Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 04:48 AM   #436
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
Went on a ride with some buddies a week or so ago, and I was using the afore-mentioned twins as DRL's.

THAT was not well received by my riding buddies-- the lights are simply too bright for that, they said. I confirmed this several days later after I traded bikes & rode ahead of my own: it was like looking at an arc welder in action.

These things are seriously bright.

Interestingly enough, I've not yet had a chance to use them at night because of the long summer days.
With the exception of the Piaa 530LPs just about all the LED driving lights are too annoyingly bright to run 100 percent in daytime. I run my Piaa 1100s at 20 percent on low beam, switching to 100 percent on high beam courtesy of a Skene dimmer. When I ride with friends at night, we aim our mirrors down so we can run on high beam on dark back roads.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #437
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
With the exception of the Piaa 530LPs just about all the LED driving lights are too annoyingly bright to run 100 percent in daytime. I run my Piaa 1100s at 20 percent on low beam, switching to 100 percent on high beam courtesy of a Skene dimmer. When I ride with friends at night, we aim our mirrors down so we can run on high beam on dark back roads.
I don't know, mine never come off 100% during day time driving.
I like to be seen and drivers don't seem to be to irritated, sometimes they do switch lanes allowing me to pass, I kind of like that
Im also finding that I never get flashed when operating the dimming feature at night.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #438
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ive been asked why we use 20 amp fuses and 18 gage wire in our harnesses when the lights only draw .88 amps each.
It would cost us far less to use 22 or 24 gage wire and wimpy fuses.

In my 12 plus years of off road night racing experience, I have seen many lighting failures due to broken wires and blown fuses. Fuses can and will fail due to vibration.
What we have learned from off road racing is passed on to the Long Range and other Cyclops products wiring harnesses.

You wont be in the dark due to a broken harness wire or fuse element that has vibrated loose.

If you have an existing wire harness and don't want to change it, our lights will work on any DC harness just by changing the harness plug with the ones in the kit.
The Cyclops dimmers are unique, these lights will not run from a Skene or other dimmer setup. Or at least none that I have seen.
1-800-624-0278

Off Road Ryder screwed with this post 07-30-2013 at 08:35 PM
Old 07-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #439
Dirt_Bag
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
It was great talking with you today. Cleared up a lot of questions about installing them. With your harness there is several ways to set it up.
I will be doing this, PC-8, H 4 relay, Brake/Tail/Signal Adapter, Coocase. This weekend.

Then ride.
Dirt_Bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #440
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops Motorsports View Post
I don't know, mine never come off 100% during day time driving.
I like to be seen and drivers don't seem to be to irritated, sometimes they do switch lanes allowing me to pass, I kind of like that
Im also finding that I never get flashed when operating the dimming feature at night.
I've got a friend using your Optimus 10s and have seen them on in daytime at 100 percent in my mirrors. Extremely bright, like two suns searing my retinas... Maybe everyone's stoned in your neck of the woods and can't be bothered to flash you.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #441
Dirt_Bag
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
I've got a friend using your Optimus 10s and have seen them on in daytime at 100 percent in my mirrors. Extremely bright, like two suns searing my retinas... Maybe everyone's stoned in your neck of the woods and can't be bothered to flash you.
There is more truth to that than you can believe. King County home of the liberal tree huggin dope smokers in birkenstocks.
Dirt_Bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #442
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ha.. they probably are
I do get comments from other riders Im with about the light in their mirrors, light reflecting from a mirror is much differnt6 than light coming at ya.
And I also run a 610 light bar.
Driver glare is one area where a well focused single emitter light is superior to multi emitter setups.

I ran video the other night while riding on and off the road, It didn't go so well as the camera just didn't pick up the light as I was seeing it, but there might be some decent sections in there somewhere.
Just have to find some time to edit it down.
1-800-624-0278
Old 07-31-2013, 09:42 PM   #443
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_Bag View Post
It was great talking with you today. Cleared up a lot of questions about installing them. With your harness there is several ways to set it up.
I will be doing this, PC-8, H 4 relay, Brake/Tail/Signal Adapter, Coocase. This weekend.

Then ride.

Thanks !!

You should have your lights tomorrow.
1-800-624-0278
Old 08-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #444
michigan400
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...roducts&id=136

How is the light output from these? Does the prime drive make them any brighter than the square pods? The long range units are just to big to put on my 450 so I was thinking about a pair of these in the 20 degree pattern wired to come on with my high beam. Is there a 10 degree beam available with those? Bike is a 2004 ktm 450 exc. Thanks!
michigan400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #445
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan400 View Post
http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...roducts&id=136

How is the light output from these? Does the prime drive make them any brighter than the square pods? The long range units are just to big to put on my 450 so I was thinking about a pair of these in the 20 degree pattern wired to come on with my high beam. Is there a 10 degree beam available with those? Bike is a 2004 ktm 450 exc. Thanks!
Thanks for asking.
They are quite a bit brighter than the square versions due to optics and a higher driving current to the LED.
They are available in a 10 degree beam pattern and quite a bit lighter than the squares. The 10 degree is not on our site, so please call in if that's what you want. Those are the lights we supply to Tesla electric vehicles.
We usually mount them to the Barkbusters on a dirt based bike.
You would run them from the battery on your EXC.
1-800-624-0278
Old 08-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #446
michigan400
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Thanks for asking.
They are quite a bit brighter than the square versions due to optics and a higher driving current to the LED.
They are available in a 10 degree beam pattern and quite a bit lighter than the squares. The 10 degree is not on our site, so please call in if that's what you want. Those are the lights we supply to Tesla electric vehicles.
We usually mount them to the Barkbusters on a dirt based bike.
You would run them from the battery on your EXC.
Thanks for the info! Brighter and lighter is what I'm looking for. I'll get with you soon. Thanks!
michigan400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:55 AM   #447
JamesK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Ive been asked why we use 20 amp fuses and 18 gage wire in our harnesses when the lights only draw .88 amps each.
It would cost us far less to use 22 or 24 gage wire and wimpy fuses.

In my 12 plus years of off road night racing experience, I have seen many lighting failures due to broken wires and blown fuses. Fuses can and will fail due to vibration.
What we have learned from off road racing is passed on to the Long Range and other Cyclops products wiring harnesses.

You wont be in the dark due to a broken harness wire or fuse element that has vibrated loose.

If you have an existing wire harness and don't want to change it, our lights will work on any DC harness just by changing the harness plug with the ones in the kit.
The Cyclops dimmers are unique, these lights will not run from a Skene or other dimmer setup. Or at least none that I have seen.
I am confused, why wouldn't these lights work with a Skene dimmer unit, that unit simply controls the output of whatever is connected to it, so why not?

If you see my bike on a trailer call 911

TBA 904, IBA 27221
JamesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #448
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
I am confused, why wouldn't these lights work with a Skene dimmer unit, that unit simply controls the output of whatever is connected to it, so why not?
We use a 3 wire setup, with the main circuit board for the dimmer inside the lights.
Why? due to the fact that dimming LEDs by dropping voltage not only changes the K color of the lights, but can also lead to early LED failures.
Keeping constant voltage at the LED and using true pulse width modulation is a much more reliable way to dim the lights.
1-800-624-0278
Old 08-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #449
fluff34567
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,018
As Darryl knows I made an order earlier.

Why him than other companies? He took time to answer my questions gave me honest opinions and suggested alternative cheaper products to my original product wishes.

And I am saving about 1/3 on European prices. :;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
fluff34567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #450
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff34567 View Post
As Darryl knows I made an order earlier.

Why him than other companies? He took time to answer my questions gave me honest opinions and suggested alternative cheaper products to my original product wishes.

And I am saving about 1/3 on European prices. :;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Thank You!
Im not here just to take your cash. Our mission is to help a rider get what will work well for them given their particular needs.
A light is not just a light. Riders want to see or be seen better, what works well for one, might not be the best choice for another.
If we do our job well, next time you or a riding buddy needs to see better, you will immediately know where to go.
1-800-624-0278