ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #106
backroadbender
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
camp romney

Helmats of to everyone at Romney cycle. Very nice setup.Grate rideing,camp fire, and had a relley nice long way home ride with newhoco, just becouse he headed for a diffrent country after rideing several hundred milles with me didn't hurt me to badley, I hope to get over it soon. If you come to the states ageen newhoco let me know,We could go for coffee, maybe in Va. this Time. In for next year
backroadbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #107
Dirt_Dad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by malmon View Post
Looks like everybody had a great time
My loss for not meeting other attendees

Made it to Romney around noon Saturday and met Chris as he was getting ready to leave for lunch to meet one of the groups and asked if I wanted to tag along, I replied no because I thought that was the off road group, a decision of which I will regret. From the short chat we had, I learned some useful info between GS and Tenere. It was nice meeting you and thank you for sharing.

Also Met Larry and as I imagined on the phone days before, a friendly guy which makes you feel at home right away. My apologies for not making it back to your dinner invitation. Got a question though, would the campground be open other times of the year?

Had some fun exploring Romney, meandering all the way to Davis. Met 3 inmates on KLR, VStrom and Tenere (sorry I did not get their names) looking for gas not far from the crossing of 42 and 93 near the windfarm and took some pics (will post here if I can remember how) or a link...

Oscar

Chris mentioned you were there at the dealership. Sorry I missed you. He was leaving Romney to meet me out at Parsons, WV to do a little dirt riding. It was a good time, but not a good match for the FZ1.

I see by the pictures you met a total of 4 of our group. That station at the top of Mt. Storm probably hosted most of our group at one point or anther that day. Thanks for the posting pictures, I'm going to use a couple in the video I should have done and posted here this weekend.

Romney Cycles only sets up as a camp ground for special events. So far they have done it just twice for our adventure Camp-N-Ride. I know they bought the showers so they could do more. Check with Larry to see what else they may be doing this year. Of course if you're like Chris, you can always pitch a tent outside the service bay to get your bike worked on the next day. But there are no year round facilities there.

Hope you can make it next year...on your new Tenere.
2013 Suzuki DR650SE
2008 Yamaha WR250R (for sale)
Dirt_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #108
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,731
Hey guys,

I'm doing a ride report (pic heavy) over on 'Day Trippin'. Here's to link to it.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886109

I'll be posting the next day or two.

Mark in Louisville
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #109
Dirt_Dad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here it is. I didn't take many pictures or video, so I used what I had and what you guys posted.

The group riding video includes the shots were "Infamous Baker Bros" and our Tronto friend Newhoco out front. The single Tenere rider video was Sail2xxs.

2013 Suzuki DR650SE
Old 05-11-2013, 06:02 AM   #110
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
That's a really neat video. I need to get off my butt and do some of those, I have a gopro and take videos but then they just sit on the hard drive!
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #111
malmon
unknown noobody

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_Dad View Post
Chris mentioned you were there at the dealership. Sorry I missed you. He was leaving Romney to meet me out at Parsons, WV to do a little dirt riding. It was a good time, but not a good match for the FZ1.

I see by the pictures you met a total of 4 of our group. That station at the top of Mt. Storm probably hosted most of our group at one point or anther that day. Thanks for the posting pictures, I'm going to use a couple in the video I should have done and posted here this weekend.

Romney Cycles only sets up as a camp ground for special events. So far they have done it just twice for our adventure Camp-N-Ride. I know they bought the showers so they could do more. Check with Larry to see what else they may be doing this year. Of course if you're like Chris, you can always pitch a tent outside the service bay to get your bike worked on the next day. But there are no year round facilities there.

Hope you can make it next year...on your new Tenere.

Watching the video (nicely done btw ), you are right about no match for the fz1, not as fast but it can handle off road provided no ruts or slippery mud with the road tires. But then I will be checking in at Romney's for fork service or trade to a dual sport . I'm hoping next year it will not be on the same weekend as the sport tourers.
Will call Larry one of these days.

Thank you
http://malmonfz1.imgur.com/

malmon screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 09:00 AM
malmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #112
Dirt_Dad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I decided to stop out at Romney today. Larry and Kevin were together and both said hello, then immediately stated talking about ideas they had to make next year better. They threw several ideas at me. Nothing they are ready to announce, but enough to indicate they are thinking about how to improve the event. They have been reading the different threads about the event and were very pleased that everyone had a good time. They are running the video of the event on their store TV network. It plays about every 45 minutes.

On a side note, they mentioned they now have a demo Super Tenere for the next few months, so if you have someone looking to try out a bike, you know where they can find one.
2013 Suzuki DR650SE
Old 05-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #113
Taz1200

Oddometer: 176
Thanks to Romney cycle for putting on this event, I had a great time and love riding the WV roads...I had rode a friends Tenere before this event and was thinking about buying one so I rode my Vstrom down to Romney to be able to talk with other Tenere owners and seeing how everyone loved the bike I decided to purchase one. Whle down there I mentioned to Larry I had a KTM I needed to sell or trade in in order to buy the Tenere and he gave me a great deal so I went back this weekend to pick up a 2013 white Tenere.. I only put about 400 miles on t so far but I know I made the right decision for my type of riding... I do not plan on selling the Vstrom since I still like riding it, but it will probably only see commuting. I would recommend going to Romney Cycle for a good deal great customer service and of course the demo ride.....
Taz1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #114
smokediver3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Any chance of getting a copy of the ride routes? Some of us that didn't make it wouldn't mind still taking a trip after watching the vid.
smokediver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #115
Dirt_Dad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokediver3 View Post
Any chance of getting a copy of the ride routes? Some of us that didn't make it wouldn't mind still taking a trip after watching the vid.
I'd recommend any of these. http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....1&postcount=50
Most of my Saturday group ride was bits and pieces of the two 2013 routes from that thread.

Not sure if Tom has breadcrumbs from the dirt/pavement combo ride he did.
2013 Suzuki DR650SE
Old 05-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #116
smokediver3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Much Thanks! I've ridden some of the area around Canaan/Blackwater/Seneca, but mostly just the paved parts. I took my Concours(along with a V Strom and a ST1300) out the Loop Rd from Blackwater Lodge last summer to the creek crossing. I was told I was crazy, but I reminded my buddies that they were the ones who followed me! Looking forward to riding 72 and the River Rd in a week or two.
smokediver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #117
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 11,373
Just curious.........did anyone get a T-shirt in the mail??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #118
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,029
i hope to be at this event next year. bought my 2012 ADV Wee from them in April. couldn't have been a more pleasant experience.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #119
Dirt_Dad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott P View Post
Just curious.........did anyone get a T-shirt in the mail??
I doubt they've sent them yet. It was a good 3 or 4 months after the event when they arrived last year.
2013 Suzuki DR650SE
Old 06-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #120
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 11,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_Dad View Post
I doubt they've sent them yet. It was a good 3 or 4 months after the event when they arrived last year.
I must be special.............in the mailbox today
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote