ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 02:39 PM   #16
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,601
Meh, count me in. Hopefully I get to show up on a new Tenere and destroy it soon thereafter

Why not post this in the Rallies thread and try to attract a larger crowd?
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #17
Dirt_Dad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmgf7 View Post
Why not post this in the Rallies thread and try to attract a larger crowd?
That might have been a good place if I had seen it. I didn't notice it when I was looking to post. I'm pretty sure most forums frown on multiple posts in different locations, so I'll keep that in mind if I'm asked to publicize the 3rd annual event.

So far we're pushing 30 possible between the three forums where this is posted. Obviously not all of those will make it, but I believe we're going to have significant growth from the inaugural event.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
Dirt_Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:51 AM   #18
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 3,098
I'm pretty sure if you posted this in the Annual Rallies forum the MOD'S would move it.
I'll
be bringing 1 guy with me(BEANTOP)
Old 01-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #19
Falconx84
Lurker

Oddometer: 369
Any word on the dirt portion of the group ride(s)?

I'm not terribly experienced in the dirt other than rough dirt roads. I've also got a buddy that may be interested bit he's also more street oriented - Yamaha FZ6. We're in the same position - we don't shy away from a little dirt as long as it can still be called a "road" we're probably ok.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #20
Dirt_Dad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconx84 View Post
Any word on the dirt portion of the group ride(s)?

I'm not terribly experienced in the dirt other than rough dirt roads. I've also got a buddy that may be interested bit he's also more street oriented - Yamaha FZ6. We're in the same position - we don't shy away from a little dirt as long as it can still be called a "road" we're probably ok.
There will be at least two different group rides. One will be primarily pavement, and if there is any dirt at all it will be easy.

I will leading a ride that will include more significant dirt, but it will not be a hardcore dirt ride. There will be big bikes involved and I can't predict the off pavement skills of the group. I anticipate some hunting roads with shallow water crossing, and some relatively easy mud. The two roads in the videos below may or may not be included in my ride.

dirt road 1
dirt road 2

These are not difficult on an Adventure bike, but might be pretty challenging on a FZ6. May want to pick the pavement ride.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
Old 01-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #21
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,601
Crap, I'm gonna have to bail. I have to go to drill that weekend. Too bad it wasn't closer to Salem or Covington.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #22
Dirt_Dad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thought I'd keep everyone up to speed on the plans.

So far the plan is for two different group rides on Saturday. One Tenere guy will be leading a pavement oriented ride highlighting some of the great roads around the area. There's a lot of good twisty stuff around there. I don't believe he's planning any dirt. I'll be leading a dirt road oriented ride. All roads will be legal state roads, but not necessarily ones that see much if any maintenance. Roads will not be overly difficult, but could have some occasional minor rocky sections, mud puddles, minor water crossings, gravel, up and down switchbacks, and other features that can be easily traversed by a jeep.

Now that you're about to flip the page on your 2013 calendar this is a reminder to pencil in a weekend in WV.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
Old 01-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #23
Dual Sport Armory
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
This looking to be a great event

Can't wait
Dual Sport Armory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:33 PM   #24
Falconx84
Lurker

Oddometer: 369
Are the group rides going to be scheduled so we can participate in both?
Old 01-31-2013, 05:49 PM   #25
Dirt_Dad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconx84 View Post
Are the group rides going to be scheduled so we can participate in both?
Group rides will be on Saturday. So it will be one or the other. I plan to post a GPS file once I get it completely worked out. So if you take the pavement ride you can still take some of the dirt ride on the way there or on the way home.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
Old 02-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #26
1976mike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Sounds like a good trip. Have been on many of the roads in that area and am interested in the offroad pieces. Question is to bring both bikes? How much pavement will there be on the dirt rides?
1976mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #27
Dirt_Dad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976mike View Post
Sounds like a good trip. Have been on many of the roads in that area and am interested in the offroad pieces. Question is to bring both bikes? How much pavement will there be on the dirt rides?
Hard to say at the moment. I'm playing with different routes on the computer now and will be exploring over the next couple of months to see what works best.

I would like to include Blackwater Canyon Road (video) for the interesting but relatively easy water crossings, and my favorite border crossing road (video) because it's just plain fun. But these are pretty far apart which would mean a significant amount of pavement getting from area to the other.

Bottom line, I haven't worked out the route yet. If I had to guess there may be more pavement miles, but I hope to spend at least 50% of the riding time off pavement. I'd like the dirt ride to be interesting and not just dirt for dirt sake. Likewise, whatever pavement we must cross I want to be interesting as well. If we do the canyon road we'll also do Rt 72 (video). It may be paved, but it's fantastic.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
Old 02-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #28
iBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Pencil me in as well. I think a couple of folks my way will be attending also. Not sure if they will be camping or just out for the day.

Looks like a good time.
iBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #29
Dirt_Dad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just 8 weeks away and we have about 30 people who put themselves on the possibly attending list.

So far we have leaders for one dirt oriented ride and one pavement ride. In the event we actually get close to the 30 headcount we should probably have some additional guys with local knowledge to be on standby as ride leaders. I'm pretty sure trying to keep 15+ people together for my off pavement ride would prove to be slow going.

It's still a little too soon to get everyone to nail down their schedule and if they are really coming. I'll do that next month. But if you are familiar with the area, and/or willing to go and investigate a possible ride route, and are comfortable leading a ride if needed, please let me know. Just PM me and we can discuss the details.

Not sure if we'll need more than two rides. Just want to make certain all the bases are covered.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
Old 03-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #30
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie bolted View Post
I'm pretty sure if you posted this in the Annual Rallies forum the MOD'S would move it.
Yeah, I think the FAQ says that forum is only about a few "officially approved" rallies.

Anders