Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 01:38 AM   #31
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
Ronin, yeah I always dawn my protective kit, gloves and eye pro at the very least. In the military I know that most of my fellow members are free of communicable blood borne pathogens but I know nothing of the ordinary person out in the world.
Hahaha...yeah, in the military (ex Grunt)I knew what my mates had been shagging and they were more likely to be carrying than the Skinnies were. I wouldn't even share a coffee cup with the degenerates.

When you possess the med kit and the grunts come to you saying they have a problem and they are undoing their pants, you just know it aint gunna be pretty. It's had a few weeks of desert heat to fester. They only come to you when they're on deaths door.

After that, gunshots and amputations are almost a relief.

I think over the last couple of years I've helped with neck and spinal injuries, 2 compound spiral femur fractures, one open...and a few dislocations, couple of dozen broken ribs, and a couple of "spurters". Be prepared, and be prepared to improvise. Keep your wits about you and update your training. I'm an old ex Grunt, and some treatments have improved significantly since we used paracetamol, penicillin powder and Betadine drops to treat everything from tinea to syphilis.

One of the most significant factors in saving one guy was getting the location to the inbound helicopter. I'd done it hundreds of times in the army, but on this occasion grabbed a GPS I'd never seen or used off another bike that was set for a different location format to what I use (I use mils and military grid on mine which had a flat battery, it was degrees of Lat and Long on the one I grabbed) and had to stop and think before I got it right because it had a stupid mouse pad thing. Seeing the chopper coming at you flat out on a dead straight bearing is a good feeling.

The paramedics got us together and told us that we'd done everything exactly right, given them all the information they needed on the flight in, and that I gave them a patient handover they'd expect from a doctor. The guys doctor says he owes us his life. Even the trail bike cop that showed up cut us a break and told us we were the single best equipped and outfitted group he'd ever seen out in the bush. He could have been a real prick and started checking bikes over like they all do here. Instead when he left, he popped a wheelstand from a standing start and flat shifted all the way to top gear with the wheel in the air.

It's a good feeling to know when it all turns to shit you can save a friends life.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #32
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Well the military has changed a bit since then but then again it hasn't.

I feel you on the GPS issues, I carry a Garmin Etrex and am familiar with degrees/mins/secs, MGRS, and other nav platforms. This is crucial for getting an extraction. For a long time I was looking at the SPOT locators and refrained because of the expense and the inability to track/hone. I have a personal EPIRB that I love, I don't carry it much but when I drive to Alaska I will keep it on me. Just like with the medical equipment you have to know what you have, its limitations and benefits. The SPOT is great for some things and awful for others, plus it is mad cash! I figure between my EPIRB and my iridium sat phone I have access to everything I need.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #33
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
I carry much the same stuff as the OP. I keep it in my backpack, which, hopefully will stay with me in a get off. I carry a first aid book, as I don't really have any training, but I will fix that soon. I also carry a 406PLB, in case things really go bad.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #34
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

I really like EPIRBs because they can be used for a variety of rescues and pretty much work anywhere. Although a spot has utility I just find them lacking for real world rescues.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #35
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,476
I carry more or less the same things, except I have a set of water bandages for burns. It's called second skin or something like that. If a bike falls on you, muffler on exposed skin, I'd rather seal that with something not sticky
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #36
whateverjones
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Birth control

The round LED strobe looks like a pack of birth control pills at first glance...One can never be over prepared.
whateverjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #37
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

I don't bother with taking birth control regularly, I live life dangerously and rely on two methods. Either "falling down the stairs" or the good old RU486. JK

I have velcro on it and have put it on my helmet at night before and people GTFO!
Old 11-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #38
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Should something be available for eyes other than gauze & tape? If so, what? I know that most riders have eye protection, but that can get knocked off in a crash.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:43 AM   #39
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

For eyes there are few things you can carry. I recommend having either a camel back or other water source with just water so that you can drink it, and use it for any other purpose (radiator fluid, eye irrigant/flush, wound flushing, putting out a small fire, squirting your friend etc..). Your eye is composed of the actual eye, a variety of musculature and the the bony structure around it. If you have a puncture and the object remains you should splint it in place while putting the least amount of pressure on the injury and protecting the open wound. If there is not a puncture and you were capable of removing debris but corneal abrasions occurred ensure that all debris has been removed, then create the best pirate patch you can make. I suggest carrying a few cutips for debris removal. The eye is an injury that is no fun at all, I wear ballistic rated sunglasses that cover my eyes/orbit completely. By ballistic rated I quite literally mean that my ESS glasses can stop a low velocity .22 cal short. In my opinion the best way to prevent an eye injury is to wear proper safety gear.

In summary, irrigate, remove non-embedded debris, splint/stabilize anything fixed in the eye, get immediate medical attention. Depending on where you are and the severity of the injury you may be helo'd out (life, limb, eye sight). Shortly I will make a small video covering some of these techniques.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #40
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
For eyes there are few things you can carry. I recommend having either a camel back or other water source with just water so that you can drink it, and use it for any other purpose (radiator fluid, eye irrigant/flush, wound flushing, putting out a small fire, squirting your friend etc..). Your eye is composed of the actual eye, a variety of musculature and the the bony structure around it. If you have a puncture and the object remains you should splint it in place while putting the least amount of pressure on the injury and protecting the open wound. If there is not a puncture and you were capable of removing debris but corneal abrasions occurred ensure that all debris has been removed, then create the best pirate patch you can make.
You should cover both eyes to prevent eye movements. Your eyes always track together (unless there is brain damage).

Why to carry a space/thermal blanket? Do you use it for something else than just keeping you warm? I would guess that your normal riding gear keeps you warm enough. I might take instead an eye wash bottle which has an ergonomic eye cup for washing. Getting dirt to your eyes is quite common even if you wear proper safety gear.

I would also substitute the Leatherman for proper scissors which actually can cut though riding gear if needed.

What would you carry for cooling burns, besides the Camelbak? Is cold spray or cold gel worth carrying?
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan from Finland screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 02:33 PM
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #41
ReDaLeRt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hi,

I Loved you videos but there are some questions on my noob head:

Where do you carry the medical kit?

If you caring it with you, may probably cause morve injuries ou inutilize it in a crash cenario.

On the bike, may probably get dozens of meters away from you making almost impossible getting to it if there is any hard injury on the lower members or on any other place that limits your movements or erect walk.

It is wise to substitute Betadine with some other form, like Bepanthene Plus?

Thank you in advance,
Old 11-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #42
ecubed
LFC Cat

Oddometer: 695
r4l,

Nice "kit".. Thanks!

I need to add the epi pen and more Ace.

Awesome post idea.......keep it going!

Not to shanghai your post.........

Before any group ride I tell everyone that I have a "Trauma Kit" and where it is located. (just in case they need it on me)

Mainly....in your opinion, would you consider aspirin or ?nitroglycerin? for a heart attack or symptoms?

Thanks for your time and input......
eee

ecubed screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 02:47 PM
ecubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #43
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecubed View Post

I need to add the epi pen.
The problem is that the EpiPen needs a prescription and it has a limited shelf life about 12-18 months. Probably less when subject to elements in your pack.
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #44
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,837
Interesting thread.

Reminds me I need to restock my kit (small uses in the past), and get another larger kit. Now that I have a sidecar I can load it down w/ all kinds of stuff...
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #45
ecubed
LFC Cat

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan from Finland View Post
The problem is that the EpiPen needs a prescription and it has a limited shelf life about 12-18 months. Probably less when subject to elements in your pack.
Right,,,,how about Benedril? (sp).