Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 551
Back in the early 80's I ran a Z650 up to 120K miles doing dispatch work in the UK. It had 47K on it when I bought it and I put the rest on. A buddy had a Z550, a shaft drive touring version that he ran to 182K miles without major engine issues doing the same type of work.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #17
FinestYearK
Rain, rain, go away

Oddometer: 40
This is not quite a UJM, but is a testament to the rock-solid reliability of old Hondas. I conservatively figure 85k miles when I sold it. Doubt the valves had ever been checked before I did it - the smallest feeler gauges had a hard time fitting under the valves.

1984 Suzuki GS550es - Leaving the nest...
Cage: Land Rover Discovery I - the last "real" Land Rover
FinestYearK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #18
NC-Okie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,799
My primary rider is an 1987 Honda Magna (700cc) with 72k miles on it and just replaced the original clutch.

I also have an 1985 V65 Magna with 42K on it.

Okie
NC-Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #19
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBOB View Post
Oh the Suzuki GS. They do love to spin. The dual overhead engines on those bikes feel like a stretchy rubber band when u run'em.
I had an 81 gs450, and it was so fun, suspension was truly pathetic. Loved it, charging system was crap though...
GS suspension and charging are no problemo with a few well-chosen upgrades -- Sonic springs up front, perhaps a Tarozzi fork brace, and new shocks out back. Suzuki got the geometry right, but installed crappy suspension bits that wouldn't even hold the bike up, never mind a rider over 90 pounds. Same thing Suzuki and every Japanese manufacturer is still doing to this very day, in fact.

Likewise, GS charging is also no problem if you catch the core problem (crappy undersized, unsealed connectors) before things go south. My original stator went 102,000 miles.

And again, 30-40 years down the line, Suzuki is still building their bikes with undersized electrical connectors open to the weather -- every V-Strom rider eventually wonders why their headlights suddenly stopped working... The answer, of course, is that some things never change. Suzuki builds fantastic bikes at the core, but there are peripheral issues one must address.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #20
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,545
My neighbor has an 81 or so Suzuki gs1100E with over 100,000 miles on it. He told me he has had charging issues if the battery is low, and just put on a nw rear wheel bearing.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:12 AM   #21
PBOB OP
MOTO NUT

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
GS suspension and charging are no problemo with a few well-chosen upgrades -- Sonic springs up front, perhaps a Tarozzi fork brace, and new shocks out back. Suzuki got the geometry right, but installed crappy suspension bits that wouldn't even hold the bike up, never mind a rider over 90 pounds. Same thing Suzuki and every Japanese manufacturer is still doing to this very day, in fact.

Likewise, GS charging is also no problem if you catch the core problem (crappy undersized, unsealed connectors) before things go south. My original stator went 102,000 miles.

And again, 30-40 years down the line, Suzuki is still building their bikes with undersized electrical connectors open to the weather -- every V-Strom rider eventually wonders why their headlights suddenly stopped working... The answer, of course, is that some things never change. Suzuki builds fantastic bikes at the core, but there are peripheral issues one must address.
When my charging system went bad. Basically it never wanted to keep battery fully charged. I bought an Electrosport stator and rectifier. Fixed it. Charged perfect.
If I can ever figure out how to post pic's on here since they changed it I will. It's somewhere in Richmond being rode I'm sure still...
1995 Honda XR650L (in Shasta white and Uranus violet of course)
The list is long, I'll stop there....
PBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #22
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268

Only 24k on this 1982 F but I've only owned it 6 years

Bought it with like 11K,it's needed tires only and a valve check.Probably keep this one until I die.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #23
genespleen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
61K on my '85 CB650sc Nighthawk. Runs like a top!

genespleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #24
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,694
Almost 80,000 miles on my 79 Suzuki GS1000S. Runs great, you could ride it across the country right now. Been into the bottom end once, and the top end twice, but not because it really needed it, especially the bottom. Bikes always need big bore kits, etc.

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #25
PBOB OP
MOTO NUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by genespleen View Post
61K on my '85 CB650sc Nighthawk. Runs like a top!

Nice!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #26
newride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Great thread!

My moto blog: http://jbloggie1.blogspot.com/
newride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #27
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,074
OK, a triple, but still air cooled. '78 Yamaha XS750. Sold it with 78,000 miles on it. Engine was fine, negligible oil use. Toured on it quite a bit in temps well over 100f, and used as a urban bike. A coil went went bad, but it had three, so it limped home - that was it for reliability issues. The rest of the bike was very tired by 78k, seat, suspension, etc. It became a torture rack so instead of updating those I sold it to some people who came down from the hills who wanted to use the engine for a log splitter contraption. I have no idea how that worked out.

Also seen, curiously another Yamaha, a Seca II that piled on over 200,000 miles in a few years as a messenger bike. It looked it.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #28
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,102
I had 120,000 on my 1977 GS 550 sometime in the early to mid eighties. Whipped the crap out of it daily as all of my friends had bigger faster bikes. Took it apart to fix leaks, the engine still had great compression, and had little wear showing anywhere.

New rings and gaskets and slap it back together, rode it a while then sold it to my brother who rode it for years, I don't know how many miles, but mostly his only transportation so it was quite a few. We painted it, a unique homemade blue stripe paint job. He sold it to another guy, didn't mention the odometer had been around once.

Ten or so years later, my brother and I were at some family reunion or something,standing outside, there goes the old 550 with it's unique blue stripe job going down the road just fine. We just looked at each other and laughed.

I have a 1983 GS 1100G now with 90,000 miles, it's going just fine, no leaks, no funny noises, no oil burning or anything.

It should outlast the 550 I would think.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #29
PBOB OP
MOTO NUT

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
I had 120,000 on my 1977 GS 550 sometime in the early to mid eighties. Whipped the crap out of it daily as all of my friends had bigger faster bikes. Took it apart to fix leaks, the engine still had great compression, and had little wear showing anywhere.

New rings and gaskets and slap it back together, rode it a while then sold it to my brother who rode it for years, I don't know how many miles, but mostly his only transportation so it was quite a few. We painted it, a unique homemade blue stripe paint job. He sold it to another guy, didn't mention the odometer had been around once.

Ten or so years later, my brother and I were at some family reunion or something,standing outside, there goes the old 550 with it's unique blue stripe job going down the road just fine. We just looked at each other and laughed.

I have a 1983 GS 1100G now with 90,000 miles, it's going just fine, no leaks, no funny noises, no oil burning or anything.

It should outlast the 550 I would think.

Awesome! Can we see some old pics of it?!
Old 11-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #30
ArtCuisin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
The examples in this thread are shocking me. I got into bikes
in 1973 and it seemed that every air-cooled Japanese twin and
four with more than about 15K miles had oil seepage around
the head gasket. I figured that if the metal and gaskets couldn't
keep the oil in, they would also let the important stuff change size
over time as well, that they wouldn't see mileage over 50K without
rings and valve jobs. I guess I figured wrong.

Me, I never kept any of my air-cooled multi-cylinder bikes past 20K miles.
Singles, yes.

Good thread.
ArtCuisin is offline   Reply With Quote