User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
crunchiespg OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
views on 2013 WR250R?

im thinking of getting a smaller dual sport style bike, to commute about 25km each way to work, do some off road and maybe occassionally load up with some gear and take some weekend rides..

i have considered the ktm 690, but as im fairly novice at off road riding despite being very experienced on road, it might be a bit much, and not a big improvement over my 990 for off road stuff.. so im thinking of checking out the wr250r.

i also considered the drz400s, but it seems like the 250 will do highway speeds just fine, and be a lot more friendly off road, with better economy. and to be honest the slightly slower speed appeals for just cruising around sight seeing..

so, wr250r owners, do you like them? any issues? whats maintenance like?
any obvious problems that need addressing?
cheers
crunchiespg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
Sidehil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Read my buddies ride report wr250r WA to AK, by the
time he is done it should answer a bunch of your questions .:
Sidehil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
crunchiespg OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidehil View Post
Read my buddies ride report wr250r WA to AK, by the
time he is done it should answer a bunch of your questions .:
link?? cheers
:)
Old 07-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
matt33
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I've owned three WR250R's including a 2013. They are great bikes; very practical and reliable. However, it took my a while to listen to my heart and spring for a KTM.

I finally broke down a few months ago and got a 2013 KTM 690 Enduro. It is awesome. It's only slightly heavier than the WRR and weighs about the same as a DRZ400. The 690 seems as good in technical stuff as the WRR, and to me it blows the WRR away everywhere else. I used 6th gear pretty sparingly in the WRR, I use it all the time on the KTM and it still accelerates very quickly at highway speed. I rip up dirt roads on the 690 like a mad man. It's as fun a bike as I've ever ridden.

All of the bikes you mention are great machines, but I think that the KTM is worth the extra $3,500 over the WRR (if buying new).

Edit to add some stuff:
The WRR gave me roughly 65 MPG. I get 55 - 61 MPG with the KTM (better than I expected). The service intervals are pretty similar between the 690 and 250. The 690 does require a valve inspection every 10,000km, the WRR only needs the valves looked at every 26k miles (not sure how many KM that is, but it's a lot). Oil changes are easy on both bikes, but the KTM has two oil filters instead of one.
matt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt33 View Post
I've owned three WR250R's including a 2013. They are great bikes; very practical and reliable. However, it took my a while to listen to my heart and spring for a KTM.

I finally broke down a few months ago and got a 2013 KTM 690 Enduro. It is awesome. It's only slightly heavier than the WRR and weighs about the same as a DRZ400. The 690 seems as good in technical stuff as the WRR, and to me it blows the WRR away everywhere else. I used 6th gear pretty sparingly in the WRR, I use it all the time on the KTM and it still accelerates very quickly at highway speed. I rip up dirt roads on the 690 like a mad man. It's as fun a bike as I've ever ridden.

All of the bikes you mention are great machines, but I think that the KTM is worth the extra $3,500 over the WRR (if buying new).

Edit to add some stuff:
The WRR gave me roughly 65 MPG. I get 55 - 61 MPG with the KTM (better than I expected). The service intervals are pretty similar between the 690 and 250. The 690 does require a valve inspection every 10,000km, the WRR only needs the valves looked at every 26k miles (not sure how many KM that is, but it's a lot). Oil changes are easy on both bikes, but the KTM has two oil filters instead of one.
Sounds to me like in your last paragraph you made a case for the WRR
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,956
I have a 2008 Yam WRR and a 2012 KTM690R that replaced my KTM 950. I rode my 950 for 7 years all over the continent. My opinions are as follows:

1. The Yamaha is a bit like riding a scooter around town. But it is very good on more technical off road tracks. Probably better than me as AZTom once showed me on Turkey Creek. It is also quite good traveling distances if you have it equipped for that.
2. The KTM will do everything the little Yamaha will do, except for a lot faster if you have the knack. It is every bit as quick as the KTM twins up to about 100mph. Probably the fastest thumper ever produced for public consumption.
3. I have never ridden a better motorcycle for traveling than my old 950. It was a friendly bike for exploring the distant dirt roads of the great southwest. I'd have replaced it with a new 990 except for the fact that I struggled to pick it up out of the mud when I was solo. The 690 seemed almost as good for traveling, but is 180lbs lighter.

Hard to beat that little Yamaha. It is a fun little bike once you get used to its odd power delivery.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
crunchiespg OP
Studly Adventurer

The reason the 250 appeals over the 690 is I can likely get one for half the price, be better on gas for commuting and less cost to run in terms of tyres and stuff. And will likely be more than enough for me to get into some good off roading.

And if it takes me an hour longer on a full day highway type ride so be it.

I like the thought of enjoying small capacity bikes again like I used to in Europe. 8 hours each way on a 2 stroke Vespa to the scooter rallies makes any other bike seem like a Goldwing. Lol

Decisions. Decisions.

But excluding my choice of bike. Any issues with the wrr that need to be fixed? Like the side stand on my 990.

Also. What's it like for power supplies? Any factory accessory wiring available for heated grips and a 12v socket? Or is a fuzeblock the way to go?
Old 07-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,167
Crunchie:

The main reason I went with the WR are the service intervals. It's basically about as maintenance free as you can get on a bike. Yes, it's down on power...but that won't limit how far out in the boonies you can get relative to the KTM. I've chased my brother around, me on my WR - him on a 250 2stroke dirt bike. Man, that silly starter button really pissed him off...

Sure, I was behind him by 30 seconds from point A to B. And when we got home he was going to do a full teardown on the bike. Meanwhile, I parked mine, hooked it up to the charger and called it good.

350 watt alternator in the WR means extra lights, grips, evest, gps, usb charger...all at once. It's lovely...

The WR will do it all. Just a bit slower than others.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
matt33
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Sounds to me like in your last paragraph you made a case for the WRR
Yeah, it does kind of read that way. I was just trying to keep it real by pointing out the differences based on my experience.

The MPG difference is really pretty negligible to me (58 vs 65). The KTM holds over one gallon more full which to me is really nice. Maintenance differences to me are barely worth mentioning.

The night and day difference is in performance; the KTM keeps me grinning from ear to ear.
matt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #10
crunchiespg OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-K View Post
Crunchie:

The main reason I went with the WR are the service intervals. It's basically about as maintenance free as you can get on a bike. Yes, it's down on power...but that won't limit how far out in the boonies you can get relative to the KTM. I've chased my brother around, me on my WR - him on a 250 2stroke dirt bike. Man, that silly starter button really pissed him off...

Sure, I was behind him by 30 seconds from point A to B. And when we got home he was going to do a full teardown on the bike. Meanwhile, I parked mine, hooked it up to the charger and called it good.

350 watt alternator in the WR means extra lights, grips, evest, gps, usb charger...all at once. It's lovely...

The WR will do it all. Just a bit slower than others.
Yeh that's what I'm thinking. It often seems those touring on the smaller bikes have more fun.

Is the wiring for electronics there or do you have to add your own? Like my ktm has two spare connectors behind the dash for heated grips etc?
Old 07-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #11
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
Yeh that's what I'm thinking. It often seems those touring on the smaller bikes have more fun.

Is the wiring for electronics there or do you have to add your own? Like my ktm has two spare connectors behind the dash for heated grips etc?

I never saw any spare connectors. I just added my own, piece of cake.

As to smaller bikes being more fun... I did Alaska - Prudhoe, Top of the World, etc. on my R12GS. When rolling through Canada's BC ad Yukon I never found any real reason to go over about 60mph. I mean, there was no real traffic, it was peaceful, the scenery was spectacular. There just wasn't any single reason to use all the HP the GS had. I trolled a lot of highways in 4th... The WR at 55mph would have been just as effective.

Smaller and lighter just plain made more sense to me after that trip.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:30 AM   #12
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt33 View Post
Yeah, it does kind of read that way. I was just trying to keep it real by pointing out the differences based on my experience.

The MPG difference is really pretty negligible to me (58 vs 65). The KTM holds over one gallon more full which to me is really nice. Maintenance differences to me are barely worth mentioning.

The night and day difference is in performance; the KTM keeps me grinning from ear to ear.
Shhhh.I just bought a wr to become a more competent off road rider so I can replace both of my bikes with a 690. Don't tell
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:39 AM   #13
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
WRr

I have an 08 WRr. Rode an XR650L prior. The WRr overall is a far superior machine. The engine is smoother, ergos better, far easier to ride off-road, and more comfortable on road. It does lack the low-end torque of course, but I adapted to its engine characteristics (rev it and 14/49 gearing). I commute 40 miles one way on this bike almost daily during the riding season. Spoon on some knobbies for trips up North on the trails and she is ready to trail ride for the weekend.

In my opinion, when taking in multiple factors, it is easily the best smaller dual sport on the market (price, servicing/reliability, and usability/versatility), and competes well with larger dual sports very well. I have put over 9000 miles on this bike in the last 1.5 years, and have done only oil changes, sprocket/chain and tires. You know, the usual wear items, in fact it really did not need the sprocket/chain, I just wanted lower gearing.
Oil changed @ 14300... filter next
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:49 AM   #14
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
WRr again

Oh and I run heated grips, lights (not pictured) and GPS off the bikes 350w stator...

https://sphotos-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/h...65326305_o.jpg
Oil changed @ 14300... filter next
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #15
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,496
I just bought a KLX250S, out the door price on a leftover was $4509. Still have to pay my state's sales tax, so about $4800 all said and done.

Here's an excellent write-up concerning both bikes. It's written by a self-proclaimed novice, and at the very least will give you his views on the WR.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370020

I'm very happy that I bought the KLX. I'm slowly learning that smaller bikes are more fun in most situations. From my reading a WR is a better bike, I just didn't think it was $2000 better for my use and riding style. I'm not a fast off-road rider, I just want something to reliably get there. The KLX seems to be doing that well.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote