Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
biosci OP
Tumbleweed54473

Oddometer: 166
WD 40 info

What is the main ingredient of WD-40?
Before you read to the end, does anybody know what the main ingredient is in WD-40?

I had a neighbor who knew about WD-40.I had bought a new pickup. I got up very early one Sunday morning and saw thatsomeone had spray painted red all around the sides of this beige truck (forsome unknown reason). I went over, woke him up, and told him the bad news.He was very upset and was trying to figure out what to do. "Probably nothinguntil Monday morning, since nothing was open." Another neighbor came out andtold him to get his WD-40 and clean it off. It removed the unwanted paintbeautifully and did not harm his paint job that was on the truck. Im impressed! WD-40 'Water Displacement #40'. The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San DiegoRocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a'water displacement' compound. They were successful with the fortiethformulation, thus WD-40. The Convair Company bought it in bulk to protecttheir atlas missile parts. Ken East (one of the original founders) saysthere is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you... When you read the 'shower door' part, try it. It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It's amiracle! Then try it on your stovetop ... Viola! It's now shinier than its ever been. You'll be amazed.
WD-40 uses:

1. Protects silver from tarnishing. 2. Removes road tar and grime from cars. 3. Cleans and lubricates guitar strings. 4. Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making them slippery. 5. Keeps flies off cows. 6. Restores and cleans chalkboards. 7. Removes lipstick stains. 8. Loosens stubborn zippers. 9. Untangles jewelry chains. 10. Removes stains from stainless steel sinks. 11. Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill. 12. Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing. 13. Removes tomato stains from clothing. 14. Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots. 15. Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors. 16. Keeps scissors working smoothly. 17. Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes. 18. It removes black scuffmarks from the kitchen floor! Use WD-40 for thosenasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem to harm the finishand you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember toopen some windows if you have a lot of marks. 19. Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40! 20. Gives a children's playground gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.21. Lubricates gearshift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers... 22. Rids kids' rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises. 23. Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open. 24. Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close. 25. Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers. 26. Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles. 27. Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans. 28. Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling. 29. Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly. 30. Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools. 31. Removes splattered grease on stove. 32. Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
33. Lubricates prosthetic limbs. 34. Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell). 35. Removes all traces of duct tape. 36. Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain. 37. Florida's favorite use is 'cleans and removes love bugs from grillsand bumpers.' 38. The favorite use in the state of New York , WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements. 39. WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a little on live bait or lures and you willbe catching the big one in no time. Also, it's a lot cheaper than thechemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mindthough, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowedin some states. 40. Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately andstops the itch. 41. WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark andwipe with a clean rag. 42. Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed anddried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spotswith WD-40 and rewash. Presto! The lipstick is gone! 43. If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start. 44. Remove the glue under labels on jars.
P.S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
biosci OP
Tumbleweed54473

Oddometer: 166

What is the main ingredient of WD-40?
Before you read to the end, does anybody know what the main ingredient is in WD-40?

I had a neighbor who knew about WD-40.I had bought a new pickup. I got up very early one Sunday morning and saw thatsomeone had spray painted red all around the sides of this beige truck (forsome unknown reason). I went over, woke him up, and told him the bad news.He was very upset and was trying to figure out what to do. "Probably nothinguntil Monday morning, since nothing was open." Another neighbor came out andtold him to get his WD-40 and clean it off. It removed the unwanted paintbeautifully and did not harm his paint job that was on the truck. Im impressed! WD-40 'Water Displacement #40'. The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San DiegoRocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a'water displacement' compound. They were successful with the fortiethformulation, thus WD-40. The Convair Company bought it in bulk to protecttheir atlas missile parts. Ken East (one of the original founders) saysthere is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you... When you read the 'shower door' part, try it. It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It's amiracle! Then try it on your stovetop ... Viola! It's now shinier than its ever been. You'll be amazed.
WD-40 uses:

1. Protects silver from tarnishing. 2. Removes road tar and grime from cars. 3. Cleans and lubricates guitar strings. 4. Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making them slippery. 5. Keeps flies off cows. 6. Restores and cleans chalkboards. 7. Removes lipstick stains. 8. Loosens stubborn zippers. 9. Untangles jewelry chains. 10. Removes stains from stainless steel sinks. 11. Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill. 12. Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing. 13. Removes tomato stains from clothing. 14. Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots. 15. Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors. 16. Keeps scissors working smoothly. 17. Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes. 18. It removes black scuffmarks from the kitchen floor! Use WD-40 for thosenasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem to harm the finishand you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember toopen some windows if you have a lot of marks. 19. Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40! 20. Gives a children's playground gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.21. Lubricates gearshift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers... 22. Rids kids' rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises. 23. Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open. 24. Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close. 25. Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers. 26. Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles. 27. Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans. 28. Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling. 29. Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly. 30. Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools. 31. Removes splattered grease on stove. 32. Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
33. Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
34. Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell). 35. Removes all traces of duct tape. 36. Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain. 37. Florida's favorite use is 'cleans and removes love bugs from grillsand bumpers.' 38. The favorite use in the state of New York , WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements. 39. WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a little on live bait or lures and you willbe catching the big one in no time. Also, it's a lot cheaper than thechemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mindthough, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowedin some states. 40. Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately andstops the itch. 41. WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark andwipe with a clean rag. 42. Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed anddried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spotswith WD-40 and rewash. Presto! The lipstick is gone! 43. If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start. 44. Remove the glue under labels on jars.
P.S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
eric123
Gott Mit Uns

Oddometer: 1,462
Good read, but there is no fish oil in it...
eric123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
miguelitro
tierra de boobies

Oddometer: 738
great story!
http://www.wd40.com/about-us/myths-legends-fun-facts/
Mike
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
miguelitro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
aftCG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
I've heard debates on the ingredients. Some say it's deoderized kerosene.

One thing for sure, it does remove road tar. Many years ago I had a nice Nissan truck and had to drive about 20 miles on a freshly (and I mean FRESHLY) oiled dirt road. Like an idiot I left it for a day or so and then went to wash it off, thinking Dawn dish soap would be the bees knees. Hell no.

After an hour I thought about WD-40. Spritz and wipe off.
aftCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,152
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 8,827
Fish oil? Are you high?

MSDS is your friend...

Aliphatic Hydrocarbon
64742-47-8
45-50
Petroleum Base Oil
64742-58-1
64742-53-6
64742-56-9
64742-65-0

<25
LVP Aliphatic Hydrocarbon
64742-47-8
12-18
Carbon Dioxide
124-38-9
2-3
Non-Hazardous Ingredients
Mixture
<10
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,075
http://www.wired.com/science/discove...st_whatsinside

Has anyone else noticed that the cans stop spraying in moderately cold temperatures now that they switched to CO2 for a propellant?
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 6,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post

Has anyone else noticed that the cans stop spraying in moderately cold temperatures now that they switched to CO2 for a propellant?
Or that the stupid, foldable straw/spray nozzle sucks major ass?

Guess I just need to buy it in bulk and use a squeeze sprayer.
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #10
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

I picked up some of the Walmart "Supertech" WD40 knockoff stuff the other day. The word on the Internet is that it's just as good. We'll see...
Old 11-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #11
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,855
It's second only to ether as a potato gun propellant.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post
Not anymore. Since they switched to CO2 propellant, it's not nearly as flammable.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #13
Desert Scoundrel
Banned

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post

And ether is second to oxygen and acetylene

Fyi: PVC makes a great potato pipe bomb!
Desert Scoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #14
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post

Yes, even in the 40's it doesn't have much force.

And I guess that the CO2 means that it won't work as starting fluid anymore.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:57 AM   #15
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,472
Kerosene, not fish oil. Geez, I'd drink it if it was fish oil

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote