Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #16
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post

Now, wouldn't it be nice if Gaston and Bananaman could quit thrashing each other? Neither looks the least bit grown up from where I sit.

Mark
I swear, I've tried several times to leave the prick alone. I've tried diplomacy. What's it gotten? Nothing. He's a vendor and I still don't understand why he's allowed to promote himself outside of Vendors. I don't know any other non-rider vendors who get away with this.
bananaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #17
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
What you're saying is "Nothing I do has the desired effect," which I'd agree with wholeheartedly. So here's your choice: keep on doing what you're doing, despite the fact you've proven it ineffective....or do something different.

On the other hand, if what you really want is to do a convincing imitation of a petulant child, keep doing what you're doing.

Note: I do not speak as a supporter of Gaston or his posts. But neither you nor I get to control that part--we only get to control our own participation.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #18
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,473
The "problems" in Argentina aren't with dollars but with the Argentine peso. No one wants them.
You also have to be very careful about counterfeit banknotes. I got a bad 100 peso note out of an ATM recently.
And the current scam from the Buenos Aires taxi drivers is they refuse to take the local currency hoping to get some USD from you. You have to tell them to shut the fuck up and take their own damn money.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #19
Urbandrag
KLiM Beotch!

Oddometer: 141
If want to spend dollars down here... Be sure to stop by my mother-in-law's homemade pizza shop!
Old 11-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #20
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
What you're saying is "Nothing I do has the desired effect," which I'd agree with wholeheartedly. So here's your choice: keep on doing what you're doing, despite the fact you've proven it ineffective....or do something different.

On the other hand, if what you really want is to do a convincing imitation of a petulant child, keep doing what you're doing.

Note: I do not speak as a supporter of Gaston or his posts. But neither you nor I get to control that part--we only get to control our own participation.

Mark
Petulant Child?

STFU. Your whining is as loud as mine. I bitch about Gaston, and then you bitch about me. Boo hoo.

Tons of us fly to LA and SA on commercial airlines. If Gaston (a non-rider) is continued to allow to spam the forums, then reps from American Airlines, Girag, COPA, United, etc. might as well start spamming.

Gaston's "informative" threads are straight out of the Guerilla Marketing manuals. Every one of his threads are designed to direct traffic to his shipping company.

I don't spend effort on advrider anymore. It's just not keeping up with the mediums in terms of linking me with riders who have info I care about. I try to stay current with the Oilheads forum, but not so much the Riding stuff, and especially not my ex-favorite, the Latin America forum.
bananaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #21
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,494
We will be down there in a few months time unless we get stuck enjoying ourselves too much on the way.

We will wing it and see, I will be happy to give "the real oil" when we get there as a Kiwi traveling from top to bottom, there are also around six other travelers hitting it with a similar timetable to ours.

Things may have changed by the sounds of it, time will tell.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #22
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
Tourists in Argentina can exchange their dollars with no problem but they have a limit. They are allowed to exchange 500 dollars (half of a argentinian salary, approximately)

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #23
LoTz
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Pesos for $$ Ar

Gaston
great info, I'm going to BA in a couple months. Just wondering, how can you be sure that you're getting real money when you exchange with cashing stores or private citizens. I've been warned that a lot of people try to give you counterfeit money? Is that any issue ?

LoTz
LoTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:55 AM   #24
robram
Trilheiro

Oddometer: 31
Gaston,

You always have great news to us about South America.

I live here, and I didnīt know about this tip, changing in "mercado negro".

Thanks a lot, and donīt worry, be happy.

Best regards from Brazil

Robram
robram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #25
GastonUSAChile OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by robram View Post
Gaston,

You always have great news to us about South America.

I live here, and I didnīt know about this tip, changing in "mercado negro".

Thanks a lot, and donīt worry, be happy.

Best regards from Brazil

Robram
Robram,

The idea is having common sense. Always approach decent people , store managers and offer them to buy Arg. pesos. Know in advance the black rate of the day. Then you change your dollars.
Liing an economic crisis was a common thing in LatAm. for years and decades when a country is living an strong inflation and local currency depreciation. It is not new and cyclic. However in the latest years most of the L.A. are booming , those that have been organized and looking for truly progress.
There is no drama over it. Getting fake money almost never happens because it is a temporary fact. If you ask me those ex communist eastern European countries, well , that was different because they lived for decades on the edge of economic crisis and people was already prepared to screw you.

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #26
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
I saw counterfeit money in Argentine before the current crisis, and I got some myself from a bank ATM. It's not uncommon, no matter what Gaston says. You need to be careful wherever you're getting your money.

I'm pretty comfortable using black markets. Sometimes they're the only practical way of dealing with fixed currency rates, like in Venezuela currently and many places in the old days (tm). If you're not comfortable, you've always got the option of taking the hit by changing legally: just expect the usual shenanigans, including a certain proportion of fake bills.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #27
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,700
I got a $100 Arg Peso counterfeit bill at one of the ATMs near Dakar Motos as well. I returned to the bank the next day and with some persistence got them to exchange it for a real one. I got the impression this is not something they are in the practice of doing.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #28
luciosiq
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
No big deal.
Not a big issue.
Common Sense as usual.
I wouldn't take several thousand dollars in cash with me to another country - not safe at all walking around carrying big money with you.
As we know, it is a good ideal to take some cash (it can be USD to be exchange into Pesos) to be used at places where credit cards are not accepted.
Plus a couple of Credit Cards (Visa and Mastercard).
Thats all.
The US Dollar Control in place by the Argentinian Government at the moment should not affect the way we handle money while travelling abroad.
I have several friends travelling in and out of Argentina every week. And they just follow these simple rules.
Take care.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #29
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,473
I recently used the black market in downtown Mendoza to change the wad of Chilean money I had. Got a really good rate. The transaction was smooth and done in an office.(so not too many eyes watching what you're doing)
No attempt to slip in any counterfeit bills.(I doubt they'd want to muck up their biz with bad money.

Currently they are offering a 27% bump for USD.

The tip for spotting a counterfeit banknote is the feel of the paper, a real bank note has a linen content and has some texture, the fakes are smooth to the touch.

The other useful tip regarding thieves is one I learned up in Alaska; if you see the same bear twice, he is hunting you! Also "bear" in mind these scumbags work in teams of two or more and often ride motorbikes.
Keep you eyes open and your heads down amigos!
Iron Butt #35784

bush pilot screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 12:45 PM
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #30
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Another problem is if your flying out, they wont let you change pesos back into dollars unless you have a receipt showing you changed dollars into pesos. I had a couple of good drinks and a great meal before I got on the flight home.
I had such a good time in Argentina, I did not mind getting a little ripped off at the end. Dave