Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #46
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post

The dots need to face outwards and be on top. The oil gallery is angled to flow oil from the oil route around the top stud into the needle bearings in the rocker arm. If you have it the way round the oil gallery doesn't work and you end with a reduced oil flow through the bearings.

I see on the pictures that your bikes a V reg so may be a 1979 or 80 model. Are you running points? They sit under the front engine cover in what's known as a "Bean can" and may be the source of you problem.
Rob, he mentioned checking the points. But I think you need to take a really good look at your coils.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #47
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Rob, he mentioned checking the points. But I think you need to take a really good look at your coils.
Missed that bit.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #48
Byron1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Spinner View Post
I hear having a set of worldbeaters in like having two angels riding along with you Good luck with the rest of the trip!
Thanks Clayspinner.. Those panniers are amazing. Can't recommend them or Vern at www.projectvnd.com enough! He is a top bloke and spent the weekend with me customising them exactly for our bike.
Byron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #49
Byron1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Getting there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post

The dots need to face outwards and be on top. The oil gallery is angled to flow oil from the oil route around the top stud into the needle bearings in the rocker arm. If you have it the way round the oil gallery doesn't work and you end with a reduced oil flow through the bearings.

I see on the pictures that your bikes a V reg so may be a 1979 or 80 model. Are you running points? They sit under the front engine cover in what's known as a "Bean can" and may be the source of you problem.
Thanks for all the suggestions re the spark. We set off again this morning all running fine and sure enough 20 miles down the road it started spluttering. ha ha ha!

Pretty sure it was related to the coils as when it was happening the tacho needle dropped from 3k revs to 1k then bounced back up again.. If I am not mistaken the tacho works off the coils?

Whipped the tank off and had a really thorough poking about. Cleaned all the terminals going onto the coil and made sure all wires were decently connected. As it happened, the jumper wire between the two coils was pretty loose on one side and came off without any resistance when I pushed it. I crimped it on as best I could, put the tank back on and hey presto! No more spluttering and it ran fine for the rest of the day.

Hopefully that's that now fixed and that wire not making the proper connection hasn't done any damage to the coils ??

As regards the valves. That is going to keep me awake all night. First thing in the morning I will swap it around so it is in the correct position. We did about 150 miles today.. I hope to god I haven't damaged the needle bearings.

Fortunately we have family coming to visit us in Columbia in December... If I am swift I can put an order in to Motor Works and get them to bring a new set of needle bearings with them. Are there any other parts (related to that issue) I should get them to bring along?

Was just reading another post on here where someone stripped the adjuster nut threads. Going to get a couple of them and stick them in my tool box for good measure too.

Thanks as always, Byron.

Just had an email from a mate back home asking if we wish we had taken a newer bike? If he has to ask I guess he will never understand.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:18 PM   #50
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,880
I doubt the bearings got damaged after 150 miles. There was probably enough oil flow to keep them lubed - you weren't red lining the bike or working it all that hard, right?
Old 11-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #51
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1 View Post
Fortunately we have family coming to visit us in Columbia in December... If I am swift I can put an order in to Motor Works and get them to bring a new set of needle bearings with them. Are there any other parts (related to that issue) I should get them to bring along?
I wouldn't worry about the needles they aren't easy to swap. Just align things as soon as you can.

As for Vern being a top bloke. Are we talking about the same bloke?....He is a top guy just done't let him know I said so. They threw away the mould after they'd made him

Old 11-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #52
Byron1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Definitely one of a kind! Ha ha ha!

Wirespokes and Rob.. Thanks for the advice abouts the bearings. No, no red lining, moderate cruising only. I swapped it around this morning. While there I had a Iittle feel to see what they were like but didnt take them out, They did feel a tiny little bit gritty but not so much that it will keep me up at night. Will probably get a new set sent over for good measure anyway... They are not cheap though... 30 quid for a set.

What is so difficult in swapping them over? Do I need a press to get them out?
Old 11-25-2012, 11:35 PM   #53
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1 View Post

Definitely one of a kind! Ha ha ha!

Wirespokes and Rob.. Thanks for the advice abouts the bearings. No, no red lining, moderate cruising only. I swapped it around this morning. While there I had a Iittle feel to see what they were like but didnt take them out, They did feel a tiny little bit gritty but not so much that it will keep me up at night. Will probably get a new set sent over for good measure anyway... They are not cheap though... 30 quid for a set.

What is so difficult in swapping them over? Do I need a press to get them out?
You can press them out using a small socket and a large vice. Have tube or a larger socket the other side to press them into. If the bearings have been starved of oil the spindle may be worn. If you try and inspect the spindle with your current bearings there's a risk of the needles falling out that's why it was suggested that you simply turn the spindle for the time being.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #54
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,630
Hey guys I know this thread has been idle a while but I have a question. I have a 1972 R75/5 that I needed to do some cylinder work to so I took everything apart and set it on the shelf in the shop while I did the work. Well it took a while to get things sorted and I put her back together last weekend pulling from the shelf as I remembered. The bike seems to run fine after a first quick fire up and does seem to be oiling but here is the issue. I have now found this thread and your bikes are different than mine. Where you reference a detent to be put up and out all I have is this...

On the bottom is this...

Like I said, it seems to be OK but now I don't want to ride it and tear it up!

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 02-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #55
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Looks good to me....some rocker arm info. Have you checked end play as there should be zero....did you replace the wave washers?
Old 02-12-2014, 10:55 AM   #56
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,630
Ok, this will sould really stupid...to what end play are you referring? and wave washers where? Guess I need t o check out your link. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #57
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
I'm late to read all of your postings and am glad it is coming together after all the problems. Regarding the split rims, you are proof that running tubes in snowflakes is the way to go!
Good Luck and thanks to all that have helped you out!
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #58
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
Ok, this will sould really stupid...to what end play are you referring? and wave washers where? Guess I need t o check out your link. Thanks!
The rocker arm play. If you grab the center of the rocker arm and try to move it up and down, there should be no play....meaning....you shouldn't be able to move it up and down. Here is another link.

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 02-13-2014 at 06:08 AM
Old 02-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #59
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 638
thanks for diggin this up

first time I have seen it nice adventure
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:42 AM   #60
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer