Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 07:40 AM   #16
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by grelcar View Post
Does Cycle Gear sell the cable to connect to a SAE connector?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
The SAE- cax adapter is like $8 shipped on eBay all day long.

However, doesn't the cyclegear stuff come with a battery harness? Yes, butt see'in I already have an SAE out fer my Slime pump, figured, I'd just use that. Should already have a phat enough fuse too.

Remember to replace the fuze in your SAE cable, a tender fuse is usually just 3 amps and you need a 10 amp for the heated gear.
I bought an SAE to cax from Amazon, butt it didn't work, WTF? so I ended up get'in one from CG, and it worked.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #17
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvslow View Post
The controller with the jacket made it a bargain. Time will tell. In the 55 degree garage, the IR thermometer got to 103 on the sleeves on max setting. For the most part the heat panels all read between 98 and 100 degrees on max. On max it never feels too hot. I also noted by testing the wiring- gloves connections in the sleeves are always live so they must be wired directly to the main connection. I find if my gloves are plugged in without the controller tuned on- the gloves go to max heat. Gerbing has a jacket with a different connector for gloves and auxiliary. Cyclegear salemans swore that Gerbings made the microwire internals and connectors for Hotwired. I have not been able to find info anywhere on the web about this. In looking at the two jackets side by side- there are several similarities. Hotwired label is same place on chest. Label print on inside same as Gerbing does. Wiring is definitely different. So I think the salesman was full of it. Also no lifetime warranty on hotwired- enough said.

Heated collar and sleeves are nice. Really cuts down on the cold air around he neck.

There are no clear directions on the connections for the controller. The controller sits on the right side of the jacket and once zipped up you can feel it press against you. Also need to drape wire to left side of bike since mine was already wired to this side. Guess I could change the lead to the right side. All other makes seem to be on the left side.
Another reviewer also commented you need to unzip outside jacket and inside liner to access the controls. Haven't figured out how to move this controller outside my jacket yet.
[IMG]http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y532/drvslow/IMAG0230.jpg[/snip]

Looks very similar to Venture Heats jacket and controller. Description of glove connection even matches. Is a 83 watt same as their jacket. They seem to be a reputable company.

http://www.ventureheat.com/p-419-12v...ket-liner.aspx
I got one-- the price was right and it is warranted. The controller being situated on the inside of the heated jacket is mickey-mouse. Hard to get to for adjustments. I got some coax connectors-- 5.5mm x 2.5mm and made an adapter that runs inside the jacket in place of the controller and allows the controller to be placed on the input lead of the jacket. The controller is then velcroed to the left rear of the bike fairing and it's easy to see and reach for adjustment. I've only used it a couple of times, so we'll see how this arrangement works in the long-run. I've been threatening to get a heated liner for years now and this is my first one.

This adapter may or may not work with the pre-wired glove connectors-- I need to see how _that_ wiring arranged.

My only gripe is that the wire for the heated collar is located so that it might be prone to damage if the jacket is placed on a coat hook. I might eventually sew a hanger loop back there, but for the time being I'm using a coat hanger.

--Bill

Agreed, I think that the Venture jackets are the same as the Sedici.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #18
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
I got one-- the price was right and it is warranted. The controller being situated on the inside of the heated jacket is mickey-mouse. Hard to get to for adjustments. I got some coax connectors-- 5.5mm x 2.5mm and made an adapter that runs inside the jacket in place of the controller and allows the controller to be placed on the input lead of the jacket. The controller is then velcroed to the left rear of the bike fairing and it's easy to see and reach for adjustment. I've only used it a couple of times, so we'll see how this arrangement works in the long-run. I've been threatening to get a heated liner for years now and this is my first one.

This adapter may or may not work with the pre-wired glove connectors-- I need to see how _that_ wiring arranged.

My only gripe is that the wire for the heated collar is located so that it might be prone to damage if the jacket is placed on a coat hook. I might eventually sew a hanger loop back there, but for the time being I'm using a coat hanger.

--Bill

Agreed, I think that the Venture jackets are the same as the Sedici.
I zip-tie the controller to the handlebars, 'n just run a wire to the jacket. I saw the intructions, and wondered how'd you be able to adjust the heat with the troller in the jacket?
Old 11-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #19
coonass35
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I've been riding with the Jacket Liner and the glove liner every day for the past couple of weeks. Temps have ranged from 30 degrees in the morning to about 50 in the evening. If the weather is 40 degrees and above, I have to have the controller on low or I will get too hot. Below 40 to about 30 usually the med setting, but when I sit at a red light I begin to roast; however I mostly run the interstate to work and I quickly cool off. I have all my jacket vents open to allow max air flow and so far so good. Overall I am pleased with my purchase. For about 250 dollars including tax I think it was well worth it. I will say the design of the controller is absolutely ridiculous and not accessible once everything is zipped up. This is a very poor design.
coonass35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #20
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
So where did you get the connectors etc? I'm not paying venture $60 for 2 extensions. Even a 3 or 4 inch to go inside would be enough to be able to move the controller. Touaster has a short extension I saw for $6 on MC superstore.

It worked nice this morning but the controller definitely needs moving.
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #21
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

I got the connectors at an electronics supply store. "DC Coaxial Plug" "-Socket" "-Jack", size is 5.5mm x 2.5mm. Radio Shack used to carry them ( and may still) , but the quality was iffy. No need to pay premium prices for an adapter you can easily make.

Search digikey.com or mouser.com, the are good mail order houses.

--Bill
Old 12-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #22
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by grelcar View Post
Does Cycle Gear sell the cable to connect to a SAE connector?
I got one at the Cycle gear here in Vanc, WA last week. 10 bucks.....
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:03 AM   #23
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Anyone know if tour master plugs are the same size? They have a variety of cables and such. They all seem reasonably priced.
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #24
Mr_McBride
'The Cartographer'

Oddometer: 63
I bought the jacket liner and gloves. Here is my experience.

The first jacket liner, no voltage that the glove pigtails. Took the jacket liner back. Tested the second in the store with the gloves. Wired directly to a battery everything worked. This was on a Saturday. I had a trip planned for Sunday.

Sunday morning. I pulled out of the garage at 04:40 in the morning. It was 29F. Got everything connected and the gloves would not come on. Same issue. Rode an hour to meet my friend for the trip. My hands were cold at the point. I added a y-adapter ( not included ) and run extra wires ( included with the gloves ) to the gloves ( read as wired the gloves around the jacket liner controller ). Bingo, I was back in business. The glove pigtails are wired to the jacket liner and cannot be disconnected like the W&S liners can be. I have to assume that the gloves are supposed to receive power from the jacket liner but can be controller separately with their own built-in controller. However, since the jacket liner controls the voltage to the jacket liner I can't follow the logic of how this is supposed to work. Not being able to use the pigtails from the jacket liner ended up being a deal killer for me. I don't want extra wires just for the gloves.

The jacket liner makes plenty of heat. I was wearing two piece gear and found that the lower section of my belly was a bit cool. No warmth from the jacket liner near the waist line. The included heat troller for the jacket liner was very nice. I found that the four selections of low, medium, hi, and max was perfect and the controller was very easy to use. I did not mount the jacket liner controller inside the jacket liner, though. I left it hanging just below my 3/4 jacket. No issues here.

Now to the gloves....They are very bulky...too bulky for me. Each glove as it's own built-in controller. This means that when you want to make a change you have make the change on both gloves ( ie 2 steps ). This with the extra bulkiness ended up being a deal killer for me. There's no heat in the palm. However, the worst issue was that the wires for middle fingers are placed too close to your fingers. I ended up with blisters from second degree burns on both middle fingers. With that being said, the gloves did NOT heat so quickly as to cause the burns. The burns were the result from running the gloves on the medium setting for a long time ( about 14 hours to be exact ). It was a very slow process and I never noticed the burn until late into the ride. Oh, one more grip about the gloves. While it was easy to change the settings on the right glove while riding, making the change on the left glove required taking your hand off the throttle. Also, it was too difficult to power the gloves off or on completely as you have to press and hold the button for about 3 seconds. This was not hard to do with the left have, but taking the right hand off the throttle for 3 seconds doesn't work for me. And the built-in controller is difficult to see and use at all in the dark.

I ended up taking the jacket liner and gloves back for a refund, which CG granted. I'll be spending the extra coin on W&S from now on.

I did manage to stay warm with this gear, but the design and inconvenience was too much for me.

For reference I rode 717 miles with this gear in temps ranging from 29F to 48.

2012 G-Strom
Mr_McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #25
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

That is my take on the Sedici Hotwired brand, too. It was priced attractively, available locally and of passable quality. And it claims to have a "lifetime warranty", which will be tested.

My first heated gear, it'll serve for general/hazardous use, but for the future Transcon Trips, I'll go W&S.

--Bill
Old 01-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #26
Mr_McBride
'The Cartographer'

The package clearly states "1 year warranty".

2012 G-Strom
Old 01-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #27
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
From the Cycle Gear web site:

Sedici Lifetime Guarantee
The SEDICI collection of motorcycle clothing and accessories is made with only the finest quality materials and to the highest specifications. As a result SEDICI are pleased to extend a Lifetime Guarantee on every product.

This Lifetime Guarantee covers any defect arising in:
  • The construction
  • Manufacturing methods
  • Components or quality of materials from date of initial purchase through the lifetime of the product
This guarantee does NOT cover:
  • Normal wear and tear
  • Accidental damage
  • misuse of the product
  • weather ageing
Old 01-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #28
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrdr55 View Post
This warranty does not cover:

weather ageing
Or bad spelling.

/Klay
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #29
Mr_McBride
'The Cartographer'

The packaging says "one year". If they have extended that, then great.

Personally, I going with W&S...

2012 G-Strom
Old 01-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #30
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

The QUOTE lifetime warranty ENDQUOTE is a marketing ploy and is like a piece of Swiss cheese. My expectations ar enot set too hight.

W&S is a good way to go, IMO. They are now associated with/marketed by Firstgear, and I've always been satisfied with that brand.

--Bill