Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
bimmercity OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Wicked No start. Changed starter. Still no start.

My 88' r100rt will not try to start. Nothing. No click, just silence. I pulled out the volt meter. Checked solenoid on starter. 12v coming out small wire. 12v coming from battery. Nothing on the 'other' post on solenoid. Starter engages when 'jumped'.

I assumed the solenoid was bad. I just happened to have a brand new veleo so I swapped out the starter for the new one. Still nothing.

What else should I look at? How do I test switch? Relays? Fuses? All other electric systems work. All grounds are good. Battery is good. All electric 'looks' good. Any ideas? I can't wait to hear this thing run.

Thanks
Ryan
bimmercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmercity View Post
My 88' r100rt will not try to start. Nothing. No click, just silence. I pulled out the volt meter. Checked solenoid on starter. 12v coming out small wire. 12v coming from battery. Nothing on the 'other' post on solenoid. Starter engages when 'jumped'.

I assumed the solenoid was bad. I just happened to have a brand new veleo so I swapped out the starter for the new one. Still nothing.

What else should I look at? How do I test switch? Relays? Fuses? All other electric systems work. All grounds are good. Battery is good. All electric 'looks' good. Any ideas? I can't wait to hear this thing run.

Thanks
Ryan
Is the bike stock or have the electrics been modified?

Do you have a wiring diagram?

Edit----

When you say you "jumped" the starter, what did you jump? Big power directly to the motor with some regular jumper cables or little power to the hot side terminal on the solenoid?

Plaka screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 08:45 PM
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
Lotus54
Ngana

Oddometer: 141
Way is the actual voltage?
12v is quite low.

Check battery voltage, should be 12.8 or close to it.
Now check along the line and see if you have voltage drops.

How did you check the grounds? I'm not tring to be insulting or a smart ass, I've just seen a lot of people just tug on them and say they are fine.

Take all apart, clean really well. Check the resistance to the battery ground.

I had a recent customer bike that wouldn't start. There were quite a few things bad, the main earth (ground) especially. But I also replaced all the power and earth cables with some 2gauge ones I made up. No voltage drop when cranking.

It sort of sounds like battery issues to me, if it starts when you jump it.

So... Do a real load test and see if the battery is good. Make sure it is fully charged, work meticulously all along the complete circuit (positive and negative)

Mark
Old 09-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
bimmercity OP
Adventurer

I have taken the grounds loose and cleaned. The battery is a new BMW battery. Fully charged. I have not checked for any voltage drop.

I may have been confusing when I said 'jumped'. I meant jumping the solenoid from one post to the other. Maybe should have used the word bypass. I did not jump my bike w/jumper cables. I do not believe I am having battery issues. I could be wrong though and will double check.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
I have taken the grounds loose and cleaned. The battery is a new BMW battery. Fully charged. I have not checked for any voltage drop.

I may have been confusing when I said 'jumped'. I meant jumping the solenoid from one post to the other. Maybe should have used the word bypass. I did not jump my bike w/jumper cables. I do not believe I am having battery issues. I could be wrong though and will double check.
"jumped" will work. Just gotta say what. So you're confirmed the starter solenoid operation and motor. I assume when you jumped the solenoid coil connections the starter motor turned AND it turned over the engine.

I'm not going to write up some long thing on how to analyze it before I know your situation. I'll try to help but i'm not interested in showing off what I know. I asked some questions to get a feeling for where you're at and the the resources at hand. If you don't answer I got my own problems need attention. Fair?
Old 09-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
Lotus54
Ngana

Oddometer: 141
Ok, that's totally different.

I've seen a lot of solinoids like that where the other post is the ground side - so the battery voltage (when pushing the button) on one small post, ground on the other. That energizes the electromagnet and brings the connection 'washer' up to touch the Main power posts together.

Many of these have safety interlocks, often working by not supplying the ground to the 'other' small post.

I would try seeing if the wire on the other small post goes to ground well. Check your wiring diagram then and see if you have a widest and switch, nuetral switch etc. ground the other small post should allow it to turn over (well, if that huge load of assumptions I just made are correct,

Mark
Old 09-07-2013, 01:32 AM   #7
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,772
Quote:

Thanks
Ryan
It looks like your bike is wired to not start in neutral. So, is it in neutral? Did you check the clutch switch at the handlebar and the neutral switch for function? Check for continuity of the starter switch too.
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:47 AM   #8
oldroadie
Two wheel addict

Oddometer: 454
In my case the perch switch wasn't making good contact and ad to be refurbished. Do you know if the switch is supplying 12V to the solenoid via the starter relay?
oldroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:05 AM   #9
bimmercity OP
Adventurer

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying Plaka. "...not interested in showing off what I know...If you don't answer, I got my own problem need attention. Fair?"

Lotus54, the starter on the airheads is grounded when bolted to block. It's a three prong starter. No extra ground.

So I need to check: clutch switch, neutral switch, starter switch. I am not sure what a perch switch is.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:20 AM   #10
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,275
If you aren't even getting a click, swap out the starter relay, it's quick and easy.

Keep shit simple.
villageidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #11
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,772
Quote:

So I need to check: clutch switch, neutral switch, starter switch. I am not sure what a perch switch is.
I'm betting it's the clutch switch at the perch... The parts where the switches and levers mount on your handlebars are called "perches". Do you know what a perch wedge is?
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #12
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what you are saying Plaka. "...not interested in showing off what I know...If you don't answer, I got my own problem need attention. Fair?"

Lotus54, the starter on the airheads is grounded when bolted to block. It's a three prong starter. No extra ground.

Asked you 3 questions, you answered one. Imagine you have your reasons.
Good luck with it.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #13
oldroadie
Two wheel addict

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
. I am not sure what a perch switch is.
The handlebar levers and switches are mounted on "perches." A vintage term for classic bikes...
oldroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,126
Quote:
My 88' r100rt will not try to start. Nothing. No click, just silence. I pulled out the volt meter. Checked solenoid on starter. 12v coming out small wire. 12v coming from battery.
When you say 12V on the small wire, during what point in the starting process are you referring to? Key on, starter pressed, not pressed, etc?
Old 09-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
bimmercity OP
Adventurer

Now I know what perches are! Im getting smarter everyday! Not sue what a 'perch wedge' is though.

The 12v reading was w/key in the on position. No pushing buttons.

Plaka, I think I've answered all your questions, but if not and that bothers you enough to be pompous, sarcastic and believing you have more important things to do, well. Please go do them.

I did see a question I missed. The only wiring diagram I have is online. It's a bit fuzzy to read on my phone(only computer at home)

bimmercity screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 03:38 PM