Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #46
borderer
guzzi 2 shoes

Oddometer: 97
One thing which struck me is that there is an extremely low rate of cycle accidents in the Netherlands where there is the highest rate of usage, I think that there cycles are such an everyday part of life that they are looked for automatically. If everyone rod e bikes regularly they would be much more aware of their existence
borderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #47
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidDogCoffee View Post
When I was a teenager and got my first ticket, the judge made me take a Defensive Driving course. I resented it at the time, but honestly it improved my driving immensely. I think DD orders should be issued on all moving violations.
Defensive driving- and riding, as you just went through- are only effective if they can convince the student that it's worth applying. Most of us (drivers and riders overall) have an inkling of how to drive (ride) safely and choose to ignore it.

dwoodward screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 11:42 AM
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #48
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I think people who survive 100's of thousands of miles on bikes on the road already do this with little or no thought required,some how they have no close calls,not a lot of butt clinching going on.
Here's the "somehow":
Quote:
They have trained them selves to act a certain way for certain situations,no matter what happens they are already gone or stopped before it happened,you wont see them tailgating,or being tailgated,Call it a 6th sense or what ever,it comes from riding a lot.
It comes from riding / drivnig and paying attention to the surroundings a lot. It's not just miles- you have to make them count, and learn to be proactive.

Quote:
Those who swear their ABS saves their life all the time on bikes are doing it a different way.
That's being reactive... and not being good at it.

I used to be proud of my ability to weave and dodge my way through situations. Now I'm prouder of my ability to see them developing and stay out of them in the first place.

That doesn't mean I stopped practicing riding skills; I just practice them on my terms instead of someone else's.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #49
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Here's the "somehow":
It comes from riding / drivnig and paying attention to the surroundings a lot. It's not just miles- you have to make them count, and learn to be proactive.

That's being reactive... and not being good at it.

I used to be proud of my ability to weave and dodge my way through situations. Now I'm prouder of my ability to see them developing and stay out of them in the first place.

That doesn't mean I stopped practicing riding skills; I just practice them on my terms instead of someone else's.
Nicely said.
I very seldom have a "close call". It's certainly not because the people driving around me are better drivers than all other people, it's because close calls are too close.
I'm very skeptical of people who tell me how great they ride or drive by listing all of the situations where they "almost" got hit or "almost" had to lay it down.
ray h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #50
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,445
I notice this in europe too. but you have a much higher level of driver training that we have in the USA, and much stricter vehicle inspections. In the USA, traffic laws seem to be aimed more at revenue generation than safety, so things like proper lane usage and citing drivers for passing on the right are completely ignored, while police prefer to hide out with radar guns and fine people for driving 5mph over the limit. For an american driver, what at first appears to be complete chaos with scooters, motorcycles, and cars buzzing all around each other in busy european cities, is actually a well-controlled dance, and you don't see nearly as much stupid and dangerous behavior there.

For whatever reason, there also seems to be a lot of aggression towards motorcycles and bicyclists on the roads by car drivers over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderer View Post
One thing which struck me is that there is an extremely low rate of cycle accidents in the Netherlands where there is the highest rate of usage, I think that there cycles are such an everyday part of life that they are looked for automatically. If everyone rod e bikes regularly they would be much more aware of their existence
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote