Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Is a soft terrain tyre hard or soft compound?

Would a soft terrain tyre be a harder or softer compound than a hard terrain tyre?
Old 07-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,392
I would think that the rubber would be softer than a hard terrain compound. At least, that's my experience.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I would think that the rubber would be softer than a hard terrain compound. At least, that's my experience.
It feels as if made of stone. It's a Dunny D755.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,826
How old is the tire?

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
How old is the tire?
Shoot, brand new to me, I think it is about a year or so old. It has never been mounted.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
How old is the tire?
Oh I get it, no, I mean the rubber is fine but the compound is vary hard. Way harder than the stock tyre on my 2001 XR400R which is what I am replacing it with.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Hard for soft , soft for hard.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Hard for soft , soft for hard.
Now see, that is what I thought. Sounds completely logical because you need a soft tyre to grip the hard track, hard tyre to plow the soft loamy stuff.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,392
Then why are my Motoz Desert H/T (hard terrain) tires so much more hard when brand new, than my Motoz Tractionator S/T (soft terrain) tires?

From their site:

What S/T, H/T, I/T means.

S/T = Soft terrain (loose, sandy loam, pine forest, clay) great traction, shorter wear life.

I/T = Intermediate (mix of everything) all round traction, medium wear life.

I-H/T = Between Intermediate and Hard Terrain (hi speed Safari - Outback). Long wear life.

H/T = Hard Terrain (gravel roads, rocky fire trails, hard pack desert and sand). Extreme.

In other words, Soft, Middle, Hard and Extreme Hard.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,362
Compounds and terrain ranked tires are generally in reference to Moto-X racing. The tire manufacturers don't really care too much about developing tires for casual trail riders.

Places like Southwick with lots of Sand require a Soft terrain tire, the lugs are spaced far apart and are of a harder compound so they dig as deep into to terrain as possible.

A track with a "Blue Groove" is considered a "hard terrain" and requires a tire with closely spaced shorter knobs made of a soft sticky compound.

If you ride a "Soft Terrain" tire on rocky trails you'll start throwing knobs off the tire fairly quickly, because they knobs are stiff and break off instead of flexing and conforming to the surface.

Dukeryder screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 09:24 PM
Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #11
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
Compounds and terrain ranked tires are generally in reference to Moto-X racing. The tire manufacturers don't really care too much about developing tires for casual trail riders.

Places like Southwick with lots of Sand require a Soft terrain tire, the lugs are spaced far apart and are of a harder compound so they dig as deep into to terrain as possible.

A track with a "Blue Groove" is considered a "hard terrain" and requires a tire with closely spaced shorter knobs made of a soft sticky compound.

If you ride a "Soft Terrain" tire on rocky trails you'll start throwing knobs off the tire fairly quickly, because they knobs are stiff and break off instead of flexing and conforming to the surface.
I noticed the tyre on my XR400R which is stock, has a little wider spacing than the new tyre. As well, it is softer in compound, you can FEEL it. I also heard that they suck for dual sporting becuase of the soft compound. Which is kinda not true, they work OK on both street and dirt but suck on hard packed fire roads BADLY! I will try this Duunny since I bought it new for 40 bucks. I am toying with going with both a set of supermoto wheels and or just lacing up my stock hubs with 17s but I really love having the dirt wheels as well. So this time I will probably just wait for a used set of sumo wheels and keep the perfect stock wheels and tyres for the DS rides. This is still with the stock tyre.