User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
norcalstew OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
640 wheel swap

I've been looking at replacing my banged up front rim on the Adv 640 and found a 525 complete wheel for sale. The hub part numbers are different. I'm wondering if the difference is that the 640 hub can mount dual rotors. The forks are the same, the axles too. Has anyone tried this? I actually own a 525 and can try the swap but its stored far away right now. Thought I'd ask here first. Thanks.
06... Was a good year for me
norcalstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
rob748
resident alien !!!!

Oddometer: 829

the 05 up had the larger axle / forks from a 950 and the same butter rim, dont think the 525 will fit, but if the axle is the same part # then you could be in luck.
i just replaced the rim with the 950 se rim which is a 1.8 dirt star.
it all depends on what riding you do, i went with the narrow rim to run mx front tyres
rob748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,364
Edit: Correction below.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger

LukasM screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 05:49 AM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
The EXC hub won't fit your 06 unless you sleeve down the forks for a thinner axle.

And the rim won't fit on your hub because they have a different indexing pattern.

I am facing a similar problem on my 03 in finding the correct wheel spacers...You probably recall that back in 04/05 KTM recalled the 03 640 A front wheel because of spoke breakage... The solution they came up with was to replace the whole wheel with the 450/525 unit using special made wheel spacers that allowed fitment to the smaller 640 axle...

Well, try to find these spacers now, not so easy... I checked the 2003 parts fiche and noticed that the old spacer # was superseded with a new # so I ordered a set thinking the right spacers would show up: Wrong, what showed up was a set of 525 spacers that are too large for the smaller 640 axle... My solution will be to have a sleeve made up and pressed in to take the spacer to the correct size, what a pain...

KTM used to offer an axle kit for mounting smaller axles on their forks... The ones I noticed went from 26mm to 20mm: http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...Zy0doX_NF5YRcw

So like you mention for the bigger forks something will likely have to be made from scratch to go this route...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:25 AM   #5
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 441
Last year I bought a 660 Rally that came with the original set of wheels plus two other sets of wheels. The Rally uses a 30mm axle but I now have the other two front wheels (all the same wheels) mounted on a 640 and 950. They all have different axle sizes but I have made them work by using the spacers from the the original bike wheels, so give it a try you may be surprised what will fit.
Lc8grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #6
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lc8grrr View Post
Last year I bought a 660 Rally that came with the original set of wheels plus two other sets of wheels. The Rally uses a 30mm axle but I now have the other two front wheels (all the same wheels) mounted on a 640 and 950. They all have different axle sizes but I have made them work by using the spacers from the the original bike wheels, so give it a try you may be surprised what will fit.
You are of course right mate, they use the same bearings so it's just a matter of getting wheels spacers with the right inner diameter. I corrected my post above.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lc8grrr View Post
My problem is my original spacers have nearly 100,000 miles on them and are well past being worn out... I now have a machinist friend making me up a new set because I have not being able to find replacements... Sleeving down a 26mm set wasn't workable because the axle flare is less than 26mm and would press on the sleeve only when you tighten the axle bolt.... A shouldered sleeve could be made but for all that hassle it is just simpler to make up a whole new proper spacer...

These 26mm are what you get when you order the superseded 2003 A part #... Some one screwed up there as the 2003 640 axle is 20mm...
Old 11-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Gunner,

If you want to be really nifty you could put a stainless wear ring over the area where the seal rides. This will make both the seal, the bearing and the spacer last much much longer.

If you made the whole thing out of stainless it's be pretty heavy if you only bore it out for a 20mm axle.

I used these made by Billet Race Craft in Australia, they sell them on Ebay and might make you a set with 20mm axle?

LukasM screwed with this post 11-06-2012 at 09:36 AM
Old 11-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
norcalstew OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Hmmm. I think I'l make a trip down to pick up my xc and try to fit it with the 640's spacers. Thats if the axle size is the same. I think it is. I'll post some results and pics when I try this.
06... Was a good year for me
norcalstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

I called KTM North America about the wheel spacers for the 03 640 A recall wheel... They said the part # has been updated in the parts Fiche and the correct superseded # to fit the 20 mm axle is 584 09 012 000.. This was the exact part # I ordered and according to the rep, I was sent the wrong spacers as pictured in my above post...

I just ordered another set spacers after the KTM NA rep guaranteed the # was right.... When I phoned in to the dealer he said the spacers were a special order coming from Austria so it is likely that the part will be the right one this time, fingers crossed....
Old 11-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
I called KTM North America about the wheel spacers for the 03 640 A recall wheel... They said the part # has been updated in the parts Fiche and the correct superseded # to fit the 20 mm axle is 584 09 012 000.. This was the exact part # I ordered and according to the rep, I was sent the wrong spacers as pictured in my above post...

I just ordered another set spacers after the KTM NA rep guaranteed the # was right.... When I phoned in to the dealer he said the spacers were a special order coming from Austria so it is likely that the part will be the right one this time, fingers crossed....
That could actually be right, I just checked and that spacer is only listed on the microfiches for the 01-03 640 Adv and no other bikes. Let us know!

Old 11-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

1 set ready

Here is a set of copies that my machinist friend made up:

It will be another week or so before the KTM ones arrive and I can confirm fitment...
Old 11-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #13
tdreyer
KTiM

Oddometer: 501
Looking at this and wondering, I have a 26mm axial front rim from my '04 SMC. The p/n for the hub is the same number as the hub on my' 04 SXC. If the hub is the same, shouldn't I be able to replace the seals, bearings, BEA.spacer tube and use my SXC spacers to fit the motard wheel to the SXC which has a 20mm axial?

If this is true then the bearings are the most expensive thing in the list to buy, anyone have the bearing number? Is it as common as the bearing on the rear? I ordered those from McMaster-Carr. I have not bought seals yet as I don't have a generic # for those either. Are seals easy to source or should I just stick with OEM parts?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

@ LukasM, my on line parts source shows the SMC and SXC having different bearing #, so simply snapping in the spacers doesn't seem to make this possible? Or, am I wrong? Guess I'll be pulling the front wheels tomorrow and see what I see.

"04625 SXC
'04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
'97 CR500 Sold

tdreyer screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 10:55 PM
tdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:00 AM   #14
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalstew View Post
I've been looking at replacing my banged up front rim on the Adv 640 and found a 525 complete wheel for sale.
It'll probably work for your model years, as long as the '06 EXC hasn't changed since '03. I have a 2003 200EXC and a 2005 640 Adventure. To run the EXC wheel in the 640, I've cut 4.5mm off each of a set of 640 wheel spacers because the hub width is 9mm different (but centred), and swapped on the spare RHS 640 brake disk. The EXC has the same 30mm ID bearing as the 640, but uses stepped internal-fitting spacers like on the rear wheel. This accounts for the different axle diameters. Just pop them out, pop in the cut-down 640 spacers, and you are good to go.
The Stable
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #15
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Just to an update on the 03 wheel spacers

The new spacers I ordered through KTM {back ordered from Austria} showed up Friday and they are indeed the correct products... Previously when I put out the part online #584 09 012 000 an Australian dealer were the only ones that said they had them in stock and were willing to ship so I went ahead... All the confusion started because they did not send me the correct part and went on about it as if there was no mistake made and therefore non refundable... After I contacted KTM N.A. on this issue and having them confirm that the parts sent were indeed wrong this dealer admitted they made the mistake... They then were willing to give me a refund after subtracking their shipping costs and my return shipping costs which would then amount to about a $5 refund on their $40 mistake... What a crock, I just sold them on flea market and took a lot less of a loss....

So part#584 09 012 000 is indeed the correct part # for the 03 recall wheel spacers, just don't order them through these guys:

http://mototech.com.au/search-oem-pa...tus=yes&bike=0

gunnerbuck screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 07:39 PM