User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
akpackfan OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Heated Grips Suggestions?

I ride a DR650. Any suggestions on a brand or type of heated grip? Also, what about something beyond hand guards to put your hands into when riding? Do they get in the way of the controls? My weakest point when riding is cold hands. Makes it miserable....

Any suggestions are appreciated.
akpackfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpackfan View Post
... Any suggestions on a brand or type of heated grip? ...
If you have stock 7/8" steel handlebars you can use these.
https://www.google.com/search?q=poll...x-a&channel=sb
I liked 'em 'cause the wires were inside the bars with no exposed wires rotating back & forth on the throttle side. They are also very inexpensive.
I used the snowmachine ones.
They won't fit inside the aluminum bars that have thicker walls & therefore a smaller inside diameter.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
monjorrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
I just bought a couple cheap Chinese grip heaters off fleabay for $3.50 a pair. I figured for that price they were worth a try. They get pretty hot. Really hot, actually. I picked up a switch and automotive relay from AutoZone and wired it all up in about an hour. I've got less than $10 in the whole system. Overall I'm happy with it for now. Hand guards are next to keep the wind off.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,900
I use hot grips on my bike. Like them a lot, very warm and no complaints.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by monjorrow View Post
I just bought a couple cheap Chinese grip heaters off fleabay for $3.50 a pair. I figured for that price they were worth a try. They get pretty hot. Really hot, actually. I picked up a switch and automotive relay from AutoZone and wired it all up in about an hour. I've got less than $10 in the whole system. Overall I'm happy with it for now. Hand guards are next to keep the wind off.

I pretty much did this with my KLR. I bought the elements online, wrapped them around the existing grips and covered them with grips puppies or whatever they're called. Wired them up to a relay and switch and I was good to go.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Personally, I prefer heated gloves. No dicking around wiring up your bike with something that's probably going to fail years down the road. I generally ride with a couple fingers on both clutch & brake, and the gloves work better, if you roll that way.

Jeff
IBA #44600
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK650 View Post
Personally, I prefer heated gloves. No dicking around wiring up your bike with something that's probably going to fail years down the road. I generally ride with a couple fingers on both clutch & brake, and the gloves work better, if you roll that way.

Jeff
Well... that's okay if you're a wuss. But if you decide to take a ride when it is COLD! outside, it helps to have both.

All my bikes are equipped with Hot Grips. Haven't had a failure in tens of thousands of miles. The leads are flexible at below zero temps and, properly installed, don't interfere with any other wiring or hardware. From my own experience, as well as that of others who have chosen to go the same way, a variable controller (my preference is the Heat-Troller) is the only way to go. My bikes are all set up so that one Heat-Troller controls current to both grips and gloves, although my bikes are also equipped with multiple (redundant) power sources in case one should fail. It ain't the cheapest setup but it's always been there when I've needed it.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:53 PM   #8
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
Well... that's okay if you're a wuss. But if you decide to take a ride when it is COLD! outside, it helps to have both.

All my bikes are equipped with Hot Grips. Haven't had a failure in tens of thousands of miles. The leads are flexible at below zero temps and, properly installed, don't interfere with any other wiring or hardware. From my own experience, as well as that of others who have chosen to go the same way, a variable controller (my preference is the Heat-Troller) is the only way to go. My bikes are all set up so that one Heat-Troller controls current to both grips and gloves, although my bikes are also equipped with multiple (redundant) power sources in case one should fail. It ain't the cheapest setup but it's always been there when I've needed it.
Wuss! I'm just young enough to still have good circulation!

Hey Jack, how ya doing? Full disclosure, my F800 has grips and gloves. Came from the factory that way. For the Road Glide, just gloves.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jeff
IBA #44600
Old 11-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #9
Titlerider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Oxford Heaterz

I'll ride if it is 35 F or warmer. I' agree with you, cold hands take the fun out riding. A good value, though not inexpensive, I've enjoyed my Oxford Heaterz grips and rarely use them on full power. I also put on a pair of Aerostich Triple-Digit Covers. I would have installed hand guards to block the wind but could not find any that fit my bike; I tried three major brands.
Titlerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:14 PM   #10
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK650 View Post
Personally, I prefer heated gloves. No dicking around wiring up your bike ...
Tried the heated gloves Barb loaned me. Lots of dicking around trying to get 'em plugged into the sleeves of the jacket liner with one hand every time. They hardly got warm enough to tell they were on.
Easy to wire the bike. Once & it's done vs dick around plugging in the gloves every time you take 'em off? Then they're not warm enough? Passed. YMMV.
Heated grips, no controller, don't need it. On & off is fine. And they get too hot for bare hands.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #11
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Tried the heated gloves Barb loaned me. Lots of dicking around trying to get 'em plugged into the sleeves of the jacket liner with one hand every time. They hardly got warm enough to tell they were on.
Easy to wire the bike. Once & it's done vs dick around plugging in the gloves every time you take 'em off? Then they're not warm enough? Passed. YMMV.
Heated grips, no controller, don't need it. On & off is fine. And they get too hot for bare hands.
Like many things motorcycle, it's a subjective thing, apparently! The Gerbings gloves I've used for 5+ seasons work fine, and keep my hands plenty warm on my bike with no grip heat. After several hundred repetitions, hooking them up is second nature for me. 90% of the time, I have two fingers on the brake, and two on the clutch, it's just how I choose to ride. without heated gloves, they'd be numb, as they rarely, if ever, are wrapped around the grips. Different strokes, for different folks!

Jeff
IBA #44600
Old 11-28-2014, 02:20 AM   #12
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,125
These are what I use Chuck:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)

Alaskajeff screwed with this post 11-28-2014 at 05:17 AM
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
I was always afraid of the abrasion resistance with heated gloves. All of the ones I have seen look like your average snowball making glove. I tried the liners as well but I have to go up a glove size to get them to fit and you loose dexterity.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #14
Brendon@TMS
The Motorcycle Shop

Oddometer: 268
We've had really good results with the AME heated grips for all applications, dirt bike, street, dual sport, and ATV.

They're a little pricey compared to other options, $120 or so for a system. However, they've got some nice features like auto shutoff if your voltage drops below a certain value, and 5 level heat control. The rep is a local too, which is nice. Customer service has been fantastic too.

I even use them on my MTB with a battery pack for winter riding!
www.themotorcycleshop.com
brendon@themotorcycleshop.com
Brendon@TMS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:54 AM   #15
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 934
Revzilla has a nice deal on their Oxford heated grips. Just ordered mines for half off. Check out their site.

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote