Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #16
Bronco3738
Mike

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloc View Post
I did go to the trouble of balancing my front and rear 908RRs... and the front is still trying to murder me. (headshake on hard throttle or above ~75mph)

Maybe I should pull the weight off?
Give them a little time to break in. They will calm down after a few hundred miles. It's a known issue, well documented on this sight.

Honeymoon Ride Report

Crazy Europeans Tour Utah
Bronco3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #17
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
I have the litelock? Motion Pro rimlocks.

I wrapped 1/4" rod lead weight (fishing) as mentioned above. Cept I wrapped it just once around the nipple at the rim. Then wove it around one more nipple then once around the last nipple. Then I melted the ends together with a red hot implement (while holding it all snug with pliers)

Tip, roll the lead stick weight out on a flat surface first. Then roll something over it to make it a little flat. It will hang onto the square nipple easier.

I have a HF balancer. The rod was bent but it didn't affect it's accuracy enough to matter.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #18
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 871
I'm one to let stuff run her till she blows on my bike but when it comes to wheels, I tend to go all bmw on them. When I swap rubber I always clean the crap out of them, oil the nipples, throw them in the truing stand and measure them with a dial caliper... adjust and torque up if necessary, apply a coat of wax followed by a thick coat of spray teflon mold release. I mean, even if I'm throwing on knobs that I know I'm going to burn through I just can't help but balance them too. Helps too that I have a dynamic balancer... I OCD it to the gram!
Sporting Wood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #19
640Pilot OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
More great input....I'm thinking the second rim lock might be a good idea...at least until a side of the road tyre change anyways....but still makes sense..Cheers
So much dirt...so little time...
640Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #20
Central Cali Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by folknride View Post
I recently put RideOn in all my tires, both 50/50 and dirt - works great. Really smoothed out the road vibe on my 690, the 990 is smooth as silk, and I get some puncture/blowout protection to boot.
(But if you never ride at speed on slab, why bother)

Interesting Stuff. Anyone else have experience.. Not that I don't trust you FOLKNRIDE
2006 Suzuki SV1000S for wifey Sold !
1997 KLR650 For sale SOLD !!
Central Cali Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #21
veltex
powerball win needed

Oddometer: 29
balancing at home?

Just a couple thoughts on balancing your own self, can anyone accurately measure the inside diameter of a front and rear wheel bearing for the 990 and post here please? With that said, would a steel round bar in above diameters work for balancing at home? the bearings on the wheel would act as, um, bearings, I think. Also makes me wonder if pushing off some of the brake fluid pressure from the caliper or removing the brake pads (also chain for rear), to let the wheel spin freely, cant they be balanced right on the bike providing the wheel bearings are in good shape?
veltex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #22
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
The bearings on the bike have to much drag to really let you do a good job balancing
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #23
bloc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
crofrog is absolutely correct. It'd take a significant amount of imbalance to get the wheel to move when using its regular bearings.

You can get a decent motorcycle wheel/tire balancing setup for about $35 on amazon. it includes a straight steel rod, 2 conical adapters to make that rod work with most wheel bearing sizes, and 2 "feet" with MUCH freer spinning bearings than what is already on the wheels for that rod to turn in.

http://www.amazon.com/Balancer-Motor...wheel+balancer

I had to cut the small end off one of the cones because our front wheel hub is so narrow the cones were touching before being tight against the bearing.. but otherwise the setup worked great. I could be pretty repeatable with only a 2.5gram change in balancing weight.
bloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:37 AM   #24
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,029
I use lead strips under the rim tape I think it was 75grams for the motion pro lite lock ,

I don't balance tyres just the rim / rim lock . Makes a big difference , and placing the lead under the rim tape mavens you never have to worry about it getting knocked off or coming off in a river crossing
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #25
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
Another option. There is one made for KTM's

http://www.marcparnes.com/
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #26
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,746
I do a quick gravity balance on all of my bikes. Without a balancing stand, just remove the outer spacers to reduce friction.

I got tired of buying the stick on weights, and I'm a big believer in recycling, so I make my own.

Just make a rectangular form from heavy duty foil, melt some lead in an old tin can with a propane torch, and pour into the mold to about 1/4" thick. Score every 1/2" with a chisel. Break off the amounts you need & stick in place with RTV.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #27
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
Nice one HellSickle

I love do it-your-self for everything
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #28
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
You can also build your own balancer using 1/2" drill rod and some bearings from mcmaster. I machined a couple spacers on the lathe for all my different wheels. Cost me maybe $20 and is very accurate
that's what I did at first.. 1/2in rod and aluminum machined spacers on my lathe. rolling over two sealed bearing resting on two jack stands. works excellent.

now I've got a No Mar balancer and Snap-on static balancer. a bit more refined, but works no better than the home made version.

key is watching video below... shows you a very precise way to balance

_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:59 AM   #29
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
I do a quick gravity balance on all of my bikes. Without a balancing stand, just remove the outer spacers to reduce friction.

I got tired of buying the stick on weights, and I'm a big believer in recycling, so I make my own.

Just make a rectangular form from heavy duty foil, melt some lead in an old tin can with a propane torch, and pour into the mold to about 1/4" thick. Score every 1/2" with a chisel. Break off the amounts you need & stick in place with RTV.
Wouldn't it be easier just to put new double stick tape on the weights you already have?
Sporting Wood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #30
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
Wouldn't it be easier just to put new double stick tape on the weights you already have?
Sometimes I do that. Most of the time I found the tape doesn't hold well to old weights. I usually supplement the tape with RTV anyway. I'm of the opinion that my bikes are never going to win a beauty contest, so I pick durability over aesthetics any day.

FYI, my wife is the one who pioneered the process for making your own lead strips. We pick up old lead weights from car tires any time we see they laying around. A good source is the parking lot at the tire store. On a hot day you can pry the old weights out of the asphalt.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote