User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
Honduras OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Insurance in Bogota Clolombia, where?

Anyone can tell me where I can buy this around the airport in Bogota, while I am waiting on getting our motorcycles from Girag ( They are sofar 3 days late with shipping as promised for all kind of non existing reasons, bummer)
Honduras C.A.
http://utilamoto.blogspot.com/
Honduras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:10 AM   #2
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 520
Probably forgot to put it on the plane, like they did with mine when I used them last year. Finally, after pestering the guy in Bogota, they loaded it up and got it down to me.

SOAT (mandatory insurance) can be purchased at almost any gas station in Colombia, although with a foreign registered bike you might have to go to one of the insurance companies' main offices. I say "might" because I had to do this ostensibly since my plate number has only five digits, instead of the six that Colombia moto plates have. This threw them off, so I was sent to a main office by the sales agent at the gas station SOAT kiosk. Don't know if your plates would cause that issue.

But--you need your TVIP paperwork from customs in order to buy the insurance, so until you get the bike from Girag and go through the customs process, you really can't move forward. Grab a coffee and empanada and wait. Or, maybe try buying it online here: https://soat.suranet.com/SoatVentaLi...6270#principal Can't promise it will work.

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Honduras OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcero View Post
Probably forgot to put it on the plane, like they did with mine when I used them last year. Finally, after pestering the guy in Bogota, they loaded it up and got it down to me.

SOAT (mandatory insurance) can be purchased at almost any gas station in Colombia, although with a foreign registered bike you might have to go to one of the insurance companies' main offices. I say "might" because I had to do this ostensibly since my plate number has only five digits, instead of the six that Colombia moto plates have. This threw them off, so I was sent to a main office by the sales agent at the gas station SOAT kiosk. Don't know if your plates would cause that issue.

But--you need your TVIP paperwork from customs in order to buy the insurance, so until you get the bike from Girag and go through the customs process, you really can't move forward. Grab a coffee and empanada and wait. Or, maybe try buying it online here: https://soat.suranet.com/SoatVentaLi...6270#principal Can't promise it will work.
Thanks, I tried the on line one but I have 7 numbers and got stuck just with you having 5 numbers, will check a gas station tomorrow, to see how far I can get through,. That the bike is delayed , I do not mind, what I do mind is that Girag guaranteed me almost in writing in Panama, the bike would be sent the next day early and when I came that day, all they said it was not in Bogota and that is it, no more explanation as come back Tuesday ( Monday is an Holiday), but as far as I found out they never close, Girag, Aduana.......
Honduras C.A.
http://utilamoto.blogspot.com/
Honduras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,762
Not near the airport but I bought a 3 month policy here

Segurs del Estado

Calle 90, 11-40
Bogota Colombia
04° 40.353' N 074° 02.912' W

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
the sell at SURA, insurance offices. Every city have them.

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by GastonUSAChile View Post
the sell at SURA, insurance offices. Every city have them.
I bought a 3 month policy from Sura in Colombia and continued showing it all through Ecuador, Peru, and the rest of South America as it didn't have any mention of Colombia on it. The dates were still valid so the cops accepted it.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
OK Lucinda
nOOb

Oddometer: 177
Girag at Bogota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcero View Post

But--you need your TVIP paperwork from customs in order to buy the insurance, so until you get the bike from Girag and go through the customs process, you really can't move forward. Grab a coffee and empanada and wait.
This is incorrect, as I just found out. You need to get SOAT before aduana. Here's how it all works now.

You first go to security to get a pass for the cargo area 200 yards from El Dorado airport. Go here

N4 41.553 W74 08.168

They'll trade you a copy of your passport or drivers license for a paper security pass. You'll need this all day. Plan on 4 hours. It could easily be worse and not much better.

Then walk through the security gate to Girag which is under the sign that says Officina 500 in the big building across the parking lot, here

N4 41.541 W74 08.228

Go through the big double doors and knock on the unmarked steel door immediately to the right. Another security guard will ask what you want. Show him your Girag shipping document. He'll frisk you etc and go immediately to the left. There are about 8 glass windows. Girag is at the furthest two. Give the guy/girl your shipping document and passport. He'll find your bike. But the rest of the shit he does can take an hour. Then he'll stamp your paperwork and send you off to aduana where they will turn you away because you don't have SOAT. Aduana is on the 2nd floor at the building you started at.

So don't bother with aduana and take your bike title, passport and licence to the big Mobil gas station back on the airport road, a couple of miles back, here and buy your SOAT

N4 40.184 W74 06.746

The girls here are fast and efficient. Then go and get all your photocopies made around the corner of the gas station about 30 feet, or you'll be coming back later! Passport, title, licence, SOAT, and the Girag documents. Aduana also want a copy of the immigration stamp in your passport.

Then go back to aduana on the 2nd floor. They will give you a handler who will walk you up to the 3rd floor where you'll sit for maybe 5 minutes or maybe a hour or so waiting to see one of the girls from DIAN, the customs agency. They are very efficient, more so than the Girag people, at least for me. after doing half the paperwork, you'll walk together back to Girag where you'll see your bike for the first time and she'll check the VIN. Then back to aduana where she'll complete the paperwork. Be sure to get a copy.

Take this back to the Girag guy/girl and they'll finalize their paperwork with a warehouse order. Then you'll go through yet another security door to the warehouse. They'll leave you be to change, pack the bike, etc.

They'll set up a ramp when you're ready at the loading dock and when you're ready to go about 50 warehouse employees and security people will gather at the top of the ramp to watch you ride it out. Not too steep but not wide either! They won't applaud when you ride away because their hoping for a fail, so they groan instead. Fun!
OK Lucinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #8
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Lucinda View Post
They won't applaud when you ride away because their hoping for a fail, so they groan instead. Fun!