ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #31
Brokein2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
I have seen this guy duct tape the sole on his boots and ride for 5 days like that....and now I know why my truck wheels were out of balance on the way home from Spodefest.

I am just using spoke weights at this point.

Happy Holidays Jeff...
'14 R1200GS
Brokein2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #32
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
FYI, my wife is the one who pioneered the process for making your own lead strips. We pick up old lead weights from car tires any time we see they laying around. A good source is the parking lot at the tire store. On a hot day you can pry the old weights out of the asphalt.
just ask the tire store for used weights. most times they will sell for low costs and/or just give em to ya. got a couple 5 gallon buckets full of old weights for casting bullets.

for motorcycle been using stick-on weight, lead solder wrapped around spokes and OEM weights that anchors on spoke nipples.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #33
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokein2 View Post
I have seen this guy duct tape the sole on his boots and ride for 5 days like that....and now I know why my truck wheels were out of balance on the way home from Spodefest.

I am just using spoke weights at this point.

Happy Holidays Jeff...
Not me with the duct taped boots, but I think I know who you are referring to. You have quite the memory.

Spoke weights.... Hmmmm..... I think I could easily make a form to build those. Conical.... Drill & counterbore a hole down the middle. Slit with a hacksaw. Winter is here & idle hands need projects.

It's getting harder to find lead weights for environmental reasons. The least expensive material I could find new was the biggest fishing weights. It won't be long before those are also outlawed.d

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #34
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 892
I just use goof-off to remove the old adhesive and lay the old weights on a bit of 1/4" 3M automotive trim tape. Bought a roll several years ago, one will just about last forever doing an inch at a time. Been on the same little square of tire weights for years this way. Stuff just has to be clean to stick. RuGlide, oil whatever will prevent the adhesive from working. Goof-off is your friend.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #35
Brokein2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Not me with the duct taped boots, but I think I know who you are referring to. You have quite the memory.

Spoke weights.... Hmmmm..... I think I could easily make a form to build those. Conical.... Drill & counterbore a hole down the middle. Slit with a hacksaw. Winter is here & idle hands need projects.

It's getting harder to find lead weights for environmental reasons. The least expensive material I could find new was the biggest fishing weights. It won't be long before those are also outlawed.d
You are right....It was John Arnett with the boots.....it was you that wished he had duct taped the door shut on the trailer to avoid people with cameras invading during those private moments we all have.
'14 R1200GS
Brokein2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #36
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Sometimes I do that. Most of the time I found the tape doesn't hold well to old weights. I usually supplement the tape with RTV anyway. I'm of the opinion that my bikes are never going to win a beauty contest, so I pick durability over aesthetics any day.

FYI, my wife is the one who pioneered the process for making your own lead strips. We pick up old lead weights from car tires any time we see they laying around. A good source is the parking lot at the tire store. On a hot day you can pry the old weights out of the asphalt.
I love it........ dont stop ..
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote