Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
GreaseMonkey OP
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,150
What would a water valve like this be called?

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out a hot water valve and I don't really know what to look/ask for, so I'm hoping to get some enlightenment from the collective wisdom here!

Basically, I am wanting to mount a simple on/off valve on the back side of a wall and have the stem protrude though. Ideally it would be a 1/2" ball valve but it could be larger or smaller (3/8-3/4) if need be. I would also like the handle to be a lever so you can tell if it is on or off.

A web search brings up "long stem ball valve" or "ball valve with extension stem" but I can't seem to find a local source and neither of those has a mounting tab, which wouldn't be hard to do but I'd prefer it to have one already if possible.

Anyway, can someone tell me the name of what I am actually looking for? I didn't think it would be this difficult to find a valve like this, LOL.

GM
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
GreaseMonkey OP
Preshrunk & Cottony

Here's a pic of what I found, which is not necessarily what I need:
Old 11-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
the_gr8t_waldo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999
you could always make a "stem extention" long enough to extend thru the wall to the location you want, but the stresses on the pipe and valve handle will incress with length. i would think that since you indicate that youre adding the valve to existing piping, you'd be miles ahead by simply piping the valve to the "location" side and simplly use a ball valve...the open verses closed position is harder to confuse, with the valve right there. if it's an appearence thing you could pipe it into the middle of the wall and place a suitable cover/access plate to conceal ( handle inside or out-as you prefer).

the_gr8t_waldo screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 09:55 AM
the_gr8t_waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
chacha
CAT Herder

Oddometer: 2,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gr8t_waldo View Post
you could always make a "stem extention" long enough to extend thru the wall to the location you want, but the stresses on the pipe and valve handle will incress with length. i would think that since you indicate that youre adding the valve to existing piping, you'd be miles ahead by simply piping the valve to the "location" side and simplly use a ball valve...the open verses closed position is harder to confuse, with the valve right there. if it's an appearence thing you could pipe it into the middle of the wall and place a suitable cover/access plate to conceal ( handle inside or out-as you prefer).

The stresses should be the same no matter how long the extension rod is as long as the valve handle remains the same length. If you increase the length of the handle itself then you would increase the amount of torque.

Anyway you will want to search in Grainger.com for a ball valve stem extensions

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...subset&N=13387
Old 11-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
GreaseMonkey OP
Preshrunk & Cottony

Thanks for the link!

Of course the sad part is these are $40 each, so I suspect I'll be making up my own extensions for some regular (read cheap) ball valves.

I was hoping there might be some sort of valve made for shower enclosures that I could modify or simply use as is.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
chacha
CAT Herder

Oddometer: 2,673
They do sell extension kits as well.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/APO...WL2?Pid=search

This one is 25 bucks. From the picture it just looks like it is a coupling nut with a notched outer sleeve.

You can get coupling nut that fits the valve stem and then make your own PVC notch sleeve for about the same price or less I bet.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,130
Is the valve going to be used on a daily basis or as a an emergency or service shut off? I take it since you are willing to have it sticking out of the wall you aren't worried about the way it looks. How bout using a standard valve that without a handle mounted to it but the stem is adaptable to some type of socket? Put a hole in the wall with a grommet and stick the wrench through the hole to operate the valve.

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote