Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #46
Brk4moose
Could save your life

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by McB View Post
Bake got one a few weeks ago. Sweet bike.
I did too. It's an awesome comutter. I haven't been off road yet but I am pretty impressed with its street handling capabilities . I had an 01 KLR for a while and I loved that bike but its amazing how smooth the bike is at all speeds and doesn't have the buzz the klr did at higher speeds.
Brk4moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #47
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
If you want to ride LONG distances, such as adventure touring, then you will need a 650. I prefer the KLR. But if you want something that is more for off road use, definitely go smaller.
Our opinions differ here. Long distances can be done on a bicycle. People travel across continents just fine on 250s. People also win offroad races on 650s and bigger.

MANY other factors come into play besides engine displacement when considering which dualsport for distance. I'd rather ride a smooth WR250R long distances than a paint-shaker LC4. I'd also rather ride a 20WHP WR250R with a wide gearing spread for day-in and day-out dualsporting than a 33WHP DR-Z400S with a close-ratio box. I'd also take on a modest bit of extra weight for gobs of low-end torque in sandy/rocky hills, based on how I ride and how easily I can pick up a 400lb bike after I dump it.

Quote:
I would recommend a DR400, but they are even taller than the 650s. If you are considering used, I would recommend an XT350 or DR350. They are big enough for some highway travel, and still small enough to be fun off road. My other option would be to lower a DR400. If you are really tall, a stock DR400 might work just fine. While taller, they are lighter and more powerful than the 650s.
The DR400 isn't made anymore, and a stock DR-Z400S isn't more powerful than most 650s. The DR650SE makes over 35WHP, and has more torque, with a wider powerband and wider gearspread. While the DR650SE is about 50lb heavier, it carries it's weight a bit lower. Where the big DR gets eclipsed is in the more-primitive suspension and the flexier frame. It can definitely be used as a dirtbike though, and both the DR-Z400 and DR650SE can be modded for more than 50WHP. Gearing is a concern with the DR-Z when riding both dirt and long-distance slab though.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #48
wvridgerider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
See what your local guys like. I ride a KTM525 RFS motor and it is a hoot. Frequent oil changes though. It all depends on what you consider "off road". Like everyone says the lighter the better. Also how easy is it to tag a full off road bike? Ask your locals.
wvridgerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #49
DC2wheels OP
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,150
Daughter, Jen (who started this off-road adventure talk) sat on the new CRF250 and it fit her well.

I do not anticipate long distance rides on whatever the two of us get. My dual purpose thinking is ease of use- not having to use the trailer or back of the pickup every time we want to go and ride some trails.

I also am not expecting a DP bike to work like a MX bike- we understand the limitations.

Jen and I have road motorcycles (Jen- Kaw ZX6R, me- BMW K100RS) for longer distances. We both have a lot of mountain bike riding and racing experience. So we are looking at getting to nearby trails and riding those at a pretty conservative pace.

She may be 25 but has always been very easy on equipment and I have some very strong self-preservation tendencies since I am self-employed.

No decisions yet but the field is narrowing....
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:25 AM   #50
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,265
Where in NH are you? Wife and I are buying a recreation/camping area in southern NH...
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:03 AM   #51
DC2wheels OP
Castle Anthrax troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Where in NH are you? Wife and I are buying a recreation/camping area in southern NH...
We are north. In the Franconia Notch area.

Where are you buying? (name of the town or camping area?)

We have a truck camper and are always looking for new places to stay.

PM me if you don't want to give details here.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:41 AM   #52
Rufjeep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
Right on! That's what I'm talkin' about!

Cost per mile proably 1/2 that of a WR250R and 1/5 to 1/10 cost of a KTM Fun per mile x total miles ridden in a given time 50:1 compared to a KTM perhaps?

My Honda starts, I ride it. 7000 miles since May, most on dirt! Dead reliable!
I guess it all comes down to how we define "fun per mile". If your bikes are delivering the experience you seek from a ride, that's awesome. Really, that's all you can ask for. But, for allot of us, these "cost per mile" comparisons are moot, because the more utilitarian bikes like your 230 just can't deliver the experience we are after. I couldn't ride like I want to ride on a bike like that, and have accepted that their is an additional cost of ownership that goes along with the additional performance.

That being said, I strongly suspect that if I attempted to ride a 230 in the same manner and at the same pace I am riding the KTM, I would find that the disparity in cost of ownership diminishes quickly. It's apples and oranges. The bikes are built with completely different target markets in mind, and comparing cost of ownership really doesn't work.
Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:10 AM   #53
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufjeep View Post
I guess it all comes down to how we define "fun per mile". If your bikes are delivering the experience you seek from a ride, that's awesome. Really, that's all you can ask for. But, for allot of us, these "cost per mile" comparisons are moot, because the more utilitarian bikes like your 230 just can't deliver the experience we are after. I couldn't ride like I want to ride on a bike like that, and have accepted that their is an additional cost of ownership that goes along with the additional performance.

That being said, I strongly suspect that if I attempted to ride a 230 in the same manner and at the same pace I am riding the KTM, I would find that the disparity in cost of ownership diminishes quickly. It's apples and oranges. The bikes are built with completely different target markets in mind, and comparing cost of ownership really doesn't work.
Yessir, thanks, good points. In open and fast, rough, riding the 230L is what many say it is- an undersuspended dog.My local area riding has more tight and narrow, especially the scenic areas that I like to ride.On tight and narrow I stand by my enthusiasm, and as well that great six-speed allows me to travel (mostly) dirt-road routes, thousands of miles this year, with luggage and a windshield.

Agree with what you are saying, but will point out not everyone will use the excellent suspension and high HP engine of a nice KTM etc to go ride.My experience with my last high-performance dirt bike, an IT490, was that it was fun back east when I was in the military, but home in the mountains on the narrow mountain trails I could never really use all the great power and suspension, and then I got the Reflex trials type motorcycle and went more places with more ease. Thus,my 230L is almost as good at tight and narrow as the Reflex but will comfortably go on highway up to 65 MPH.

I would argue, as Honda literature hints, the 230L is not designed just for short people or your wife/ daughter/ gf. The 230L has good geometry and specs for precise trail riding, works well for my large carcass, just fine side-by-side with the well-liked motorcycles in the mountain trails...And it is so easy to ride, one could argue it is a safer ride.

Enjoy your excellent motorcycle, good discussion

ADVNCW screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 12:29 PM
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #54
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,689
Hey John consider a 250 or 300 KTM 2-stroke for Jen. She's got long legs like you, and the Honda has a small riding position, cramped like a sport bike. Not to mention the suspension and brakes are shit.

Word to everyone....put that ADVNCW on ignore. He's relentless, and fucking crazy to boot. After I schooled him in another thread, he sent me 2, page-long hate PMs with really twisted, evil shit and insults. (over a motorcycle???)

Save yourself the aggravation and put him on ignore.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:35 AM   #55
DC2wheels OP
Castle Anthrax troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
Hey John consider a 250 or 300 KTM 2-stroke for Jen. She's got long legs like you, and the Honda has a small riding position, cramped like a sport bike. Not to mention the suspension and brakes are shit.
Dave- unless I'm reading their website wrong, none of the KTMs on their website have seat heights less than 37"- Jen isn't THAT tall

She is comfortable to about 34" spec- that sinks a bit when she straddles and can get the front of her feet on the ground.

The second part of your post? DONE

Old 11-06-2012, 04:47 AM   #56
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,824
Is Jen single? A 25yr old girl that can handle a zx6r sounds just about perfect(I'm 27). Oh and I'd vote wr250r, although my buddies 450exc is a lot of fun.
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #57
DC2wheels OP
Castle Anthrax troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm204 View Post
Is Jen single? A 25yr old girl that can handle a zx6r sounds just about perfect(I'm 27). Oh and I'd vote wr250r, although my buddies 450exc is a lot of fun.
Well, not married but has a S.O. a nice guy and he rides an R6.

2 years ago. Hey that's OTG behind Jen.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #58
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
Well, not married but has a S.O. a nice guy and he rides an R6.

2 years ago. Hey that's OTG behind Jen.

John do NOT post pictures of your beautiful daughter for these savages!
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #59
DC2wheels OP
Castle Anthrax troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
John do NOT post pictures of your beautiful daughter for these savages!
She can take care of herself believe me.

2010 track day on her old 250R

The evening conversation about dual purpose bikes has been entertaining.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #60
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,215
For me, I can get just as much of a thrill pushing a small crappy bike to its limits as I could on a much better faster bike, just the speeds I fall at are different (much lower for the small crappy bikes).

If you are competing with others, I guess you need a good bike, otherwise its not as much fun.

Lots of choices out there for sure.
Why not just get something you can get a great deal on and fits your size?
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote