Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #76
Steve canyon OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Cave of Teeth

Sorry Guys i forgot this one, I did it whilst in Luang Prabang

Sign is facing the wrong way...

Myself and HP2 set of from Leot School about 12 noon and headed out to his Village, Myself and Mr Alan had put an aid parcel together, exercise books, pens, pencils and other learning things as well as some medicines and some toys all bound for the school he works at.

Much needed things.

The Lifan was loaded to the hilt, 2 up she behaved well and got the job done.

The donkey.

It was only about 50ks most of it of road but no real problem just a lot of dust, we arrived about 1.30 and the drinking started...

Fresh batch of Moonshine.

Got to try it and I liked it

We had some food and found out that the School caretaker was not about so we would have to take the stuff bound for school on Monday, no problem so we set of for the cave of Teeth.

It's a nice ride up here, with some great views and soon we reached the place and waited for the man with the keys. Mr Alan had been up here a few weeks ago and told me of the place along with the stories. It was used as an air raid shelter in the War and after that they say it was used as a prison by that Pathet Loa to detain helpers of the Americans??, I don't know but there are thousands of Teeth in there some look human other are animal.....but why somebody would put them in cases?

First up you got to cross the bridge and walk the meadow to the cave...

The bridge with our guide and hp.

HP

Nice bridge hold on tight.

It sways a bit.

Off goes our guide.

It's a beautiful spot.

The meadow.

Trail up to the Cave

The Jailer.

Inside the cave of Teeth.

The climb up is steep and hot but when you get in the cave it's even hotter, I was having problems trying to take pictures but I managed a few, the cabinets you see are full of teeth and Bone...

WOW

There is Teeth in there.

Cabinets of Teeth.

Lots of Teeth

And More.

Many questions to be answered.

There are many passages and tunnels, a caver needs to come here and check it all out, I didn't really enjoy being in there as I didn't want to get lost in the labyrinth of tunnels.

Spooky

Never know what you will find if you look.

Time for a scratch around on the floor to see what we can fine, I found what looks like and old webbing clip, very old and rusty and they guide said I could keep it so I will get it cleaned up and Mr Alan is going to get some proofing work done on some of the teeth to learn more about it, interesting stuff indeed there is no information on this cave apart from what your told....somebody knows!.

Webbing strap?

Any ideas welcome.

HP checking the Teeth.

These looked Human.

More Cabinets.

Out alive.

There are 2 cave entrances and cabinets in both...time to make our way back down.

My friend.

My guide.

On the way back we stopped and said hello to the villagers who where preparing the paddy fields. That's hard work in this heat...

Paddy field.

Happy locals who where keen to talk to me.

Then it back across the bridge and of to see where Mr H lives...

Watch your step.

Fantastic.

A quick ride to the next village and welcome to Hp's home..

Home is where the Heart is right?

He welcomed me in.

The Kitchen.

This guy lives here and teaches at the school as part of his training, he receives no money for his toil, but still he smiles...as do all the children.

Happy sister.

So happy.

These people live simple lives and are a joy to be around, we head back to his family house stopping to buy fish for supper. Hp is making BBQ fish.

Getting the fish

Dinner.

Shop owner.

She wants to see the pictures.

We head back to House get the BBQ going with a few beers and this is where I start to have a few moments of reflection on my life, I have Money, family, gadgets,love but I'm wondering who's the lucky one!.

Get cooking H.

I helped by drinking.

Hp is busy prepping the fish with Bamboo skewers each done with precision and care, so I'm left alone with my thoughts. There are people coming over to shower at the communal wash room this makes me a little uncomfortable at first I don't know where to look when the ladies start stripping off, so I position myself so I cant see, I don't think they even saw me, other elders came over looked at me and the bike and just walked on by....

Haven't done this for a long time.

Lady from the shop bringing cold beer over.

Darkness is falling and we are chatting away and then HP starts to sing, sounds a little sad and pulls on my Heart strings a little, once again I'm thinking who's the lucky one?, this boy has nothing but is full of life and committed to getting a good job to support his family, he tells me the whole story and Jesus I got a tear in my eye, he is smiling all the time....an inspiration.

HP happy as ever.

Dusk is coming.

Ahan sep Lie.

I had not felt this free for a long time and was humbled by the whole experience, such great people and his family were so well mannered it took me back...his brother spoke great English and we enjoyed the beer Laos, you know these people don't seem to dream of better but rather be happy with what they have!.

Our home for the night.

More fish more beer.

Eventually we all went inside and eat& drunk until late in the evening, I had a great time and those memories will stay with me forever, and I'm happy to share them with you. We all slept on the floor of the little house and I slept well.....thank you HP2 and your family....still cant work out who's the lucky one, me or them!

In the morning we were woken by the animals, it was like the animals where all saying good morning to each other, the village was alive and it was time to get up...

Good Morning.

HP's Sister in Law

Grandmother.

Brother.

Me having a go.

We said our goodbyes and headed back to Luang Prabang where I met his sister who supports HP schooling.....a beautiful lady who lives to help her family....

So who is the lucky one, us with our money and nice houses etc, or HP and his family who all look out and care for one and other, share everything and smile all the time....

Bopen yang.(your welcome)

Steve canyon screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 03:31 AM
Steve canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #77
biggus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Looking forward to riding the Northern Section with you next season Mate!
biggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #78
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
Wohoooooo!!! Chris mate you look like you're enjoying yourself. Good on you. Its Justin (bigntall) from the Thailand motor biking websites, hello. Have not seen you for more than 7 months it seems. Loving the report and bringing back some fond memories of trips in Lao. I know the town names your passing but not your routes. I do recognize some of the tracks, and that great river crossing outside Vilabouri you had fun with. I'm bored shitless in the states now ready for some more surgery on my arm and wanna travel along with you vicariously. Did you say there was a GPS track of your travels somewhere?

Biggus I thought you and Chris were riding together already? Ready for some more updates on the RR. And lets get another trip under our belts Biggus.

Will you be over there for rainy season Chris?

Can't wait for more.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #79
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Great RR. The land is beautiful and the people too. A few years ago I was in Louangpharbang. Took a bus ride I believe East up in the the mountains. Rented a small motor bike and went even further into the mountains where there were small villages. Found some caves like the one's you have shown, only this one was a hospital during the war. What great scenery. The people are very friendly and I was surprised how much a small woman could carry on her back! Thanks again for the great pic's and the memories.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #80
Steve canyon OP
Adventurer

Love Laos

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus View Post
Looking forward to riding the Northern Section with you next season Mate!
Yo Biggus, it was great riding the south with over March, I'm down in Koh Chang to catch up with the report....it was an epic ride mate...one the hardest I've had the pleasure of undertaking, having some one to share those moments with is what it's all about.....As for the North I have got some great leads to follow up be great to ride again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Wohoooooo!!! Chris mate you look like you're enjoying yourself. Good on you. Its Justin (bigntall) from the Thailand motor biking websites, hello. Have not seen you for more than 7 months it seems. Loving the report and bringing back some fond memories of trips in Lao. I know the town names your passing but not your routes. I do recognize some of the tracks, and that great river crossing outside Vilabouri you had fun with. I'm bored shitless in the states now ready for some more surgery on my arm and wanna travel along with you vicariously. Did you say there was a GPS track of your travels somewhere?

Biggus I thought you and Chris were riding together already? Ready for some more updates on the RR. And lets get another trip under our belts Biggus.

Will you be over there for rainy season Chris?

Can't wait for more.
Hey Justin nice to hear from you, hope them injuries are getting better mate would have been nice to see you in Laos....Biggus and I just got back from near on month...report is coming up but I got a lot of catching up to do

Tracks and trails I'm happy to share dude, I can email you them. We found some great new trails....report soon.

Don't think I will be hanging around in the rainy season, but come November the Steve Canyon project will be back in action...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgee View Post
Great RR. The land is beautiful and the people too. A few years ago I was in Louangpharbang. Took a bus ride I believe East up in the the mountains. Rented a small motor bike and went even further into the mountains where there were small villages. Found some caves like the one's you have shown, only this one was a hospital during the war. What great scenery. The people are very friendly and I was surprised how much a small woman could carry on her back! Thanks again for the great pic's and the memories.
Thanks Mcgee There is some great things to do up Luang Prabang, plus it's a really great place to chill for a day or 2, I'm looking forward to getting back up there and the cave systems are still on that over growing list...

Their a strong race, especially the women ....

Glad your enjoying the ride...

Old 04-06-2013, 04:28 AM   #81
Steve canyon OP
Adventurer

Ls36....

LS36 (Lima Site)was and American Airbase in the Secret war in Laos...

You may have already guessed but I have a fascination with the Vietnam war, although until a few years back I had never heard of the Secret War in Laos I knew a bit about the War in Vietnam, my curiosity has turned into a passion and being able to visit these famous places is priceless, to read about them is one thing, to visit them is another.

How it looked back in the day (photo Talkingproud)

So after a pretty hard day the day before I wake up still in my body Armour brush my teeth, quick coffee and I'm off, 130k's of I don't know what lay in front of me. Stock up on food and water and it's a slow start as it's bloody cold, the Lifan seems to be moving around a lot but I put it down to the worn Knobbly Tyre...first find of the day..

Booster from a Sam Missile

Guess that's Russia

The first part of the ride is nice, great views and graded roads...

Stunning

So many different landscapes in Laos

That's the way we are going

The wide open spaces soon give way to Jungle tracks and soon enough there's a river with a brand new bridge which I pay 20,000 kip to cross, no wet feet and I'm asked to sign the bridge and Invited in for dinner.

No wet feet.

Pay or get wet.

First Farang he told me.

Dinner looks a little scary so I have a drink and then set of again, the trail gets harder and harder, deep ruts and sheer drops winding up and down through the valleys, lots of flowers up here.

What sort of flower is this.

Some of the open sections where really nice to ride but it was always back into the jungle.

Great riding.

Beautiful.

I keep pressing on and then 5ks from where I'm going a sign

You have to ride 120 k's to see this sign.

The last part of the trail was nasty which always seems the way in Laos, I cant imagine trying to walk here, some of the log bridges where wheel eaters so it was full gas over them and hope for the best.

Great track

And finally after 4 hrs I'm here, beautiful sign....128ks of standing up....my legs hurt.

Getting ready for the tourists.

This is the site that greeted me after passing through the village of Ban Nakhang.

The entrance is gated.

LS36 is in there.

Another stunning area.

Not much to see for 4 hrs riding so I go for a poke around and things start coming together.

Fuel tanks.

Not much good now.

Guidance

Ok so I have my bearings I'm the little arrow head and the black strip is the run way...lets go have a look.

Left behind equipment.

40 years on

Grader.

How did that end up this way up?

Reelects of war.

Then it's onto the runway...dead ahead

Compass bearings.

Run way.

Looking at it from the other end.

Compass bearings.

Run Way

Looking down the runway.

By this time it was nearly 2pm so I went of to have a look around the village which has used all the old scrap fuel drums as fencing.

Barrel fencing.

Nothing goes to waste.

More war scrap.

Great condition after 40 years

Bombie casing

Locals working away on their weaving machines.

Lots of signs in this Ban

A simple life.

The way out.

No it's time to head back, I know what to expect so I'm not hanging around.

Lets go.

The bike looks so small in this landscape.

Stunning Laos.

I rode home as fast as I could not wanting to ride at night and had a rare delight of the sun behind me and the moon in front, sounds like and old Irish blessing.

Sun and Moon.

I spotted a Bombie casing on the back of this cart, 4 decades later they are still digging them up.

Scrap metal hunters.

It was a tough 250ks, my plan was to head north tomorrow, but biggus reminded me that February only has 28 day...shit I'm heading south tomorrow instead......

Read more about Ls36 here..

http://talkingproud.us/

Steve canyon screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 12:33 AM
Old 04-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #82
Steve canyon OP
Adventurer

Back Down The Ho Chi Minh Trail...all the way

After riding up to Ls36 I headed back to Vientiane, crossed back over into Thailand and hired a scooter to go back home, it's getting to hot to fanny around at custom's and the Lifan is tucked away in a Hotel having a rest, 3 days later I'm back in VTE and preparing to meet Biggus an inmate on adv.(Jim)

My plan for march was just ride as much Ho Chi Minh trail as I can and visit all the places of interest to me that I had been researching such as target Oscar 8 and Jim was up for it, the plan was hatched and we met on the 6th of March in Thakhet.

I had been there for a couple of days and met German dude called DC who rents bikes,turns out he rode across the Sahara on BMW650gs..

We all went for dinner and beers and DC marveled at Jim's KTM it has a winch

Suspension cost more than the Lifan! well prepped machine..

The morning of the 7th we hit the road up to a small section of Ho Chi Minh Trail and then onto Mu Gui pass, it was dusty as hell. Meet Jim

[IMG][/IMG]

Don't think this will be here much longer

We even managed an ice cream of a Vietnamese seller, nice touch on the trail.

Sign of the times

There was a lot of fires, villagers clearing land for crops I think.

Slash and Burn.

It's an easy ride to what is was last time, the steep section had been flattened out and now it's mostly wide enough for cars, more signs that the trail is disappearing.

Craters.

On the way we met up with a MAG team so we stopped and talked to them.

Hot work.

Coming in from the Fields.

The lady was the Medic, good English.

A days work.

Cleaning equipment before putting it away.

We then pressed on up to the Mu Gui which we would use as our start point, this was a very important crossing for the Vietnamese army in the war, crossing from Vietnam into Laos and then down onto the trails.

The border

A very small Jim.

Stunning

Great ride up to the top.

We headed back down to find a Hotel and change Jim's rear Tyre find some food and go over the plans for the next day, which would see us tackle a great piece of trail and some wet feet would be a big part of the day, Jim spoke great Thai which helped a lot he would interpret and I would guide.... the team was formed.

Can you do this.

The next Morning (8/3/13) we hit the road by 8am and our destination was Villabouri, it was not long before before we hit the Xe Bangfai Ford.

Stunning.

I didn't hang about and jumped straight in, made it across with only one wet boot, Jim was next with no problems, the day was looking good.

Great view point.

New bridge is coming.

We pressed on until about Lunch time then took a stop at a little place which was full of ladies. good find..

Grand Mother.

Mother

Big Sister

Little sister.

Jim

Chris

Time to get on the trails and get to our destination.

Another home made bridge.

Half a bridge.

The locals came out to see us here, after this crossing we would go into some nice single track jungle trails, very hot.

Quick come and see this.

Happy to see us.

From outer space

Big smiles, it's great to these people who are always gobsmacked, especially when you have a monster trail bike...

Back to the trails.

Not much traffic. There is a new road being built to miss all this out.

The KTM hiding behind the lifan

Nice riding.

Break in the shade.

Then it's back onto the graded section up to Villabouri where we find some rather young and old scrap metal hunters.

A dangerous profession.

Our destination reached with no problems, a great day riding. lots of work going on up here on the roads, bridges are being built and access improved. Rice and eggs for dinner and an early night as tomorrow we are going back to Ban Laboy.

9th March Villabouri to Ban Kari Pass Via laboy:

Early start today this was a hard ride last time I rode it, so we left all the stuff we did not need in the guest house and set of with what we needed, it got hard straight away into deep ruts and hanging vines.

Vines pulled me of the bike.

Then the trail opened up into a wide dusty section which was having electrical poles put up, really dusty and hard to navigate, when we reached the first Ban we had to stop and take a rest, the Ban was quiet interesting and the people curious, lots of war scrap.

No wet feet yet.

Craters.

A very hot Jim with happy locals.

Bombie Casings

Tombstones

Flower pots

Nice work.

Its everywhere.

The cafe.

Cotton machine, gears cut in wood..nice.

So many casings.

We pressed onto the ford and hard section, which to my relief had been flattened by the heavy plant, the trip up to Ban Laboy is now smooth and fast, even came across a stuck in the mud people carrier.

Stuck fast.

Then it's up to the view point, last time I was here I was exhausted...
Easy this time

Little Jim

Stunning Views

Time to get to the ford and a big surprise, a new view point of the Famous Ban Laboy Ford.
WOW

I'm happy.

Ban Laboy Ford March 2013

Electricity is coming to town, the workers are camped across the ford, first part of the ford is deep. 30 inches deeper than the air inlet on the Lifan, of course i didn't know that and dived straight in after watching a local cross, once again only 1 wet boot, fantastic.

Me across the other side.

Jim getting into the deep part. Don't know how the Lifan, the water was above the air box intake, some 30 inches...god bless her

Both safely across and we head for the village of Ban Laboy, both of us felt unwelcome here, people did not want to talk to us, or sell us drinking water so we just went ahead and had a look around, war scrap everywhere.

Hello...

War scrap

Lots of it.

Forces at work here

Big Bomb.

Enough of this and we head for the Ban Kari pass toward Vietnam and the famous cobble stones which are still in great condition after 40 years, I could picture the scene all these years ago, what a place what a sense of history, thousands of NVA people and trucks had passed down this route on their way to south Vietnam and the war.

Cobblestones, this was a special moment for me, so much history here, I'm proud to have followed my dreams of visiting these places...

See the A at the top of the map, we are about an inch to the right.

Ho Chi Minh Trail Network

Guess it looked a bit like this back in the day.

On the way to war.

Once again we did not feel welcome up here and were ignored we both had video running so there will be more to see, ladies walking around topless smoking pipes, lots of scrap metal and long stares from the locals, so we pressed onto the pass, we got stopped at the buffer zone by the local policeman who told us we could go no further, he spoke great English and made us most welcome. One of the girls burst into tears when we arrived I think she was scared of us.

police station

Local ladies making a run for it.

Great Views

Beautiful

She had to come back for here phone. Scared....

Friendly police man.

After a cool down we declined his invitation to stay and headed back to the ford to cross and find a camp for the night, lots of burning going on, Jim had to go back for his knee pads whilst i shot more video.

Slash and burn.

Harleys valley, named after a shot down american pilot

The other angle..

great views

We arrived back at the ford about 4pm, filled our camels packs and went looking for a camp site for the night.

Ban Laboy drinking water.

A water filter is a must. we could buy no water up here, man it was back in time with topless women smoking, children running around naked....

Finding camp sites is easy in Laos, we found this little place and set up camp.

Bike parking

Ready to eat and Jim had loads..

We collected fire wood and made ourselves some food, the spicy tuna was a bit much for me, and it got damn cold at night, Jim was very well prepared with a blanket and down lining, me I froze in my emergency blanket getting up many times in the night to warm myself on the fire.

Jim cutting wood.

All in all it was a good night, the stars were bright and spirits high, it had been a fantastic day covering some hallowed ground in Laos. the fire provided the mental strength...

10th March Ban Laboy to Villabouri

We popped back to the Ford and refilled our water packs then headed back stopping at the view point one more time.

Early morning haze... beautiful.

Then back to what I call the bomb village, there are bombs every where, nothing has moved in the last 2 years, so we go for a poke around to see what else we can find.

Big Bombs

Manufacturer.

Opened like a can

Bigger Bombs

Everywhere

Larger still

Forgotten

Just laying around.

Bombie Casing

Guess you can see why I call it the Bomb Village, then we find a jem..

Jim ready for war.

Make my day

An old belt fed machine gun, not in bad nick considering it's been laying around for 40 years.

Deadly I'm sure

Wooden parts missing.

Looks in good condition

Looks like this one

Dong Museum Exhibit.

Views from the Village..

Nice rock formation

Sleepy Village

Back on the trails and we find another scrap metal hunter following the heavy plant as it grades the road, this guy was from Vietnam.

The most dangerous job in the world.

We arrived back in Villabouri and took the rest of the day of and made preparations for the next few days, a welcome rest after a restless night..

I had forgotten to mention the 3 crazy Farangs on Honda Waves heading up to Laboy, t shirts and flip flops, we passed them on the way up and then saw them again as we left Ban Kari down to Ban Laboy, there plan was to sleep in the Heads mans House, one of them was Laos/American so he talked the language and could arrange things, we got some great video of them crossing the ford.....well they never found a place to stay and passed us our campsite bound for Villabouri....they would go on to make their location by 10pm, soaking wet cold and Hungry....

March 11th Villabouri to Ban Dong

Today would be a short one with some sight seeing at Dong Museum and quick dash up to the Vietnam border on the infamous route 9 and it's battles which the Museum shows a lot of in the newly opened inside...I think they have made a nice job of the whole site and have been there 3 times now to see the transformation , bikes parked inside the gates and our Lady Guide Ms Gai....Beautiful Lady.

Comrades.

The Entrance to Dong Museum.

Nice job.

Inside there are 100's pictures, paintings and Exhibits and I photographed as many as I could whilst Jim made video, interesting place to visit and only 10,000 kip each.

lots of great photos in here.

Old Maps

Listening device dropped by the Americans to monitor traffic down the Ho Chi Minh Trail.

Mobile phone.

President Kalsone Phomvhane and Ho Chi Minh sharing a joke in 1966! it's said that Ho Chi used 100's of different names he certainly is an int resting person and I was surprised to find his name hanging opposite Trafalgar square were he worked as a baker . The president look s a little at ease, wonder what the joke was about about...

Lots of new toys out the back as well.

Imagine the damage this thing done....

We also went back to the Wat for a quick look, found more craters, biggest than last time...huge

Biggest I've seen

Bikes and temples seem to complement each other..

Jim and the Guide.

The Lifan looks good behind the big Monster..

The Battery gods I think.

Nature and man.

More craters.

Battle scars

We even popped up to the Border for a quick look, then back to our guest house find some food, rice and eggs again, met some rather mental Vietnamese ladies of the night, met some guys from the forestry works who told us the owner of the house we were in had lots of war scrap hidden away, but we would have to come back another day, next time....

Jim signed up on the spot..

Forestry workers the guy on the left spoke great English..

....Then we met up with some truck drivers who were eating and drinking, I tried the Laos Kow and fresh Honey, man I threw up it's like fuel.....I would suffer tomorrow...great night.

I don't drink, give Chris the Lao Kaw...cheers

Welcome.

Chinese, Vietnamese,Laos...nice folk.

A great day indeed, tomorrow we ride the Bamboo bridge on the trail to Ta Oi, this is nasty trail as Umar found out on the big GS.......

March 12th.Ban Dong to Ta Oi...great days riding

We are doing well on our effort to get on as much trail as possible.

We still have a long way to go but the riding is great.(talking proud pic)

really enjoy this section of trail. it has everything, single track, rivers, gradients mud sand and cobblestones.

Chris don't feel so good today, self inflicted as the Hotel owner wishes us luck.

First problem today and the big KTM has a flat battery, where's the recovery vehicle...easy fix jump it from the Lifan with a bodged usb cable..

After some breakfast we hit the trail and its cold and wet, should make it even harder.

Old Russian Bridge

Chok dee

Nice View

Misty morning

Back past the cobble stretch and we meet this young lady 16 years old and 2 children already...

Very young...

Breakfast for the Children

I was here 2 years ago, nothing has changed

Great ride down to the Bamboo bridge, I marvel at this every time

Love it

Incredible work.

Jim coming down the ramp

Talk to everyone.

Sabadee

Happy Chap

Stunning piece of work

Beautiful morning

Welcoming committee.

Very friendly.

all looking at the big KTM in ore.

Back on the trail and it's riding time and this trail is brilliant.

Cobbles

Prehistoric toys that the children abandoned when they see us coming.

Little Bans with great views.

This is out of place, concrete wall with writing on in the middle of no where, reputedly and old ammo dump and the writing rings a bell, not sure if I'm right but the Ho Chi Minh Trail was called the "Trường Sơn trail" this word Truong seems present on this wall, but would they mark is so obvious...whats the story I wonder..

Any idea what it says?

What a ride

More De miners and some village folk

And another

Old and new bridge, we took the old one..loose boards everywhere.

And into Ta Oi, the big KTM is making light work of this trail, lots of grip. We have all of the day on Video and this is one great ride, time to free the mind and concentrate on whats coming up, plenty of challenges a great day riding. We would stay in Ta oi the night, not much going on here, rice and eggs again and no hot shower.....damn. Fatigue is setting in a bit but and there are some sore muscles and some new ones for me, the harder the better I say keeps you focused... .Jim and I are getting on fine and a smooth little system is in place so we don't loose each other at any point..

Steve canyon screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 12:40 AM Reason: continuation of Report/ Add video
Old 04-09-2013, 03:42 AM   #83
Steve canyon OP
Adventurer

Ta Oi to Saravan via Ban Lahap

It was at this point I remember I have a tablet so I can do this all day by day, the first few days are all above.....

Today would be another great day on the trails, we wanted to ride to Ban Lahap which links up old route 922 with route 92, Ban Lahap was just north of the junction and lead onto Target Oscar 8 which turns out to be an interesting story, this was a very important point on the trail as it was the headquarters of the 559th transport regiment of the NVA the guys who were responsible for the road building program, security and Logistics, the point were to two roads met was a choke point and a real point of interest for the bombing campaign.

Turns out that a Commanding General Vo Nguyen Giap was there so the Americans hatched the Plan to go in and either catch or kill the General and kill any other forces in encountered.

Myself and Jim are heading up route 922, it's a very small trail with many obstacles and lots of single track stuff, the morning had started with a river crossing over a make shift bridge.
Nasty little bridge.

Soon we hit a major problem in the shape of a fallen tree, we looked for another route around but could not find any way of getting the bikes through.

No way past.

Jim camouflaged.

Hard work looking through it for a route

Back we go to hook up with route 92..there are craters every where round here.

Dense Forrest

Look before you leap

Past Ban Lahap and onto a single trail up to Oscar 8, craters everywhere huge ones, as we get up the trail we get stopped by a local who does not want us to go any further...stop go back....I could see another couple of guys further up in the bushes and obeyed his wishes and turned back, wonder what they were up to, the whole valley was on fire as they burnt it down...hope there was no UXO there....

The reason for all the craters was the B52's had softened the target up before the planned raid went ahead which out much success it would seem, the NVA had the place well covered and put up a fierce fight....I don't think they got there man.

Another great day trail riding as we ended up in Saravan in a nice Hotel, wondering why they stopped us, I will be going back for a look some time, lots of video again.

Nice.

Jim washing his bike.

Another Beautiful day...

Steve canyon screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 07:54 AM
Old 04-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #84
RDT953
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Brings back memories

Thanks Steve, your words and pics bring back the memories of this very same trail I did with a mate a couple of years back. From my understanding the Bamboo Bridge is pulled down for the flood season and reconstructed when the water goes down. Like you say it's a brilliant piece of local civil engineering.
Still hoping to get back to that part of the world later this year. I'll be in contact.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #85
gavo
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,671
Thanks for the update Chris still really enjoying the read and pic's , Gavin

gavo screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 01:29 AM
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #86
Brian_BKK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Epic reporting..

I was going to bed an hour ago.. but stayed up reading this report..

Great stuff.. keep it coming.

Cheers
Brian
Brian_BKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #87
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
Chris I'm loving the report. You're providing good therapy for the injured. Did you guys do a really fun section that went from Saravan to Phin? With about 80 KM's of fun singletrack/atv width stuff going up and down into washes and gullies with rock ledges etc? It's sooo much fun on a small bike but wrestling Jim's 990 through would be some work? Though I've seen Jim wrestle that thing through some amazing stuff before.

Hope you've found a relaxing spot on Koh Chang to rest yer bones. What month will you be flying back home? Doc says he wants me in the states for another few weeks to monitor the arm but once I get the release I'll be flying back, maybe we can cross paths before you're departure?
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #88
stan.riner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Enjoying the read. My wife and I are moving to Vietnam for work and I would like to ride some of the neighboring countries. I'm impressed at how tough you guys are. Thanks for putting all of the effort in to post everything and tell the stories that go along with what you're seeing.

Stan from Hawaii.
stan.riner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #89
alrikki
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi Chris, alex from UK here, good to see ya in VTE
u back home now? where is Jim?
alrikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #90
Steve canyon OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT953 View Post
Thanks Steve, your words and pics bring back the memories of this very same trail I did with a mate a couple of years back. From my understanding the Bamboo Bridge is pulled down for the flood season and reconstructed when the water goes down. Like you say it's a brilliant piece of local civil engineering.
Still hoping to get back to that part of the world later this year. I'll be in contact.
Glad your enjoying it...

I wondered about that bridge, must be a big job to take down, even more so putting it up, I would imagine it will all be gone in a few years...

Road upgrades are moving pretty fast now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavo View Post
Thanks for the update Chris still really enjoying the read and pic's , Gavin
Hey Gavo, remember the bridge outside LP? the Bamboo one, it was gone in late Feb, they had a lot of big plant there I think they were making a ford?, glad you still along for the ride...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_BKK View Post
Epic reporting..

I was going to bed an hour ago.. but stayed up reading this report..

Great stuff.. keep it coming.

Cheers
Brian
Thanks Brian, we can sleep when we are dead...

Ride on