Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #106
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,253
1976 bike. It originally didn't have the large spring under the diaphragm in the pic although riders do add this so it might be there. I have them in my carbs.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341

disston screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 12:01 AM
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #107
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtie View Post
Fuel vent wasn't it. Ran it without the cap and same thing. 20 minutes of good riding and then put put cough cough boom.
You rode the bike and all was well for twenty minutes? Gotta be that new ignition.
Not that I know what I'm talking about mind you.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #108
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME 109 View Post
You rode the bike and all was well for twenty minutes? Gotta be that new ignition.
Not that I know what I'm talking about mind you.
Sometimes something just sounds right. ^^^^^^^^

Electronics do break this way.

BTW, Who told you anybody here knew what he was talking abut?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 11-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #109
Yachtie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
I think it's ignition too. Unfortunately I didn't install it and my ahole of a friend who did swears he did it right and refuses to even look it over. He took my money to install it though with out a problem. O well. I'm out of town the next week and am going to read over the ignition info and hopefully get it sorted upon my return.
Yachtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #110
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtie View Post
Where can I find the diaphragms?
I could have told you last week.

Woodgrain
woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #111
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

The friend of yours mechanic should at least be willing to look at it. But the symptom of not running well after 20 mins doesn't sound like it is an installation problem. It sounds like the electronics are breaking down inside the module after they get warm. There may be a test for the unit but it's usually something we can't do. So the module goes back to the seller who can at least compare it to a known good unit.

One of the problems with after market ignitions, we don't have the expensive test gear. We would like to revert to the stock wiring as a test but in your case that would be difficult.

I would contact the people who sell the unit. See if they will either give you a test or will do some tests themselves. They will probably help. The bike will be down while you don't have the module.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:54 AM   #112
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post

I would contact the people who sell the unit. See if they will either give you a test or will do some tests themselves. They will probably help. The bike will be down while you don't have the module.
That would be my next move. I also think that the 'right' salesperson would know how to remedy the situation, or advise whether the installation is incorrect, or whether a component sounds faulty.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:19 AM   #113
photomd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
As I said before, I'd test the things that can change as it gets warm. I'd test the carbs for leaks and the simple tests I listed to rule in/out the carbs, fuel supply and the coils. If those test OK, I'd switch back to the original ignition and see if it runs OK.

Disston...it sure looks like it has a spring on top of the diaphragm, but I could be wrong.
1998 CR250

photomd screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 07:50 AM
photomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #114
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomd View Post

Disston...it sure looks like it has a spring on top of the diaphragm, but I could be wrong.
Not in the picture I posted. That is the generic picture for many years but the spring shown in this picture has no number attached to it because it isn't a part for the /6es. My '75 R90/6 did not have springs. I have added them which is popular to do.

I don't know what year was the first to get these springs but I do know there are two different versions. Apparently the first issue slide return springs were heavier than the second version. You have to figure this out or I could do it again but I'm tired of looking up parts tonight. The second issue springs, used until final production of Airheads are preferred over the earlier heavy ones.

disston screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 05:04 PM
Old 11-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #115
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,113
Fine example of a fully "shot" 32mm Bing diaphragm. This one failed while running down the road. I always carry a minimum of 2 spares...one for me and another for some other poor sot sitting along the road.
Sometimes they'll get a small pinhole in them too. your symptoms sound like something else though...What? I'll be keen to find out....wish you were nearer to me...I love solving mysteries!

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #116
Yachtie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got in touch with the ignition company. Have a few things to try when i get back into town. All symptoms are leading towards a wrongly installed ignition. Last time i'm letting friends work on my bike, well anything for that matter, been screwed over on my truck as well. If its something i can't do myself just going to pay a expert to do it right the first time...
Old 11-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #117
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

That's a tough one. I used to work on my friends cars when I was younger. Maybe I did it different. I didn't have this problem tho. My friends said I was great. I saved them money or I sent them some place else. Sometimes I didn't save then money. It all seemed to work out but looking back on that now I must say I didn't always know what I was doing. With something like the installation of an after market ignition on an Airhead? They have directions. How can you not do it right?

I guess you want to not use that friend for bike or other mechanics work but this doesn't mean he's not a friend I hope.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #118
photomd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Yachtie, where are you?

If you're near Florence, SC, I'll be glad to help when I have time.

I think you'll learn a lot if you can hook up with some airheads in your area. That way you can learn some mechanical basics as well as some of the quirks of our bikes.
1998 CR250
photomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #119
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,113
I love points & condensors!!!!!
to hell with the electronic gizmos!....

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #120
Yachtie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well been out of town for the last 7 weeks. Back into town tomorrow and need to get this bike problem solved so I can enjoy my airhead! I don't even know where I left off.

My first plan is to try and remove the new ignition and install the stock one. Problem I face is I didn't install the new one and it has a 41 page instruction manual. Anyone in south Florida willing lens a expert hand?