Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #181
obnoxious2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
You're right, I've intentionally aimed them low, and I want people to be aware of that. Aiming them higher will get you much more distance. It's easy to see that by looking at the hot spot in front of the bike.

I have not had an issue with oncoming cars yet, but I am being very conservative in my aiming. Not only is it aimed low, but also slightly off to the right of the bike (to assist with the oncoming traffic thing).

The great thing about them is the adjust-ability, I'm one 13mm wrench and a hex away from tossing light down the road or into the trees.

I'm very happy with the total product, not just the lights, but the wiring, switch, dimmer, etc. (I was really happy to see actual copper wiring rather than el cheapo alum.) So far everything does exactly what it's supposed to do, every flick of the switch. I can't ask for more than that.

Thanks for the pics srad! I am also planning on running two 20 degrees but as my only driving lights (for road use). After looking at the pics I'm not as sure as I once was. I know the 20 degrees will still throw lights a good fair distance down the road but now I'm not sure I'll get enough fill closer to the bike. Do you think two 20 degrees would be enough?

Any other suggestion for lights then Darryl?
obnoxious2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #182
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by obnoxious2 View Post
Thanks for the pics srad! I am also planning on running two 20 degrees but as my only driving lights (for road use). After looking at the pics I'm not as sure as I once was. I know the 20 degrees will still throw lights a good fair distance down the road but now I'm not sure I'll get enough fill closer to the bike. Do you think two 20 degrees would be enough?
I think it depends on:
1) how you mount them
2) how you aim them

I would think that a stacked configuration (Dakar style) with one aimed down-ish as a low beam and the other aimed level as a high beam would work out brilliant.

I kinda wish other folks who've bought the same lights would post some photos, becuase I think mine are a bit deceiving due to my positioning and my iphone cam. I definitly would not base your decision only on my crappy iphotos though. If you're anywhere near me you're welcome to come out for a ride and check them out in person.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #183
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,011
Quote:
You're right, I've intentionally aimed them low, and I want people to be aware of that. Aiming them higher will get you much more distance. It's easy to see that by looking at the hot spot in front of the bike.

I have not had an issue with oncoming cars yet, but I am being very conservative in my aiming. Not only is it aimed low, but also slightly off to the right of the bike (to assist with the oncoming traffic thing).

The great thing about them is the adjust-ability, I'm one 13mm wrench and a hex away from tossing light down the road or into the trees.

I'm very happy with the total product, not just the lights, but the wiring, switch, dimmer, etc. (I was really happy to see actual copper wiring rather than el cheapo alum.) So far everything does exactly what it's supposed to do, every flick of the switch. I can't ask for more than that.
Thanks, I just want to make sure yourself and every other customer is completely satisfied. I run my light mounts snug but not real tight, that allows me to adjust on the fly with no tools, The rubber mounts in the u cradle make that easy to do.

Quote:

Any other suggestion for lights then Darryl?
I think two 20's aimed correctly is a good setup. Far more light than an HID stuck in a halogen bucket. It is very tough to get realistic night shots. I dont know if that is possible with a cell phone cam. The 610/615/630 light bar or a set of the 310 lights provides more light at a closer distance, good for about 300ft.
I think you will be happy with either two 20"s or a 20 and a 10 degree.
There is a major difference in the 10 to 20 degree in terms of distance capability.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278

Off Road Ryder screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 05:27 PM Reason: beam info
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #184
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,904
Quote:
So I've gotten a few requests for photos of these lights at night in the various positions and I've bowed to peer pressure so here goes.

I hope this helps some people out.
Appreciate the effort but the lights really need to be aimed up to show us their capability, even if it's just temporarily with that 13 mm wrench...
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #185
peterb
Long Distance Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
other lights

I don't have a bone in this one, no affiliation - even purchased and mounted Clearwaters on my RT a while back - down at the brake caliper level. Incredible conspicuity lights but that's it. I am guessing Cyclops addressed this with the lumen understanding - lots of bright from my Clearwaters butt it's not going anywhere.

What I have seen tells me either a pair of the 10deg set up with proper aiming would do one a lot of good for distance, or perhaps one of the 10's and one of the 20's. Real pleased to see the USofA represented here and at a decent price. Keep up the good work.

2000 BMW 1150 GS with >165k miles and more to come...

2007 BMW R1200RT - new 4/08 with >145K smiles ...
peterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #186
obnoxious2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Just placed my order. Hopefully they will be what I'm looking for, for my application. Can't wait to get them. Will post up pics after the install. Darryl was even nice enough to offer to cut my harness to my specifications!
obnoxious2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #187
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Just placed my order. Hopefully they will be what I'm looking for, for my application. Can't wait to get them. Will post up pics after the install. Darryl was even nice enough to offer to cut my harness to my specifications!
Thank You. We do custom setups quite often.
1-800-624-0278
Old 03-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #188
ilbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I'm looking at your 20 degree cyclops long range but also looking at the ridged driving lights as I ride through a lot of forests and back roads. Lots of deer running through and other critters. Do you have something that throws that type of light towards the side also?
ilbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #189
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbiker View Post
I'm looking at your 20 degree cyclops long range but also looking at the ridged driving lights as I ride through a lot of forests and back roads. Lots of deer running through and other critters. Do you have something that throws that type of light towards the side also?
Thanks for considering quality lights. We Have a lot of deer here in WA as well, I find the the 10 and 20 both work well for deer spotting.
I would recommend a combo set with the 20 deg on the right side, you can aim the lights slightly outward for more illumination to the side of the bike, and still benefit from the long range capability. We do have a 60 degree light in the same case available, however the distance is compromised significantly.
1-800-624-0278
Old 03-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #190
ilbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops Motorsports View Post
Thanks for considering quality lights. We Have a lot of deer here in WA as well, I find the the 10 and 20 both work well for deer spotting.
I would recommend a combo set with the 20 deg on the right side, you can aim the lights slightly outward for more illumination to the side of the bike, and still benefit from the long range capability. We do have a 60 degree light in the same case available, however the distance is compromised significantly.
I can't seem to locate them on your web site. Can you direct me to them?
ilbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #191
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbiker View Post
I can't seem to locate them on your web site. Can you direct me to them?
The different beam and harness options are in the drop down menu.
Thanks!
http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/?page=products&id=182
1-800-624-0278
Old 03-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #192
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,188
That beam looks too narrow for the way you're using them to me. I'd switch those on with the high beam and use them to spot on either side of the high beam I think. On the low beam you could put a set of flood pattern or similar to fill out the low beam a bit and provide more visibility to cars and such....

Just my 'pinion of course.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #193
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
That beam looks too narrow for the way you're using them to me. I'd switch those on with the high beam and use them to spot on either side of the high beam I think. On the low beam you could put a set of flood pattern or similar to fill out the low beam a bit and provide more visibility to cars and such....

Just my 'pinion of course.
I'm not sure I understand your post. Why would you need more lights?
These LEDs are made for long distance forward lighting, with the combo setup and common sense aiming, you can get a good amount of fill and distance from the same setup. Personally,I would not run floods on my bike under any circumstance. I do know that others could think different than I do, We have Flood patterned lights for those applications. This light is also available in a 60 Degree lens as well. Any interest in that?
I primarily ride with my LEDs using High/low and leave the headlight on low, It is really pretty much useless when compared to the Long Range LEDs. I also have reason to want my LEDs and headlight to be operated completely separately and independent of each other.
The 10 degree light produces a main beam about 15/20ft wide at approx 100ft, there is also light spill out from the main beam focus.I will attempt to take an exact measurement.
a set more than covers the entire roadway, of course how you have them angled plays into that quite a bit. For deer avoidance I think the Combo 10/20 degree works well
While out riding Saturday during the day light hrs, I had at least 4 other riders comment on how well they could see my bike in daylight, I was pretty happy about that. Beam angle isn't going to have much of an affect during the day, but when it gets dark thats a whole different ball game.
Beam angle doesn't mean much during the day.
I dint know of a single other light in the 50 other LED lights we carry,that would be as versatile as a combo beam setup, you get long range with a good amount of fill.

Would some photos of lights aimed lower help riders get a better Idea?
here is a set of 10 degree lights aimed for distance and fill, Note the light starts almost at the point of generation, both pointed to be a continuous beam.

Same 10 degree lights aimed a bit farther out and up a bit for longer range. The light path is probably close to 50 ft wide.

Are there other Photos that you guys would like to see?
1-800-624-0278

Off Road Ryder screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 08:58 PM
Old 03-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #194
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,633
Well hell, since you asked, I'd like to see a photo of those lights on my bike. I'll have to wait a bit though.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #195
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Well hell, since you asked, I'd like to see a photo of those lights on my bike. I'll have to wait a bit though.
I would love to see that as well. Thanks.
1-800-624-0278