User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
peteFoulkes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Anyone know how long parts take to clear Colombian customs? `

I had a high speed fall a few days ago and have managed to smash up my bottom end on my DRZ 400. I'm currently in Pasto in southern Colombia and trying to source parts locally but it looks unlikely.

Does anyone have any experience with how much time it typically takes for parts to clear Colombian customs at all and also what the process will actually involve from this end? My spanish is still only at a basic level so if it involves complicated paper work then it could be a struggle.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Pete.

Find us on Facebook here:
www.facebook.com/toughmiles
peteFoulkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,723
If you are getting parts from the US or anywhere else I would use a mail forwarder that sends packages out of Miami down to Colombia. Each country has it's own best way to get stuff brought into the country kinda of under the radar at whole lot cheaper prices than FedEx and the like.

I used a freight forwarder out of Miami to get some stuff shipped down to Cali at a very reasonable rate. I would contact your friendly local expat and ask them what forwarder they use for the city, I think the name of the company I used was Giro Express. A pm to Mike of Casa Blanca in Cali, Colombia would help alot, he's got lots of experience down there.

If it where myself I would be trucking my bike up to Cali, Colombia to repair it at Jorges shop at Asturis, one of the best motoshops in all SA.

Goodluck and sorry to hear about the big getoff

John
Old 11-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,723
Here's Mike's Colombian motorbike website, he should be able to tell you which forwarder to use and any good ideas on sourcing Suzuki parts in country:
http://motolombia.com/
Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
peteFoulkes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Here's Mike's Colombian motorbike website, he should be able to tell you which forwarder to use and any good ideas on sourcing Suzuki parts in country:
http://motolombia.com/
Thanks for this John. I've now raised the question with Mike. Fingers crossed he has some good info for me.

I wish I raised this question before a local mechanic started ripping my engine apart in an attempt to heal it with a welding gun. If it wasn't in a thousand pieces I probably would have headed up to Cali to use your recommended workshop.
I think now my only option is to sit tight here and hope I can get parts sent here without too much of a delay.

Thanks again.

Pete.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
peteFoulkes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ecuador or Colombia?

I've just been told that Colombian customs can hold on to parts for up to 20 days. Does anyone know if it is quicker and more straight forward to get parts sent in to Ecuador?

Thanks.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 534
Check with Court Rand at Ecuador Freedom Riders for Ecuador customs info or parts sourcing there:

From the USA or Canada: +1 (603) 617-2499
From the rest of the world: 00-593-98-176-2340

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteFoulkes View Post
I've just been told that Colombian customs can hold on to parts for up to 20 days. Does anyone know if it is quicker and more straight forward to get parts sent in to Ecuador?

Thanks.

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteFoulkes View Post
I had a high speed fall a few days ago and have managed to smash up my bottom end on my DRZ 400. I'm currently in Pasto in southern Colombia and trying to source parts locally but it looks unlikely.

Pete.
Did you come over the hills to the east, over the pass from San Augustin side? I smashed a bike up pretty good there too. Destroyed the suspension of a suzuki Freewind.

I once had parts for a KTM sent from Texas to Medellin, 6 years ago. Used DHL. It took about 3 weeks. DHL did the paperwork. I had to pay a bunch for a duty tax.

You should be able to get Suzuki parts from Cali. A local bike shop in Pasto could order them from there. This maybe the quickest way.

Pasto has roast hamster. Try it while you're there. Also, the street vendors have really good sausage. Make the place your home for a week or 2. I'm sure you'll find a reason to like it. (You have no choice. )

Cheers.