User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Tread OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
BMW Tall Windshield for R1200GS

I'm looking for some feedback on the BMW tall windshield. Aparently it is 3" taller and wider. I see some online dealers selling them for around $115, so the price is good. It is cheaper than adding the Touratech windshield extension, which I am also considering. I know there are a lot of aftermarket windshields, but I prefer the look of the BMW shields. I have a Givi AF330, which is a nice windshield, but I am looking for something a little less obtrusive and one that blends with the bike's lines better. I tried the GSA screen, that was an expensive test. My biggest problem with that was with my GPS mounted to the GSA specific windshield support, the GPS would shake way too much. The GPS is now mounted to the optional GPS mount bar that BMW sells for the GS. That works great.

EDIT: Here is a link to the BMW tall windshield: http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/r1200...ld-p-1818.html

2010 BMW R1200GS
2012 Yamaha WR250R

Tread screwed with this post 02-14-2011 at 11:05 AM
Tread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
RottVet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Tall Windsheild

I love my tall windsheild. Most posts I have seen are critical of this choice because it is not enough protection. For me,at 5'11", it is enough protection so the wind just hits the top of my helmet, and get minimal wind on the sides. It does some flexing at speed, so it definately will not be stable enough to mount electronic devices on. As you say, the price is nice as well, save that money for some bar-backs and better foot pegs! Two thumbs up from me!
RottVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
zitro79
BMW bitch

Oddometer: 179
I am 6'3'' with a 33'' inseam and I have the GS's tall windshield. I found it to be a couple of inches too short, so I bought a laminar lip which solved my problems. I also installed the GSA winglets... they made a huge difference. I know there are windshields out there that give you better protection, but I didn't want to get rid of all the wind behind the windshield. At least for me, the tall windshield + winglets + laminar lip are the perfect combo.
Regarding the GPS mount, I have my Zumo 660 mounted on the headlight/instrument/windshield support arch. It works great!
zitro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
Swinefahrt
RooteR

Oddometer: 537
Even at 5'7' with a 30" inseam the standard GS windscreen was insufficient. I replaced it with the tall BMW windshield and its has been smooth sailing. Have you installed the GSA winglets? These really help reduce the turbulence in my opinion.

If its got tits or wheels, it'll give you problems!
Swinefahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
Tread OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes, I just installed the winglets a few days ago. Not possible to ride yet. I am 6' 0" with a 32" inseam and I ride with the seat in the tall position. I'm not looking for still air, I just don't want any booming sound. I just ordered the Wunderlich version of the Torbinators (Vario Screen Saver) and I think I'll go ahead and get the BMW tall windshield. Hopefully with the the somewhat larger shield, and the added adjustability that the Wunderlich bracket provides, I will be able to find a combination that works for me.

2010 BMW R1200GS
2012 Yamaha WR250R
Old 02-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
staticPort
Meditrider

Oddometer: 136
It's a bargain . . .

Not often you can say that about a genuine BMW accessory, but the "Tall" windshield @ $115 is a great deal. Because it is cut a bit higher over the headlights it lets more "balancing" airflow in and reduces buffeting compared to the stock screen. It also can be "raked" a bit farther back, so that, for me (6' tall, 32"inseam) it provides smoother airflow than stock.

It's made by National Cycle and is very strong, by the way. Because I like quite a bit of airflow as long as it is smooth and quiet, I shortened mine a bit, and use a Wunderlich gizmo to rake it back 20mm more than stock, but that's just me. With Adventure winglets installed it rivals an RT for comfort.

In short, it's the best Value of any windshield out there (and I've tried them all).
Old 02-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
Kenadian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Tall Shield, Winglets, Laminar Lip= A+

I have the above combo on my new 2011 GS. Works Fabulous!! Quiet and enough protection for me at 5' 11" and 31" inseam. I have been pleasantly surprised at how well this works. I am currently on a trip from British Columbia and working my way down to Southern California. Had some cool rainy days and have been happy with the protection.
Kenadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
5'9" using a low Sergeant seat, I really like this screen.

Mine is a bit warped side to side, so it is offset by one slot on the side tension screws from the other side. As well, it fits really tight on the sides so it isn't easy to adjust the angle. I have found a position that works and just leave it there.

Be sure to order the metal bracket mounts for the front.

Buffeting is greatly reduced at higher speeds.

Plan to keep this on for the time being.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:19 AM   #9
slojon
SLOJON

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottVet View Post
I love my tall windsheild. Most posts I have seen are critical of this choice because it is not enough protection. For me,at 5'11", it is enough protection so the wind just hits the top of my helmet, and get minimal wind on the sides. It does some flexing at speed, so it definately will not be stable enough to mount electronic devices on. As you say, the price is nice as well, save that money for some bar-backs and better foot pegs! Two thumbs up from me!
Does it shake and shimmy without the frame behind it?
slojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:08 PM   #10
thedriver240
TheDriver240

Oddometer: 18
BMW Tall shield

I have an 06 GS with a Sargent low seat and pullback risers. I am 5'8", 30" inseam and like all of you found the original wind screen too short with too much turbulence.

Two years ago I bought the BMW Tall shield with a 20% discount from Chicago BMW, One for me and one for my buddy, what a bargain! I installed it on my bike and the first thing I noticed was that it was not molded with a flip at the top like the original. It is cut higher over the headlight or rather the holes for the mounting screws are drilled lower keeping it from standing as far upright . Seeing over it was no problem at all. I immediately noticed an improvement and I liked it. After a few 5,000 km + trips I started to find that the turbulence around my helmet was not much better and on windy days I was getting a load booming. At that point I was disappointed in the performance and started looking for something else. I decided upon the GSA windscreen and ordered it from Chicago again with 20% discount and installed it on my first day of vacation and set off on an 8,000 km trip. I am very satisfied with this set up and found the wind protection to be so good that I rode most of the time with my visor open!

I regret not buying the GSA windscreen first instead of wasting my money on the Tall GS windscreen.

The only down side and it a BIG one is the price at over $500.

Just my 2cents

thedriver240 screwed with this post 02-15-2011 at 04:06 PM
thedriver240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #11
Mr.Efficiency
Adventure Wuss

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitro79 View Post
I am 6'3'' with a 33'' inseam and I have the GS's tall windshield. I found it to be a couple of inches too short, so I bought a laminar lip which solved my problems. I also installed the GSA winglets... they made a huge difference. I know there are windshields out there that give you better protection, but I didn't want to get rid of all the wind behind the windshield. At least for me, the tall windshield + winglets + laminar lip are the perfect combo.
Regarding the GPS mount, I have my Zumo 660 mounted on the headlight/instrument/windshield support arch. It works great!
same here. lovin it.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:19 PM   #12
paulhdick
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
I have one, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tread View Post
I'm looking for some feedback on the BMW tall windshield. Aparently it is 3" taller and wider. I see some online dealers selling them for around $115, so the price is good....
I have one for my '09GS ... and I am happy with it. I never felt the turbulence was that bad on the stock screen, and the taller screen is better, but .... I typically get about 40.5mpg with the way I ride on my GS. When I put the taller screen on I noticed an immediate drop to 38.5mpg. I put the stock one back on and my mpg is back to 40.5. At about 1/2 cents per mile its not something I worry about but it does make a difference.

I use the tall screen when the weather is colder but will keep the stock screen for warmer weather. I have heard complaints with the BMW tall screen but I do not have any! It is a good value for the money ...

09 R1200GS

Been riding pretty much all my life. Raced SoCal desert in the 60's early 70's.
paulhdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #13
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
5'10" here. I have the tall shield and love it.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #14
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,353
I bought a tall windshield from another inmate and decided to take a comparison picture for everyone's benefit.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #15
Tread OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I received and installed my new Tall windshield and it looks good. Haven't had a chance to test it yet. It is made with a different process than the standard BMW windshield. I believe the standard one is cast into its shape and the Tall one is formed by starting with a flat sheet then cutting and heating it to form it.

Here's another picture showing the size. The Givi Airflow is on the left and the standard windshield is on the right.

2010 BMW R1200GS
2012 Yamaha WR250R