User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #226
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 1,940
SHIFT body weight was what I said.

zeb: Keel up, keel down, sails out...hike a bit harder.. now we're on common ground- standing up is like hiking out and not cleating the mainsheet when flying the kite in 50 knts
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #227
Oldfatbeerman
Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer: 3,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECKS-Man View Post

Just adding some words what have somehow been missed in this thread...

Somehow I think you are all trying to convince each other the same thing and that what we have here is a communication problem!
Yep , everybody's arse looks big when they wear the wrong coloured Nylons !
Old 11-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #228
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr AT View Post
SHIFT body weight was what I said.

zeb: Keel up, keel down, sails out...hike a bit harder.. now we're on common ground- standing up is like hiking out and not cleating the mainsheet when flying the kite in 50 knts
I suspect it's actually more like shifting about on a Moth as opposed to sitting still on a Noelex...

PS, I'm more sort of pez than zeb here on account of zebedee already being taken, by someone else in Melbourne too!

eepeqez screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 09:49 PM Reason: Avatar fixed
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #229
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 1,940
Perhaps...but I can look at your avatar, realise it's upside down, understand the psychology and call you whatever I like

ps this came from a strom thread- more like sitting back in a mac

Dr AT screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 11:04 PM
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:37 AM   #230
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post

But I certainly do understand about centre of mass (misleadingly called centre of gravity by some) and that it is a property of masses, not of forces. It is entirely about masses and their locations, not about the forces that support them.

If you cannot grasp this, I would suggest it is you who has a little learning and very little understanding.

Wondered how long it would take someone to come up with the centre of mass thing.

As for the rest of the quote, well it just demonstrates your complete lack of understanding of the whole subject - what we are discussing here is the complex dynamics of a body in motion, and any mass in motion will create a force.

And it is the forces that these masses create that we are discussing here, as we are discussing moving motorcycles.

Well most of use are, but if you want to discuss the handling of stationery motorcycles perhaps you would be better to give us the benefit of your expertise on that subject on another thread
Old 11-14-2012, 06:26 AM   #231
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 172
standing up might help

CG explained here
http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=207&Set=176-210

Getting too technical about CG might only confuse us. Riding skills are complicated and sometimes standing up helps maneuver a bike.
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #232
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerboff View Post
Wondered how long it would take someone to come up with the centre of mass thing.

As for the rest of the quote, well it just demonstrates your complete lack of understanding of the whole subject - what we are discussing here is the complex dynamics of a body in motion, and any mass in motion will create a force.
Oh dear. You really are so far out of your depth it is past funny.

Masses in motions do not create forces.

This is really really basic stuff. Read up on Newton's first law.

Quote:
And it is the forces that these masses create that we are discussing here, as we are discussing moving motorcycles.
And somewhere in the middle of this misguided homespun alternative physics discussion of masses creating forces and weights changing as objects moved, and so on, the perennial claim that standing up on the pegs lowers the centre of mass of a motorcycle and its rider appeared, confirming for anyone who was in any doubt that the writers had no clue about the physics they were seeking to invoke.

Quote:
Well most of use are, but if you want to discuss the handling of stationery motorcycles perhaps you would be better to give us the benefit of your expertise on that subject on another thread
If you can't get such basics as centre of mass, W=mg and F=ma correct, I can't see that you're in any position to invoke your special homespun version of physics to explain how a moving motorcycle works.

At no point have I ventured an opinion about the benefits of standing up on the pegs.

All I have done is to shoot down in flames some really basic mistakes.
  • Centre of mass is a property of masses and their locations and has nothing to do with the location, direction or magnitude of the forces supporting those masses.
  • Weight of a mass is constant in a constant gravitational field. When you go over a hump and get "weightless" for a short time, you do not become weightless, you accelerate downwards at g; 9.8m/ss.
  • Masses in motion do not "create forces". They have momentum and kinetic energy.
Reading some of the stuff written here is like reading "alternative medicine" mumbo jumbo. It's got some of the right words, but that's where it ends.

Using the right words and weaving them into complex sounding sentences may convince yourself, but it doesn't make any of what you write correct when it is laid of foundations of quicksand, foundations of a centre of mass which is dependent upon how the mass is supported, weights that change because they are moving (at speeds where relativistic effects are trivial) and masses that "create forces".

Believing in alternative medicine is almost understandable but Newtonian physics is so basic and well understood that it is taught in high school to 16yos. The idea of believing in your own alternative physics is just plain daft.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #233
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Little kid: "Sir, sir! Your motorbike is falling over, the side stand is sinking in the quicksand!"

Beemerboff: "Shutup kid, what would you know about flux capacitors!"
Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 AM   #234
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,028
Wink

I grabbed this still from the opening bike chase in the new Bond movie, Skyfall (Incredible riding skills in that scene by the way)

Which of the previously mentioned cornering techniques is being demonstrated in this fast right-hander? Discuss

Old 11-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #235
Oldfatbeerman
Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer: 3,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
I grabbed this still from the opening bike chase in the new Bond movie, Skyfall (Incredible riding skills in that scene by the way)

Which of the previously mentioned cornering techniques is being demonstrated in this fast right-hander? Discuss

Photoshop
Old 11-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #236
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post

Maybe, or it could be he's was turning left and the bike is well on it's way to highside him into the road?

I can hear the road saying "So, we meet again, Mr Bond!"
Old 11-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #237
Russ

Oddometer: 15,391
Next week we should discuss the merits or lack thereof when it comes to counter steering.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #238
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDADVGS View Post
Next week we should discuss the merits or lack thereof when it comes to counter steering.

countersteering is over-rated.
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #239
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,568
Quote:
Can we discuss countersteering after we move this thread to perfect line.

There is no Australian specific content and the contributors come from an international pool.
I'm sure there are many more keyboard jockeys on Perfect Line who would like to play this game. (again)

After taking a dip in the bigger pond of perfect line the thread could be moved to the basement where some of the present contributors can see how total tossers behave on line.
Maybe then they will learn something to aspire to and practice.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #240
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
.. in relation to shaft driven bikes and why they cannot be countersteered...

follow that up why a motorcycle cannot have a capacity of more than 1351cc

welcome to alt.rec.motorcycles...