User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
brownbomber OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
1980 r100rt oil filter change

i picked up a 1980 r100rt my first oil filter change what a treat!! from what i have read the hinged filter goes rubber end in first? if so the po had it in backwards?? what happens when installed backwards?? any insight on filter change would be appreciated thank you one more thing silicone pan gasket permatex or dry
brownbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,993
First off, the short and the sweet, OEM pan gasket, clean dry surface, no sealant. Careful to not over tighten the bolts. The threads in the Aluminum are easy to strip and these in particular are popular threads to strip. If any of them are stripped then repair immediately with Heli Coil. (there are alternative repair systems if you like, I use Heli Coil) If you have never done a thread repair or don't know what a stripped thread looks like then ask some more.

The oil filter has small rubber seals on both ends. Or are you talking about the large black O-ring or the large white O-ring or the metal O-shaped shim? To learn about oil filters go to Anton's pages and read;

http://www.largiader.com/tech/filters/

We call it The $2000 O-ring. At today's prices it will run more like about $3000 but the name is The $2000 O-ring. It is that important. If you have trouble understanding what is going on with the oil filter and what this page is about do not start the bike until it is clear and you have performed the necessary operation.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:53 AM   #3
Paul_Rochdale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
BB

...and in addition DO NOT go anywhere near a motorbike until you have bought and read a workshop manual. Many previous and current owners get the installation of the oil filter wrong so read, read and read again and once completed, write the details of what you've done in an old exercise book, or stick a page in your workshop manual, as I've done, so you'll know in future, for as sure as eggs are eggs, you'll forget as there are various methods depending on the model and year.
Paul_Rochdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,317
Dang. What a good post.

Good advice. In my shop manual I've got a list of "exceptions" because sometimes I disremember "quirks of my bike".

--Bill
Old 12-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,450
Antons page is excellent, thanks for the info!
Old 12-31-2012, 03:39 AM   #6
Paul_Rochdale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
disremember = forget
Paul_Rochdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:29 AM   #7
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
The hinged filter doesnt have a seal at each end. The seal end does go in first.
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:08 AM   #8
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

You are correct if you have a cooler. The oil filter for a bike with cooler has one small O-ring. Sorry, I didn't know this either.

There is a two part oil filter with O-rings at both ends and this goes to a non oil cooler bike. Learn something everyday but some how I think this may be one of those things I forget again.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 12-31-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Disston, I'm am only familiar with the hinged filters so your way ahead of me! Time is catching up with my memory also.

81 R100RT with oil cooler
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:26 AM   #10
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

I use one piece oil filters in my 1975 R90/6. I bought 10 HiFlo 161 filters, made in Austria I think, for less than $4 each.

I will try to remember this about filters but for some reason all the years I've been around this stuff I never knew the oil cooler bikes had only on O-ring.

I do believe in oil coolers, I just never had one.

disston screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 10:11 AM
Old 12-31-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,317
Back in the day I bought a case of Knecht/Mahle (disremember which brand) filters and went through them in a few years. WHen that stash ran out I switched to the hinged filters, they are easier to wiggle in and out. And supposedly the hinged end-plates in the middle make the filter less-crushable from overpressure. Supposedly.

HiFlow filters aer good-- I've dissected one and can vouch for the construction.
FWIW.

--Bill
Old 01-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #12
brownbomber OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
1980 r100rt canister depth

I checked my oil canister depth from the face of the block it is .110 or 2.79 mm the po had the hinged oil filter with rubberend facing out if you pull cover the you can see the numbers on filter is this backwards? what will this do to engine? he had the paper gasket under cover white oring with metal shim to protect oring from sharp edge canister

any help thanks
brownbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #13
ignatz72
call me iggy

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
I checked my oil canister depth from the face of the block it is .110 or 2.79 mm the po had the hinged oil filter with rubberend facing out if you pull cover the you can see the numbers on filter is this backwards? what will this do to engine? he had the paper gasket under cover white oring with metal shim to protect oring from sharp edge canister

any help thanks
PO was wrong with the direction of the filter, so check that there isn't a square o-ring down in the back of your canister (they sometimes hang on the tube).

But if your canister lip depth is only 2.8mm, the PO was right to use at least one paper gasket and at one shim (if the canister edge is sharp, not rolled). If your canister edge is rolled, you can do with one paper gasket, no shim.

It's all detailed on Anton's canister page:
http://www.largiader.com/tech/filters/canister.html

With the wrong direction of the filter, my GUESS is that unfiltered oil could have possibly circulated with filtered oil. OR, the square o-ring could have blocked the oil's route through the cooler, if equipped. But these are total guesses on my part!

ignatz72 screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 02:51 PM
ignatz72 is offline   Reply With Quote