Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 05:03 AM   #1
mrpete64 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Inflatable ballon to lift up heavy bikes?

I was watching a car show, one Saturday, and some company made a device that you could insert a hose into the exhaust pipe and place this flat baloon under a car and it would blow up and lift the car up so that one could take the tire off. I often thought that such a device would be great to help someone lift a bike up enough to get it into a position to finish lifting it up. Most bikes, loaded with gear/bags/etc. are usually too heavy for a person to lift.
I know that one should not ride alone but as all of you know...we all have done it at some time or another.
Once this device was done with its task...all you had to do is open a valve and stand on it and flatten it out and put it back in your car trunk.
I have seen videos of little woman lifting Goldwings, etc., but I have never been able to do it.
If you make one of these I will buy it!
Old 10-28-2012, 05:17 AM   #2
Scorch_TX
Suzuki disciple

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete64 View Post
I know that one should not ride alone but as all of you know...we all have done it at some time or another.
!
What??
Old 10-28-2012, 05:19 AM   #3
Peirre O`Bollox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
So you head out into the backwoods solo on your bike, miles from anywhere, you fall over and your leg is pinned under it. You reach around to retrieve said balloon out of your luggage, (Bearing in mind a lot of modern bikes have a tilt switch which cuts out the engine when the bike falls over). Then while the exhaust is burning your leg, you hook it up to the bikes exhaust and inflate it. Then once you`ve successfully freed yourself from your predicament. You stand the bike up you "open a valve and stand on it and flatten it out and put it back in your car trunk".

What puzzles me is where did the car come from??
Old 10-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,396
There are an awful lot of hot spots on yer bike!
Old 10-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
You will need to have a fuel injected bike and a means of defeating the tip over switch to keep your bike running long enought to inflate tha bag (as well as a nearly full fuel tank), then hope that your oil pump pickup stays submereged to lubricate the engine parts while your running your bike laying on it's side.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I have an Bushmaster exhaust jack for my Land Cruisers, They work great and only need a couple psi. to inflate, If there was a small motorcycle sized one , I could see it being somewhat usable.

My usage some years ago...

Old 10-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
Ducatiparts.110mb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
If you run the engine with the bike on its side then the oil will fall away from the pickup in the sump and it'll seize after a minute or so.
Ducatiparts.110mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:10 AM   #8
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Ive also used the Bushmaster lift bag before. Works great when you get a truck stuck in deep sand; inflate the bag under the middle of the truck, fill in the holes under front and rear tires, switch sides, repeat, drive away.

For a bike however...IMPO, if you cant lift it solo, you shouldnt be a)riding it in the first place, b)riding it alone. My rule of thumb is to not have a bike I cant lift by myself. Reason being is I dont ride with anyone, pretty much ever. In 7 years and approx 80k miles, Ive probably ridden 200 miles with another person. My KLR and my F650GS are both possible to pick up solo, even fully loaded. Its the main reason the biggest bike Ill consider is the F800GS. I want to be able to load it up and go, solo, and if I drop it I can pick it back up.

As far as getting my my leg caught under the bike, only had it happen once. Spend half an hour trying to push the bike off your leg to get out from under it and youll learn real quickly that its better to just bail off. Ever since that time, if I start to lose it and know I cant recover, I just bail and let the bike go. Better than getting trapped under it. Sure, shit happens, but so far (knock on wood) its only happened the one time.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
kneeslider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
lifting with air

BullBag was a brand of lift bags several years back. I kept one in my 4x4 for use on the beach, used at only a couple of times to get others unstuck. I've often thought of one for motorcycles, a wedged shape that would lift the downed bike to greater than 45 degrees. So far everything I've found have been to big or to expensive!
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #10
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Possibly the goofiest thread of the last week.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #11
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,515
Offload bike...dig holes under the wheels, tip bike into said holes....get out of the holes, reload and go.

Yeah....been there and I shouldn't have been there alone!

Be careful if a bystander comes to your help, he may just step on your leg, the one with all the weight on it and rip out your Achille's tendon in his excitement. A few months on crutches and them smaller arms of mine could lift just about anything.

You may want to carry some webbing straps instead and attach them somewhere for better leverage/grip, hard to find good grip on most bikes nowadays.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #12
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
If you don't have the physical strength to dead lift a tipped over motorcycle, it's probably heavier than you should be riding.

Just sayin'.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
lifting bike

Watch how easy it is to lift a Harley.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ6_2VqSHBw
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #14
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

Oddometer: 1,084
did this a while ago

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798254
Vermont Covered Bridges
Spinalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #15
Adios Pantalones
AdventureDeficitDisorder

Oddometer: 2,332
There are zillion youtubes on lifting a bike. I've seen a 100 pound woman pick up a goldwing.
Practice on your lawn.