User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
David13 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Mazatlan to Zihuatenejo

Should be my route near the end of the year, this year. I want to stop in/stay at Las Hadas, and lastly somewhere in Zihuatenejo.
I would like to just ride along the road by the waterfront. Others have recommended going inland and thru' Guadalajara.
I don't want to do that, tho' further south I may go inland to see one of the small colonial style towns.
Any recommendations in Zihuatenejo, and as to the small towns would be welcome and as to road conditions and which roads to take from Mazatlan to Las Hadas.
Thanks
dc
David13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by David13 View Post
Any recommendations in Zihuatenejo,
Andy Dufrense and Red have a small hotel there on the beach.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Andy Dufresne: You know what the Mexicans say about the Pacific?
Red: No.
Andy Dufresne: They say it has no memory. That's where I want to live the rest of my life. A warm place with no memory.

BobLoblaw screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 10:11 PM
BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
ADV Fool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Now that's some funny stuff!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
That's good stuff. . . . .
2010 HD Ultra "Limited"
ADV Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
Dave ,
Nothing wrong with going along "the waterfront" route as you say. That would be from Mazatlan south on Mex 15 to Tepic, then Mex 200 all the way to Zihuatanejo.
But you are aware that you actually will not see the ocean very often until near Puerto Vallarta , right ? ---- and then it becomes a fantastic sea- side -cliff route in many places all the way from east Colima state through a big part of the Michoacan coast .
Which Las Hadas are you so intent of visiting-- the one in San Quintin BC( about $10) or the one in Manzanillo's north end tourist zone ( about $100 minimum) ?
Just Kidding, You are no doubt on a higher budget than I would want for hotels. , but I highly recommend my favourite place to stay in Zihuatanejo , the Posada Casandoho , a friendly, family owned small hotel at #1 Presa de Amistad , right downtown , a mere 5 blocks stroll from the waterfront , just off Av Morelos the main route into the Centro from Mex 200 . No loud bars or discos next door nor nearby to keep you awake with their drunken riots late into the night. And a secure gated yard to safely park your bike out of sight.
So once you are in Zihua' what are you going to do about an eventual return -home or farther onward route?
As for "colonial" towns, that would on this ride be a sparse comodity. PV has a bit of old downtown , but the actual "colonial " towns are more in the middle of Mexico , old , REALLY OLD old - Mexico. where the Spanish influence was put up in masonry to last centuries. e.g Oaxaca, the Bajio, central plateau and so on with the picturesque old towns.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #6
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV Fool View Post
That's good stuff. . . . .
I was a "replacement ref" during the days of the Burbank writers strike
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
sunquest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Question PHX to Zihuatenejo

I will be riding to ZIH around Dec. 8 from PHX providing the roads are good from North Idaho as I am trucking the bike to PHX . Made the trip 2 years ago just looking for some one to ride along. Family has a house in ZIH so I will staying untill Jan. then maybe on to Cancun. Riding a VFR so staying on the BLACK roads let me know if this fits your schedule
sunquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
David13 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Bakker
Yes, I have been down the road before. And yes, it is Las Hadas aka Manzanillo. Anyway, thanks for the info.
Sunquest
I cannot get on the road by December 8. I was hoping to be on the road by xmas, and spend the first and last day of the year at Las Hadas or Zihuatenejo but now the better half says she has other ideas for the big holidays for us.
She was going to meet me there.
Now I may well be delayed into January or February, or later depending on weather.
Thanks
dc
David13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #9
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,860
There are great rides to be had by doing a zig zag between the coast and inland towns. Places like Tequilla are e.g. but many others.
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
There are great rides to be had by doing a zig zag between the coast and inland towns. ......
I need to do that.
Most of my trips on 200 and 15 have been A-to-B kinda runs.
I've looked at the maps and their is tons of good stuff right off of that express coastal run.
Thanks for bringing it up.
Key: Plan for it, slow down, and explore a bit.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #11
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
I've looked at the maps and their is tons of good stuff right off of that express coastal run.
Thanks for bringing it up.
Key: Plan for it, slow down, and explore a bit.
You are right there, headed south out of Mazatlan there are lots of fun little side trips to the beach and the greatest seafood ever built.... I could honestly take three or four days getting to San Blas! (it's two and a half hours on 15)
Did I hear SR (I think) talk about a dirt road from San Blas to Maz, I have not found that one yet.

See the big Pismo's in the back?

Mexico; it's an amazing place...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #12
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,860
I was inferring to make the various runs over the mtn range that parallels the Pacific coast, not just to hit small roads that take in beach towns but that's another great notion too. This winter I'm leaning toward Baja(pavement only/meet wife for beach time/fish/snorkel) then ferry to mainland & circulate...Too nice in KY to go now!
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #13
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
I could honestly take three or four days getting to San Blas! (it's two and a half hours on 15)
Did I hear SR (I think) talk about a dirt road from San Blas to Maz, I have not found that one yet.

Mexico; it's an amazing place...
+1, Mmm looks good!

David, Sounds fun!

Just south of Mazatlan if you head SW from Villa Union (State HW 6) there is a cool stretch where you can ride about 20 Km along the beach then you pop back on to the highway at Rosario. It's a lot more interesting then the highway through that stretch. Jimmex, Schizzman and myself did it this Spring. El Cuchupetas is a landmark seafood restaurant located in Villa Union. It is pretty good and always packed with people.

GoingSouth, yes there is a stretch of dirt north of the highway, from Concordia to Rosario but it is only passable in the dry season because you have to cross a river. It's probably okay by now?

Heading further south, Playa Noviellero is a little off the path but it is a nice tranquillo beach spot for a meal.

South of that, west of Ruiz, Nayarit is the Mexcaltitan island. According to legend, this place is the origin of the Aztec People, so it has historical importance. Other than that, it's just an island in the middle of a swamp with some restaurants on it, but if you are up for an adventure, it's fun to take a boat across the swamp from one side to the other. See Google Earth.

If you do stay in San Blas, stay at the Hacienda Flamingo and visit the Old Spanish Fort, then head down the coast from there to PV.

SR screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 08:51 AM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #14
CeeBee
The Cake Baker

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by David13 View Post
Should be my route near the end of the year, this year. I want to stop in/stay at Las Hadas, and lastly somewhere in Zihuatenejo.
Any recommendations in Zihuatenejo
dc
Arrived home last week from a short 13 day ride and ended up in Zihuat. Only spent one night, but went looking for Morgan Freeman and his boat anyway. Stayed at the Zihuat Hotel a block off the water in El Centro and after a little conversation they cut the price almost in half. Had parking by the pool and it was quiet - weekday though.
Took a road, not on the map, out of Durango and spent the night in Jesus Maria ,little Indian town,

About 80 miles of this and believe it or not it was alot of fun!!

then down to San Blas, the JeJe city (or whatever you call those no see'ums that bite!) So take some repellant!!

Followed the coast down to Mismaloya, just south of PV and spent three days.

Took 200 along the coast and spent the night at a little playa with bungalow's up on a cliff overlooking the ocean.

After that just followed 200 to Zihuat. Had to get back to work so climbed through the mountains and was at the border in two days with physical damage to my butt (stock seat on a WeeStrom).
Had a great trip - Like Tricepilot said " Don't worry to much about the plan, Just head south".

Never a hint of being or feeling unsafe - not even by the borders- but didn't hang out at questionable spots at night either.

Later, Chuck
CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #15
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
If you do stay in San Blas, stay at the Hacienda Flamingo and visit the Old Spanish Fort, then head down the coast from there to PV.
If you like things a little more natural, stoner surf camp..

And see the Croc farm/river tour..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
Like Tricepilot said " Don't worry to much about the plan, Just head south".
That's Going South.... thank you...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote