Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
driftinglobo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Optimal / required fuel range

Hi There,
I m proud owner of Big Bird ( a yellow new ish stock DR650 ) the plan is to set it up for mostly day trips,but spend money on petrol instead on unnecessary flakes. As I m new to adventure riding I m looking for input as how many km one can expect between fuel stops in NZ. I know it depend on where and how one rides so all input is appreciated regardless of make of bike or location.
Thanks
driftinglobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftinglobo View Post
Hi There,
I m proud owner of Big Bird ( a yellow new ish stock DR650 ) the plan is to set it up for mostly day trips,but spend money on petrol instead on unnecessary flakes. As I m new to adventure riding I m looking for input as how many km one can expect between fuel stops in NZ. I know it depend on where and how one rides so all input is appreciated regardless of make of bike or location.
Thanks
Get one of the new acerbis tanks (20l) or an IMS tank (19l) That will give you a range of around 350km which is enough for NZ. The stock tank is to small unless you carry a spare 5 litre can and that is just a PITA. I have a Safari on mine and that is too big really but it was brought for the TAT.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:56 AM   #3
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
IMS seems popular. I like mine. 300km is plenty between pie, piss, and petrol stop. Your arse won't handle more than that anyway, particularly with the stock seat.

bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 3,009
Hi and welcome to ADVrider.

Questions I would ask are: where about's are you (you might like to fill in your profile) and what sort of riding do you want/plan to do?

A DR has a pretty reliable 200k until reserve, plus 60k's on reserve. In my opinion: If you're sticking to the main roads a stock tank is ok 90% of the time.

But for example if you wanted to head around the east cape on a weekend that's 326 k's and fuel can be patchy if you miss a station or they've run out. An IMS tank will see you all the way around without any problems.

For some of the longer cross country adv riders like clints MMM ride a stock DR tank is a bit on the small side. You can carry a small back-up tank if you need an extra few k's but for piece of mind it's nice to have the extra range.

IMO: The 32 Litre safari tanks are overkill for NZ, and they're bloody cumbersome.
kiwipeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #5
driftinglobo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipeet View Post
Hi and welcome to ADVrider.

Questions I would ask are: where about's are you (you might like to fill in your profile) and what sort of riding do you want/plan to do?

A DR has a pretty reliable 200k until reserve, plus 60k's on reserve. In my opinion: If you're sticking to the main roads a stock tank is ok 90% of the time.

But for example if you wanted to head around the east cape on a weekend that's 326 k's and fuel can be patchy if you miss a station or they've run out. An IMS tank will see you all the way around without any problems.

For some of the longer cross country adv riders like clints MMM ride a stock DR tank is a bit on the small side. You can carry a small back-up tank if you need an extra few k's but for piece of mind it's nice to have the extra range.

IMO: The 32 Litre safari tanks are overkill for NZ, and they're bloody cumbersome.

Hi
Thanks for the welcome! and for the replies.
I m kind of new to forums and (hate computers with a passion) and this is why my profile not well filed out. I will get to it soon ish.
I been commuting on Big Bird for about a year. and found I get very constantly 160 km until reserve. have not run the tank dry yet to find out reserve. Done a few bigger rides also ( only on eval SHs )like the TT2000. and fuel consumption was about the same.
The reason I started this tread as I m staring to set her up for dirt. nothing serious at the beginning but keep adding as needed. (well as $$$$$ allows ). I have been lurking in DR forums and seems a lot of conversions to safari tanks.
which is an extra 19 lt !! I was really interested if this is no a bit of overkill for the South Island?
or 18 tl which will give me about 250 km + reserve be enough? And based on the replies it be ok.
Thanks for inputs so far!
driftinglobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,394
Yep, 18-20L is about right for NZ on a DR.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,753
I personally think you need at least a good 300k range.

My klr has a 300k to empty range and I start thinking about filling up at 200-230km if I come across a gas station unless I know for a fact that there is another one on my intended route comfortably within my range.

Its not how far you can go on a tank of gas but how far you can go before your concern over where you next need to fill up starts to influence your rides route.

I hate not being able to suddenly decide to go a different route because I'm already 200k into my range and I don't know exactly how many k's the new route is.

more range is gooder unless the petrol weight compromises handling
Old 11-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post

My klr has a 300k to empty range and I start thinking about filling up at 200-230km if I come across a gas station unless I know for a fact that there is another one on my intended route comfortably within my range.

Its not how far you can go on a tank of gas but how far you can go before your concern over where you next need to fill up starts to influence your rides route.

I hate not being able to suddenly decide to go a different route because I'm already 200k into my range and I don't know exactly how many k's the new route is.

+ lots.

I consider 300km a minimum also.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 951
What the old fella said is spot on.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:31 AM   #10
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post

this is it..i can go over 500k on a tank.I dont need to but if i have already done 200 ks,and come to an intersection which suggests it is 100 k to a place,i know i can go there and come back.i dont have to worry about where the gas stations are.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:40 AM   #11
guzzitony
Guzton

Oddometer: 161
as above

+1.

nothing worst than backtracking to Oturehua in the snow!

with my 40l tank and Amals, hell i can get like 450km.

SHEDSAM- objects given/collected and stored in a
shed/mancave. esp car/bike parts.
guzzitony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:10 AM   #12
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
18L will get you 320-360km to reserve with the stock carb.
With a pumper, it changes to 320-360km to reserve.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:57 AM   #13
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
With a pumper, it changes to 320-360km to reserve.
Best I've done with my FCR so far is 318.7km off 17.8litres. I'm thinking I might drop the needle 1 slot and see what happens.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:10 AM   #14
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
With a pumper, it changes to 320-360km to reserve and a lot more fun.
Fixed, silly!
The Stable
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #15
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
Best I've done with my FCR so far is 318.7km off 17.8litres. I'm thinking I might drop the needle 1 slot and see what happens.
I've got to drop the main jet size and the needle as it's still running mxrob's settings and I've got that modded stock pipe on.

Best I've seen is 360 to reserve...