User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
Speedo66 OP
Transient

Oddometer: 6,606
Generator Weather Protection Cover?

I don't have an enclosed area next to my house where I can protect a generator from the weather, so I figure I've got to build something. Everything I've read says they should be protected from wet weather.

I'm wondering if a simply plywood shell, while not particularly aestetically pleasing, would be sufficient? A few holes at the sides near top and bottom to allow plugs through and allow it to breath?

Anybody have a photo or two of ones they've made? Any hints on how to keep the generator dry, operational, and quieter? Any caveats to watch out for?

Thanks

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
DaveStockwell
Rock Fodder

Oddometer: 205
Couple of hints:
  • Use Marine grade plywood to stand up to the weather.
  • line the inside with grey egg crate foam to muffle the noise.
  • Position the vent holes to line up with the air intake and exhaust. (or better yet, plumb the air to the holes.)
  • Make sure the exhaust is aimed away from the house and any places air can enter your house. trust me on this one, leaned the hard way when my TV room started to smell like the race pits at a motocross.
  • Make sure you have easy enough access to fill the fuel.
  • A couple old school drawer pull handles on the sides go a long way to making access easier especially when it's raining and windy outside.

Hope this help!
Old 11-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,271
Marine plywood is stronger and nicer looking than regular exterior ply, but will not hold up any better in the long run.

It also costs a heck of a lot more, 3/8 marine is about $100 vs 3/8" birch which is $20

Personally, I would build a frame out of 2X2 or 2X4 stock and cover it with sheet metal from a roofing panel, it will be cheaper, lighter, and fireproof as well. You might also be able to pick something that can match the siding on your house.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,879
Plywood is so expensive

I would consider getting a plastic dog house and put the generator in there.

You can easily cut holes.

A local muffler shop can make you a exhaust extension to connect to some flex pipe that is under $10 on ebay to absorb the vibrations and you will be good there.

You also want to get some kind of anchor so your generator is not stolen. My neighbor lost his after a bad ice storm, I still have mine, maybe I was lucky or maybe the 3/8 log chain wrapped around mine made his an easier target.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,385
I'm a fabricator first, carpenter under duress. For 20 years I've used the same paice of .060" aluminum, 3' x 4', mounted with wing nuts and threaded rubber isolators on the generators frame. Works the balls. Dry in a downpour, light, easy to store flat against the wall.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,879
Fire proof and well well well ventilated (heat and CO) is super critical.......................not too close to the house or any thing else that is flammable. Not a great idea.... Any extra exhaust piping is a fire potential if not done correctly and must be durable because you won't be watching when the shit hits.

Generators put out a lot of CO. LOW Noise buy A Honda or Yamaha............Insulation after the fact causes heat build up.

showkey screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 05:59 PM
showkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,092
I've built a few such units for customers; essentially a box with a removable top(roof) for fueling, one side is a door to access the pull start, a small door for the exhaust, another side hinged to install or remove the unit, cord(s) routed out the bottom, on pressure treated skids.

I don't agree with it, but the generators are housed in these year round behind a shrub,etc.

some 2x4's, cdx plywood, siding of choice, and a bit of roofing material-shingles,epdm,etc.

Give yourself a bit of room beyond the actual dimensions of the generator.

One was large enough to allow for storage of gasoline & spare extensions cords as well.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,879
I had an adapter from the 1 inch pipe out of the muffler made, to a 1 inch plumbing union and welded on. From the union to 1 1/2 id flex, to 1 3/4 tail pipe, a 10 foot piece of aluminumized tail pipe.. Water dripped out the end of it, very little vapor visible in the winter. The gen is in my garage, the pipe is out the door to the world. I have 2 different brands of CO detectors in the house. It works well for me, if an Ice storm outage the extra heat in the garage is welcome if summer then I put a fan in the window.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,879
I know safety is for sissies but generators and CO , heat and stray electrics are the real deal:

http://www.powerequipmentdirect.com/...m_medium=email

After the snow storm that ravaged Connecticut in November 2011, unintentional CO poisoning accounted for 18% of all storm-related deaths.
showkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:18 AM   #10
Speedo66 OP
Transient

Oddometer: 6,606
Thanks to all for the great tips and safety info.

One thing I just read while doing research is they don't recommend running it on a wooden deck, say sparks could cause a fire.

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote