I wouldn't mention it]but Im at a point in my life where I will keep at it and make do........
Oh and as I get older and weaker, an Orange bike with all the weight up high, just doesn't seem like its a good fit for me.....
Good luck with your ABS problem resolution........
Al
the-oz-slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #23
Beemerlover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom1104 View Post
It never fails. I wake up, think about buying a BMW, and then I read a thread like this by lunchtime.

EVERY.

SINGLE.

TIME.

Good luck brother, that really really sucks.
+1 on that Bro. Same for me.

No doubt the fanboyz & apologists will chime in bigtime, but facts are facts.

AFAIK, these are the only bikes anywhere that have their own guy who makes a living by selling a module to identify and hopefully troubleshoot the problems that are always cropping up (GS 911).

Beemerlover screwed with this post 11-04-2012 at 03:44 PM
Beemerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #24
jrlakin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I can't speak to removal of an ABS unit on an 07 or newer GS, but my friend and I removed and replaced one of the Servo units on an 05 GS. It really wasn't all that hard to do. My O5 unit went out and I was able to buy a used unit from the internet.
jrlakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #25
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerlover View Post
+1 on that Bro. Same for me.

No doubt the fanboyz & apologists will chime in bigtime, but facts are facts.

AFAIK, these are the only bikes anywhere that have their own guy who makes a living by selling a module to identify and hopefully troubleshoot the problems that are always cropping up (GS 911).
You might want to change your name to BeemerHater!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:37 AM   #26
Callisto224
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You might want to change your name to BeemerHater!

Jim
+1

2009 1200GS
Callisto224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:51 AM   #27
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCG View Post
I have the same failure on my 2007 GSA. For the time being I'm simply riding without ABS.... no additional harm will come to any systems riding without the functionality (assuming that this rider doesn't do something silly). I plan to send my unit in to Module Masters as well.... When I initially talked to them about 6 weeks ago they quoted me $350 to service mine... It sounds like they may have dropped their price.
regarding above quote - When I lost mine last year I not only lost ABS I lost the odometer, speedometer and brake light stayed on all the time!!!!!!! Did you experience the same?

I lost mine on the way to Key West for start of Key West to Prudhoe Bay and back to Key West.......so I was very fortunate that the dealer had the module in stock and worked the bike right away. I live in Homestead I just rode it home and then to the shop. The dealer had it back to me the day before I actually left to head to AK. I had no time to do a rebuild or anything such as that.......hell, didn't even really find out they were an issue until I got back from the trip.......

Good luck with your repairs!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #28
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
regarding above quote - When I lost mine last year I not only lost ABS I lost the odometer, speedometer and brake light stayed on all the time!!!!!!! Did you experience the same?

I lost mine on the way to Key West for start of Key West to Prudhoe Bay and back to Key West.......so I was very fortunate that the dealer had the module in stock and worked the bike right away. I live in Homestead I just rode it home and then to the shop. The dealer had it back to me the day before I actually left to head to AK. I had no time to do a rebuild or anything such as that.......hell, didn't even really find out they were an issue until I got back from the trip.......

Good luck with your repairs!!
So changing the module fixed your odometer and speedometer?

Sorry, I don't get that at all. They are not related. The usual fix for that is a rear speed sensor. This is often caused by crud on the sensor, or a damaged sensor.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #29
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharkfan View Post
Dom, for every one of these threads there are thousands of us out enjoying our bikes. Don't let the "problem" threads scare you. This is where we come for advice before paying the dealer. Often we find out it is something easy to fix and do the repairs.
Yea don't sweat it bro. Come on in, the water is warm and the kool aid tastes great!
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:15 AM   #30
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
So changing the module fixed your odometer and speedometer?

Sorry, I don't get that at all. They are not related. The usual fix for that is a rear speed sensor. This is often caused by crud on the sensor, or a damaged sensor.

Jim
Not really sure how they tied all that together. They said there was a fault code caused by the module failure that took all the other stuff out. The code that was there actually made it difficult to analyze the problem down to the module. I honestly don't recall all the details because I was so pissed that it happened!!! Only thing replaced, that they put on the invoice, was the module and all problems went away. Didn't phase me as to the cause, I was happy to get the bike on the road and not delay/cancel my trip. Like I said, I didn't really find all the info on the module issues to much later!! They might have cleaned a sensor and got the other issues fixed by that and not say anything. I did have the ABS Failure light once the module went. Thats actually how I noticed the issue because it didnt shut off once the bike was rolling.

FLARider1 screwed with this post 11-06-2012 at 05:20 AM
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote