User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
cyrilgrey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
KLR650 Flooded

So... my 2008 KLR 650 got flooded. Salt water. No insurance. Ideas? Toss it to salvage people? Part it out?
cyrilgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
Motoxplorer
n00b

Oddometer: 4
swamped

I would get the water out of the engine if it were mine. It is even possible no water entered the cylinder, if the stroke was on compression, both valves would be closed. Hose it down and soak the entire bike with wd-40. Sorry. Joe
Motoxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
cyrilgrey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So it's salvageable? I figured the electronics and all, being shot, it would be a write off.

Not sure about the engine, it's been sitting there all week before I could get to it. I can see salt on the contacts, wiring, exhaust. I think the water got above the engine. I'll hose it off and wd40 it, then break it down later.

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrilgrey View Post
So... my 2008 KLR 650 got flooded. Salt water. No insurance. Ideas? Toss it to salvage people? Part it out?
After a good hosing off, replace the engine oil and drain the airbox...Then why not see if it'll start?
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
Oh, well in that case...you're probably look at junking/parting it out unless you want to completely rebuild the bike. But if the water didn't get into the engine (through the vent or the intake, I'd imagine), it could be OK and that's the most expensive thing other than the electronics. Everything else would be simple mechanical rebuilding, although time-consuming and still costly. If you're one of those people who couldn't stand riding a "salvage" bike, definitely just start over. If you don't have adequate time or cash you'll probably never get it running well again.

Sorry about the loss...hope that was the worst of it!
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
cyrilgrey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Considering my klr gave me one problem after another, and doesn't sound like it will improve...

I don't know, it's worth a shot.

That's about the worst of it for me, fortunately. I can't care too much about losing material possessions, even motorcycles.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
cyrilgrey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I wouldn't mind one of these:

Old 11-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #8
cyrilgrey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Someone wants to buy my bike and repair it.

What would be a fair price considering it's now a salvage bike? I have no idea.

Undamaged value was 3500.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #9
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,427
Trade on even an unscathed 2009 as a comparison is only about $2,600-,2800, friend of mine just traded his '09 on a new Tenere.

I am thinking a "salted" 2008 might be in the $1200-$1700 range, or part it out. The front and back wheel assemblies are quite valuable for those that want to be able to have another set ready to drop in to change tire applications.

Just a guess my friend. Sorry to hear of this.

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,080
I would flush the engine a couple of times with kerosene or diesel fuel, wash out the fuel tank, clean the carb and air filter then see if it ran. What do you have to use? Your entire investment will be a couple of hours and a couple of bucks worth of diesel or kerosene and an oil change. You can try to start on the kerosene or diesel just to see if it runs.

If it ran then I would get it hot and change the oil a couple of times with some kind of dirt cheap oil. Then head to the marine store to buy some salt away and start washing the hell out of everything. Even then it will likely give you problems. But all my bikes got regular salt water dunkings when I lived in SC and I got used to cleaning contacts and rust.

I can live with dealing with salt water issues if I got it running. If I didn't get it running either insurance or part it out on eBay with full disclosure about why. I have succesfully rescued a couple of outboards lost overboard. So, to me, it is worth a shot.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 10:00 AM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #11
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,418
ya, drain all the fluids, rinse every electrical connecter with soap & water a couple times, then spray them heavy with WD40. run & do a couple oil changes. might need a battery?
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #12
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,578
Sorry, but from everything I've ever read about bikes soaked in salt water for days, you're screwed. Salt water and electrical steel, and aluminum bits don't mix. It doesn't take long for salt crystals to destroy those parts.

If you don't have insurance, you don't have much to loose except time. WD40 dispurses water well, but does nothing for salt. The only way to get rid of the salt is with LOTS of fresh water. You could try to do what marine conservationists do, which is soak it in a fresh water bath until all of the salt is leached out, then do the WD40 etc.