Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #16
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,590
I'd like to stand up on the pegs on my bmw but it will be only further to fall.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #17
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggs View Post
If you stand up on the pegs while riding you HAVE LOWERED the centre of gravity of bike and rider as one, if you sit on the seat you HAVE RAISED the centre of gravity of bike and rider as one. This is not an opinion it's a fact!
Tiggs, it's not fact, it's a common misconception. Equal amongst myths like KTM's are unreliable and girls can't ride motorbikes.

Total COG goes upward, but because the riders fulcrum point is lowered and leverage is increased , the rider has more control of the bike. At this point we should ask an engineering type to draw some pictures
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
Matt D
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
I don't really get all caught up in centre of gravity nonsense, you're constantly adjusting the body language anyway so to say you should stand or sit is a bit silly really.. Weighting the pegs is an advanced technique? When I started riding dirt I was taught to steer the bike almost exclusively by weighting the pegs, with very minimal upper body input. I find it makes a huge difference to the amount of traction you get - infact some terrain is damn near impossible to ride if you don't.
Say you're riding a steep clay cross slope on single track and you need to turn a hairpin back up the hill. Without weighting the pegs correctly and riding outside the bike you won't be going very far!
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #19
Tiggs
Dreamin of Adventure

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by farawayman View Post
How does standing on a chair lower the centre of gravity compared to sitting on it?
Deferent on a motorbike I guess

And since when did your opinion become fact?

How often do I need to change the BMW air in my tyres and where do I get some for a reasonable price?
Please dont be a wanker! You missed the point!

I said this is NOT AN OPINION, it is a fact! So it's not my opinion or anyone's opinion it is the science of gravity.

2011 Yamaha XT660R
Tiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #20
Midnullarbor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Tiggsie, I weep for you.

Also, I would be very interested to hear which other forums are having a discussion on "CoGs" and "weighting the pegs".

AFAIK the only thread about that, running at the moment, is on a Strom-based forum.
Having an interest in that thread, I went back and read through it very thoroughly.
Nowhere did anyone state that what we loosely call "weighting the pegs" made no difference.
Possibly someone reading through the thread at 400 words per minute might have got that impression ~ but a careful read shows that was not what was actually said or intended.

There, the question of "CoGs" was rather more entertaining . . . if you like being entertained by a lot of people at cross-purposes, owing to some failures to recognise what engineers mean by the term.
And that confusion seems to be raising its head now in this ADV thread !

Alas, the problems that come from misunderstandings and poor communication . . .

* Matt D is expressing things very well ~ and I like his term "riding outside the bike", which is a much more meaningful term than the traditional-but-sloppy "weighting the peg". Good onya.
Midnullarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #21
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggs View Post
Please dont be a wanker! You missed the point!

I said this is NOT AN OPINION, it is a fact! So it's not my opinion or anyone's opinion it is the science of gravity.
Please show your working...
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #22
Tiggs
Dreamin of Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr AT View Post
Tiggs, it's not fact, it's a common misconception. Equal amongst myths like KTM's are unreliable and girls can't ride motorbikes.

Total COG goes upward, but because the riders fulcrum point is lowered and leverage is increased , the rider has more control of the bike. At this point we should ask an engineering type to draw some pictures
Sorry Doc AT I should've realized by the amount of posts you have to your name that you are an expert. My apologies!

2011 Yamaha XT660R
Old 11-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #23
Tiggs
Dreamin of Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I don't really get all caught up in centre of gravity nonsense, you're constantly adjusting the body language anyway so to say you should stand or sit is a bit silly really.. Weighting the pegs is an advanced technique? When I started riding dirt I was taught to steer the bike almost exclusively by weighting the pegs, with very minimal upper body input. I find it makes a huge difference to the amount of traction you get - infact some terrain is damn near impossible to ride if you don't.
Say you're riding a steep clay cross slope on single track and you need to turn a hairpin back up the hill. Without weighting the pegs correctly and riding outside the bike you won't be going very far!
Agreed. Well said.

2011 Yamaha XT660R
Old 11-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #24
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,239
What about this bloke?

Is he lowering his C.O.G.?
woopwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #25
philth
philth

Oddometer: 6,080
[QUOTE=Midnullarbor;19978157]Tiggsie, I weep for you.

Also, I would be very interested to hear which other forums are having a discussion on "CoGs" and "weighting the pegs".

AFAIK the only thread about that, running at the moment, is on a Strom-based forum.

eventually, all threads take a full circle and return to v strom
Old 11-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #26
Young-Gun
KTM Tragic

Oddometer: 820
suspension?

does the perceived/actual increase in control purely depend on the CoG or would it also have something to do with the fact that you're immediatley adding in your legs as another level of suspension...
Young-Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #27
Quirky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
This is going to get messy, real quick.
Have fun
Old 11-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #28
llewdaert
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
And there is a good reason for that

It comes as no surprise to me, and,without a doubt...... the vstrom should be at the start- in the lead- and vstrom still going strong at the end [and way beyond].

It is also known the only way to ride a vstrom on the dirt, fast, is standing on the pegs. If perhaps it needs to corner, weighting the pegs and sliding is an essential survival technique.

All thought of COG , fulcrums, 2 COG'S or otherwise should be absent from the riders brain.

[QUOTE=philth;19978223]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnullarbor View Post
Tiggsie, I weep for you.

eventually, all threads take a full circle and return to v strom
llewdaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #29
racca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Lowering th CoG is really quite useful when riding on dirt. I've found the easiest way is to lower your tyre pressure, thus dropping the height of rider and bike. Easy. But wait, there's more, take the wheels of your bike completely and you have lowered the centre of gravity even more.

Who farted?
racca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #30
Eddywoodgo
two wheeled nomad

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by racca View Post
Lowering th CoG is really quite useful when riding on dirt. I've found the easiest way is to lower your tyre pressure, thus dropping the height of rider and bike. Easy. But wait, there's more, take the wheels of your bike completely and you have lowered the centre of gravity even more.

Who farted?
and your going to reduce your chances of an off greatly
Eddywoodgo is offline   Reply With Quote