User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 05:15 AM   #1
Aussijussi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
Why the car drivers don't see us

Interesting, if not scary, article in London cyclist, how our eyes work, or rather, don't work! The article is fairly long, but well worth reading.
http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf....each-cyclist/
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:45 AM   #2
panorton
Charming as F**k

Oddometer: 467
404?
Old 11-04-2012, 05:50 AM   #3
Pepepower
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Motion induced blindness.

One of the causes more amazed to me, when i read it here, in somebody´s threat..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_induced_blindness
Pepepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
Aussijussi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussijussi View Post
Interesting, if not scary, article in London cyclist, how our eyes work, or rather, don't work! The article is fairly long, but well worth reading.
http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf....each-cyclist/
Sorry, it's under 'What an RAF pilot can teach about being safe on the road'.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #5
panorton
Charming as F**k

Oddometer: 467
thanks
Old 11-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #6
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by panorton View Post
404?
http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-p...each-cyclists/
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,329
Interesting article. It was more geared toward cyclists as far as how to use the information to improve safety, though. What is a motorcyclist supposed to do with this knowledge? I already ride as if no one is looking for me, but I know there have been instances where a driver actually seeing me has prevented a bad situation, so improving odds of actually being seen would definitely be a plus.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,766
Weaving in your lane is still (and always was) the best way to avoid not being seen. It defeats several problems -- poor depth perception/the "looming effect," being missed in a saccade, and generates a side to side movement which is attention grabbing because you are moving across the field of vision. It doesn't have to be an exagerated wild swerve -- just gently weave back and forth within your lane three times or so when you are approaching potential SMIDSY situations such as a left turner. Even changing your lane position can be enough.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #9
Aussijussi OP
Beastly Adventurer

After reading that article, expect the unexpected even more. As what do to be more visible to the car driver, probably everything from the 'weave' to the hi-viz gear, extra light's, staying out of the car drivers blind spot's. None of these are any help though, in cases like this woman driver i saw the other day, reading a book while driving! In spite of being 205, mobile phone use, especially texting, while driving, should have a tougher penalty than a fine, confiscate their bloody car.
Drivers seem to notice the weave, that is of course, if you have time to do it.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:33 AM   #10
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:
Fair point.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
Old 11-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #11
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Given the frequency of drivers "not seeing" my 3500 series Ram pickup or Fusion, I think there's a lot more than just this at play. Sure, this might cause some of the incidents, but I suspect most drivers are simply inattentive morons.

There may be some drivers that can be made to notice us more due to weaving, bright colors, etc, but with most, you could have a multi piece marching band on a trailer, be shooting off fireworks, and have strobes on without being noticed.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #12
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sandman_454 View Post
but I suspect most drivers are simply inattentive morons.
Also a fair point.

The number of people who roll up to stop signs, slow a bit, then go WITHOUT stopping is truly astounding. You simply can NOT get a good look in both directions in .03752 seconds.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #13
Aussijussi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sandman_454 View Post
Given the frequency of drivers "not seeing" my 3500 series Ram pickup or Fusion, I think there's a lot more than just this at play. Sure, this might cause some of the incidents, but I suspect most drivers are simply inattentive morons.

There may be some drivers that can be made to notice us more due to weaving, bright colors, etc, but with most, you could have a multi piece marching band on a trailer, be shooting off fireworks, and have strobes on without being noticed.
I agree, some people just should not be allowed behind a steering wheel. I've noticed recently that drivers are getting more agressive, besides being careless. This tailgating stuff just shits me, driving inches from your bumper, in pouring rain, impatient cunts. It's a 'me first' world. I believe some drivers also ignore bikes, and expect them to give way, even though the bike has the right of way. I am lucky to live in the sticks, where the traffic is sparse, fewer idiot's on the roads. Having said that, couple of days before i put the 990 away for winter, i was nearly collected by arsehole driver cuting the corner, he was fully in my lane, interesting last ride of the season!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #14
fuelish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
A lot of that comes down to our awareness. Always be scanning and looking farther down the road than fifty feet, for that oncoming car shifting to the turn lane or the guy rolling to the intersection. And dogs, pedestrians, cyclists...
fuelish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,504
A guy I went to school with made a turn in front of a motorcyclist traveling at over 120 in a 45 zone. Of course it was fatal of the motorcyclist. He did not see him, and in this case he was not at fault. Someone at 120 covers a mile in 30 seconds, and when we look to turn on a 45 mph street very few of us look 1/4 mile or more down the road for a speeding motorcycle. And I really don't think we should have to. My old school mate was darn lucky he was not killed too, hit just far enough behind the cab he only got bruised up. Mashed in his old truck over half way and spun him around. I have heard he does not drive much anymore. Because of the bikers irresponsible actions this man is affected for the rest of his life too. I explained all this to him, no one, no one else ever took the time.

The charges agains thim were quickly drioopped when the speed of the motorcycle was determined. So that was fair.

If you want to speed, you have to pick your spots carefully. Those that don't are not of the faith and are not long for this world. Or Darwin candidates.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote