ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #16
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,127
I might be up for some riding this weekend Ian.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #17
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
Well I didn't go the dual-sport route. Picked up a '78 Yamaha XS650, made to look like a Triumph Scrambler. So I'm good with pavement or graded dirt roads on either the Stelvio or the XS.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...651336&page=77
Oh man, I've been drooling over that bike ever since it was posted on the Craigslist finds. Put me at the top of the list if you're ever looking to sell it.

Might be up for some short local riding this weekend.
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #18
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
With any luck I'll be out and about on the XS today, assuming I have properly appeased the gods of the fuel petcocks and haven't set fire to anything in the process. Just running around town a bit...to Apex to pick up some chain lube and whatever else I can't live without. I also want to look at their Triumphs to see if I can solidify some ideas cooking in my head. May head over to Pike's Peak motorsports on Powers (depending on what Apex has sitting in their showroom) to look at their Triumphs today as well...I need to get eyes on a Scrambler.

If the petcock gods are not pleased, I'll be on the Guzzi. Say hi if you're out running around and see me.

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #19
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_l View Post
Im on a blue and white KLR with alsaska tags and i live right outside gate 20 . Im always game for more riding .

I swear I've seen your bike on post. Your pad on the crossbar sticks in my mind. I live out gate 20 as well, close to Safeway.

Yep...just remembered that I saw it within the past couple days, parked in front of the building with clothing sales and the class VI store. I head to the Korean place nearly every day for lunch.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #20
wayne_l
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
I swear I've seen your bike on post. Your pad on the crossbar sticks in my mind. I live out gate 20 as well, close to Safeway.

Yep...just remembered that I saw it within the past couple days, parked in front of the building with clothing sales and the class VI store. I head to the Korean place nearly every day for lunch.
yep i was having lunch with my lady . im right below Lowes ..were neighbors ..i ride it everyday .
wayne_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #21
wayne_l
Gnarly Adventurer

anyone riding tomarrow ? maybe quick ride up 67 and back ?
Old 11-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #22
circlermotel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
riding

It's amazing to me that the weather is still so mild. Monarch Ski resort is supposed to open next week, but has had to lay off people and postpone opening. No snow. This whole area is still rideable! So get out here and enjoy it....
Old 11-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #23
wayne_l
Gnarly Adventurer

anyone want to go for a sunday ride ?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #24
thesurvivalist OP
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 549
Im currently in Alabama on permissive tdy but will be back soon. Do you guys know where I can do the brc msf course ? The web says im supposed to register on imscom but noone I know has heard of that system. Or does anyone know who Im suposed to call to get on the waiting list?

A few days ago I saw a klr pass the commissary but im not sure what color it was.

Im going to see how my dr200 keeps up on the high altitude mountain roads. Id like to stick with my bike as the mpg is awesome and is great off road. Id like a klr but ive heard just as many bad owner reviews as good ones.
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #25
wayne_l
Gnarly Adventurer

on the backroads and trails exploring you would be fine ,but on the roads might be faster on foot ... alot of the trails back there are around 10k feet or better dr400 be about perfect and i see alot of them up there .
Old 11-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #26
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
Im currently in Alabama on permissive tdy but will be back soon. Do you guys know where I can do the brc msf course ? The web says im supposed to register on imscom but noone I know has heard of that system. Or does anyone know who Im suposed to call to get on the waiting list?

A few days ago I saw a klr pass the commissary but im not sure what color it was.

Im going to see how my dr200 keeps up on the high altitude mountain roads. Id like to stick with my bike as the mpg is awesome and is great off road. Id like a klr but ive heard just as many bad owner reviews as good ones.
Go to https://apps.imcom.army.mil/AIRS/default.aspx .

Select All Regions

Scroll down to Fort Carson

Select the course you need on a date with availabilities. Make sure that you arrive early and you've got all your paperwork (insurance, registration, license, past MSF cards, etc), or you may be turned around and your slot given to someone else.

They offer the basic and experienced rider's courses for free here. There's a policy letter about the timing of it...something about if your basic course is more than 3 years old you'll have to retake that (on a school-provided bike), then take the experienced rider course within 12 months of that. The policy letter is out of date though, as it says that you've got to do that to register your bike on post...there is no vehicle registration at Carson anymore. No decals or anything...just show an ID at the gate and you're on.

I've done the experienced rider course here at Carson, as well as a required post-deployment refresher course. The guys who teach here are good...maybe not the most smiling & friendly guys around, but they know their stuff, and will help you in any way they can. If you truly can't handle a bike, they'll fail you, but they'll give you ample opportunity to prove you can't handle a bike. When I did the experienced rider course here, they failed this one female soldier on a 400cc scooter (she was seriously incompetent), and passed someone who dropped his 900-lb fully-dressed bagger while doing the figure-8 in the box. He was 5'3" and about 125 lbs, and despite having an incredibly low seat, he still couldn't flat-foot the bike, but other than the drop he did very well with it.

The courses fill up fast though, so sign up for one as soon as you can. They only post classes for about 2-3 months out, and update the course availabilities about once a month.

EDIT: Also, there is no requirement for reflective vests on Carson anymore. I still wear mine...I'm a high-vis fan. As long as you've got a helmet, boots, long pants, gloves, and long sleeves, you're fine to ride on post.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #27
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
Oh man, I've been drooling over that bike ever since it was posted on the Craigslist finds. Put me at the top of the list if you're ever looking to sell it.

Might be up for some short local riding this weekend.
On Friday this week I'll be doing a little wrenching on it in the garage. If you're free and want to come by for a look, I'm game. Shoot me a PM and I'll send my contact info.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #28
wayne_l
Gnarly Adventurer

i wear a ugly brite safety green helmet on base ... the biggest near miss ive had was sitting at stop sign at base gas station when a ford pick up was so intent on getting to the pumps he didnt see me he hit my front wheel ... had another bump my rear tire at a stop sign by px ..

The course is worth the effort i came out learning something new and made my riding alot more smooth . I made the wife do it too ..
Old 11-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #29
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_l View Post
The course is worth the effort i came out learning something new and made my riding alot more smooth . I made the wife do it too ..
Definitely worth it. Every time I've done an MSF course I've learned something new and improved something else. They're a great tool to break bad habits, and learn or reinforce good habits.

I need to sign up for another ERC before I retire...not sure I can still get them for free once I retire, so I want to do another one while I'm still on active duty.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #30
wayne_l
Gnarly Adventurer

this base is friendliest biker ive ever encountered , Alaska was a major PITA to ride on . I was blown away when i saw riding gear in the PX lol ..

I used to trailer my bike out the gate to ride just because i didnt have a base riding safety card .. .. And worse they didnt always ask for it so it was a crap shoot lol.. its easy as pie here i love it .